Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

Looking at the photo's on the Hornby site the cab pony looks like it's fixed, i really hope it is not or it's going to look very strange going round cruves with the pony sticking out.

Also the flangeless wheel look bad, hope this can be changed, But again that depends on the cab pony?.

Darren.

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Gold

We had a parcel left recently and a note put through the door saying "left in back porch". This amused me as we have no back porch - found said parcel just sitting on the patio in the rain. Was not amused anymore :-(

Best parcel company in this area is DPD.

Roy

Yes, agree about DPD

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the photo's on the Hornby site the cab pony looks like it's fixed, i really hope it is not or it's going to look very strange going round cruves with the pony sticking out.

Also the flangeless wheel look bad, hope this can be changed, But again that depends on the cab pony?.

Darren.

The fixed rear pony with flangeless wheels has been standard practice on newly tooled Hornby Pacifics for quite a while. You have (up to now) got a pair with flanges in the box.

Similar-sized locos will only go round curves of 3ft radius or larger with the flanged ones fitted. 

Britannias can be tweaked a bit to go round a 2ft 6in radius but I haven't tried the trick on anything else yet.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Darren.

Hi Darren

You had previously asked this on the Hornby 2017 announcement thread and I answered as follows:

I have just checked the CADs, that I am privy too, and the rear pony truck is a separate part but fixed (as per other recent 4-6-2) to allow for better representation of the ash pan etc. and it does also show the flangeless wheelset, but I can not advise if they will include a flanged version with the loco, but as it is the same wheelset as per all the other Hornby Bulleid Pacific releases it should not be too difficult to get hold of one.

• RMweb Gold

Graham, just for clarification are we talking about the Air-Smoothed or Modified Merchant Navy rear pony truck being fixed or both?

(I think Darren was asking about the proposed British India Line)

As this thread is about the Air Smoothed version I have replied accordingly. but as you say his question on the Hornby 2017 thread could be about either, I must admit I assumed it was with respect to the new tooled Air Smoothed version.

• RMweb Gold

As this thread is about the Air Smoothed version I have replied accordingly. but as you say his question on the Hornby 2017 thread could be about either, I must admit I assumed it was with respect to the new tooled Air Smoothed version.

As Hornby announced British India Line as a model for 2017, I'm pretty sure that's what Darren meant.

• RMweb Gold

The picture of British India Line on Hornby's website definitely shows the movable truck as fitted to previous rebuilt MNs. 

However, it also shows the old-style tender coupling arrangement so it is certain to be a Photoshopped image of an earlier model, and is therefore not to be relied upon.

I guess we won't know for certain until much closer to the release date.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Andy York:

Can't we correct the title of this topic to: Hornby Air Smoothed Bulleid Merchant Navy Pacific

It doesn't need to be, any Bulleid connoisseur can tell the difference between an Air-smoothed and a Modified Merchant Navy. Why clog the forum with numerous threads about the same loco, just in different forms?

• Like 2

Royal Mail will be the first freshly released loco I've ever owned fresh off the production line, that's quite exciting :) since I got back into the hobby last year, the only other item I've had pre ordered and delivered are the ex LSWR Maunsells. Historically, when I was a kid, I guess 1993-2002ish most of my trains aside from Christmas and birthday presents came from second hand stalls, its exciting to be part of something brand new and to be among one of the first owners :)

• Like 1

It doesn't need to be, any Bulleid connoisseur can tell the difference between an Air-smoothed and a Modified Merchant Navy. Why clog the forum with numerous threads about the same loco, just in different forms?

I am talking about Hornby's model representations of the locomotives. not the prototype locomotives. These are two entirely different models from different times and probably different Chines manufacturers. Keeping the model topics separate would be a service to the less knowledgeable.

As far as I understand Bulleid had nothing to do with the BR rebuild of the MN and WC/BB locomotives.

• RMweb Gold

Other than providing the raw material, of course. :jester:

They are essentially the same loco - apart from the following:

1. Special Valve Gear & rocker shafts
  2. Inside Cylinder
  3. Smokebox, superheater header, steampipes, etc.
  4. Reversing Gear
  5. Piston Heads & Shafts
  6. Oil Bath
  7. Air Smoothed Casing
  8. Mechanical Lubricator
  9. Regulator
  10. Ashpan & Grate
  11. Cylinder drain cocks
  12. Sandboxes
  13. Tender (raves & fire iron tunnel, tank sieves, water level gauge & intermediate drawbar)

This except comes from Proposal to Modify the Locomotives (Merchant Navies, Battle of Britain's & West Countries) found on Page 64 & 65 of The Book of the Merchant Navy Pacifics (Irwell Press)

• RMweb Gold

A BB or WC west of Exeter, yes, but a MN - anywhere ? 

I wouldn't have thought so, there wouldn't have been many branches capable of taking the axle-loading for one thing.

The much-cited practice with the light Pacifics was, as I understand it, a Padstow-Wadebridge service that utilised a loco off a terminating train which would otherwise have worked light engine to Wadebridge shed. 

John

I wasn't gonna get one as there 2 big for my medium sized branch line. But after reading the review and seeing clan line I'm very very tempted.

Big james

If you want one order now. Clan Line and Channel Packet look likely to sell out as soon as they arrive. The other two shortly thereafter.

• RMweb Gold

A BB or WC west of Exeter, yes, but a MN - anywhere ?

On the eastern section ,boat trains including the Arrow to Folkestone/Dover from Victoria. On the western section,Waterloo-Bournemouth-Weymouth and Waterloo-Salisbury-Exeter. I have a feeling also that they may on occasion have worked to Oxford from Bournemouth on inter regional trains

Allocations were to Nine Elms (70A) Salisbury 72B,Bournemouth 71B,Exmouth Junction 72A,Stewart's Lane 73A and Dover 74?