Lima production finish?

I can see that this hobby/interest is MASSIVE. The more i watch this web site the more i am impressed with the skills that members have. The skills shown and shared are very diverse and interesting.

The whole railway scene from full size 4'8-1/2" to z guage ( which i think is the smalles guage) is so widely covered that anyone who looks in can not fail to be impressed and i am sure that there is something for everyone to have an interest in here . I recently attended a railway show in Birchencliffe in Huddersfield and the layouts were great, the people running them were all helpfull and interesting and very encouraging.

So i have been looking around at models and the brand Lima seems to be reasonable priced, my question is are they still manufactured or not and if not when were they last made?

Cheers

Bri

Hi

Lima have not made any new models for years, Hornby brought some of there loco's and still make them now days.

The old Lima models had very poor motors in them and would not run very well at slow speed, personally I would not buy any old Lima loco's as they are no way up to anything of modern standard.

Darren

The old Lima models had very poor motors in them and would not run very well at slow speed, personally I would not buy any old Lima loco's as they are no way up to anything of modern standard.

Darren

Whilst this is generally true, there are some notable exceptions - the HST and Class 101 being two of their better models. Motors are a lucky dip - some are good and some aren't, but you can get remotoring kits which don't cost the Earth and you end up with a passable model for not very much money.

i have about thirty lima locos i have very little trouble with them spares are still fairly easy to find on e-bay or on facebook model railway sites. they are easy to service

and in most cases fairly cheap. if you look at diesel-trains.co.uk you will find replacement motors for around £12 and traction tyres, magnets and armatures in fact

everything you need to keep them running. another advantage of lima is the vast choice of liveries. have a look around toy fairs, i have bought lots of non-runners

cheap and brought them back to life! remember the whole model railway hobby doesn't have to revolve around Hornby and Bachmann.

Nothing wrong with Lima.  Sure, they've been totally outclassed by the current offerings from other manufacturers but as a good starting point for upgrades, they're excellent.  I have acquired nearly 30 over the years, they all still go very well.  If one stops it's usually down to dirty wheels or a loose wire from the trailing to the motor bogie.

Hi

Lima have not made any new models for years, Hornby brought some of there loco's and still make them now days.

Darren

If you want locos to run slowly with light loads or on something like a depot layout I agree. If however, you have a large layout where you can run long heavy trains Lima locos will crawl along quite happily.

There must be something wrong with my Lima locos.

I have 2 x Class 50, 1 Class 37, 1 Class 47 and the DMU (117) and ALL will crawl along at slow speed without load. They were all purchased pre1992 and have since 2010 added a Class 31 for £30 which is also a great slow runner. (Because I sure ain't paying 150 notes for a Hornby one!)

As long as the wheels are kept clean they are great.

Oh, I forgot about the Class 20 - another great runner which shed it's traction tyres - Hornby ones fit a treat!

I have a few Lima models. There where some made with HO Bogies fitted class 50 & class 55 . The first Class 33's they made where in HO scale.  In my view there best loco's for detail where there class 31/37/47/59/60/. And the best of all there class 73's .

There must be something wrong with my Lima locos.

I have 2 x Class 50, 1 Class 37, 1 Class 47 and the DMU (117) and ALL will crawl along at slow speed without load. They were all purchased pre1992 and have since 2010 added a Class 31 for £30 which is also a great slow runner. (Because I sure ain't paying 150 notes for a Hornby one!)

As long as the wheels are kept clean they are great.

Oh, I forgot about the Class 20 - another great runner which shed it's traction tyres - Hornby ones fit a treat!

you can get lima traction tyres and motor spares from diesel-trains.co.uk they do a mixed pack large and small

Brian,

You're fine with Lima Class 20s. Wherever possible though, try for the ones with the 5 pole motors as they run much better. In addition, either type can easily be fitted with a flywheel though and that helps immensely.

Also, Lima never made a Class 25. What you have probably seen going cheap are the old Hornby ones. Again, with effort they can be made into good models but unless you're happy doing the work, you are probably better off with a s/hand Bachmann one.

steve

Also, don't get me started on traction tyres! Horrendous things that make your track dirty and reduce the number of available wheels for pick-up collection.

I swapped the wheels out on all my Lima locos when I had them to get rid of the tyres and fitted finer scale wheel sets from Ultrascale.

steve

I can see that this hobby/interest is MASSIVE. The more i watch this web site the more i am impressed with the skills that members have. The skills shown and shared are very diverse and interesting.

The whole railway scene from full size 4'8-1/2" to z guage ( which i think is the smalles guage) is so widely covered that anyone who looks in can not fail to be impressed and i am sure that there is something for everyone to have an interest in here . I recently attended a railway show in Birchencliffe in Huddersfield and the layouts were great, the people running them were all helpfull and interesting and very encouraging.

So i have been looking around at models and the brand Lima seems to be reasonable priced, my question is are they still manufactured or not and if not when were they last made?

Cheers

Bri

Smallest   currently  avaliable  gauge  is  T  gauge  3mm track  Gauge  ( Z  is  6.5mm)  I have  modelled  in  Z  but  dont  think  I would  bother  with  T  !! :no:

Hi bri, Lima is good as a starting point given the immense variety of loco types and liveries, and compared with current offerings from Bachmann, Hornby etc the mechanisms are simple and easy to maintain, and although the tyres are not to everyone's choice it's not the end of the world.

Relatively low prices do offer the opportunity to develop weathering skills etc, and the locos that are now part of the Hornby railroad range have a slightly better mechanism but are let down by a lack of weight in the chassis.

I have heard rumours about poor Lima motors, but all of mine work well, so perhaps I've been lucky. They do need a decent control unit to run really slowly I find (they are not alone is this!) - either a variable transformer or an electronic type.

I have over 35 Lima locomotives and most have been converted to DCC

and fitted with lights and lightly weathered if you completely strip the motor

assembly and using an old toothbrush clean all the gears wheels and lightly

oil the moving parts you will find that these locos run ok

A replacement  motor is available  and will give even better running

The ones that have been converted to DCC have excellent control over slow running

David Wexford

Once again thank you for all the replies. I have tried to do my homework and see that the current railroad Hornby offerings are old Lima moulded stuff!

I missed out on a class 37 today on Ebay by £1.00. It made £21 --- I was on a telephone when the bidding ended and missed it, what a walley.

I have selected the layout I will make and have the timber. Off on holiday tomorrow so it will have to wait a week before I can start. It will be dcc and the layout is called "Ashburton" it's GW area which does not really bother me seeing that I am in West Yorkshire I am in no way a purist, just doing it for pastime. I came across it on here on another thread, it was designed by a Mr CJ Freezer.

Brian

I snap up green Lima class 31's (or blue with bufferbeam skirt and unrefurbed body). My Hornby class 31's have been consigned to the scrap bin with broken chassis. I think the Lima class 31 is the best representation and mine all run smoothly even at low speeds.

Archived