Who wants a newly tooled Class 91?

DaveClass47

The Class 91 poll  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Are you content with the level of detail on the current tooled Hornby Class 91 locomotive and MK4 DVT?

2. 2. What features would you like to see on a retooled Class 91 and MK4 DVT 00 gauge locomotive?

• Full DCC motor to modern standards (in the Class 91 Locomotive)
    • Super detail body shell with etched grilles, flush glazing etc
    • Retooled Bogies
    • Working Head and Tail lights
    • Working Pantograph
    • Detailed interiors
    • NEM Close couplers
    • Sprung opening cab doors
    • Sprung buffers
    • Options within the tooling for sound fitting
  3. 3. Would you be interested in adding a Class 91 to your layout?

• Yes, the current model is fine for me
    • Yes, but only if its re-tooled as the current model is out dated.
    • No, I am not interested in this model.
  4. 4. What liveries would you like to see a newly re tooled Hornby Class 91, Mk4 rolling stock and MK4 DVT released in?

• Original Intercity Swallow Livery
    • GNER
    • National Express East Coast
    • East Coast Trains (currently released by Hornby - 2015 Catalog)
    • New Virgin East Coast
    • None
  5. 5. What other Electric locomotives do you have on your layout?

• Hornby Class 91 (current tooling)
    • Hornby Class 90
    • Bachmann Class 85
    • Heljan Class 86
    • Hornby (Ex lima) Class 87
    • The New Bachmann Class 90 (tick if you have a pre order for this item or intend to purchase - due for release in 2015))
    • none

I also think the / a new tooled Class 91 should be top spec  & not Railroad spec.

I would even buy a other brand ( B ) Class 91 if they built it to a top spec finish

Another brand B?....Mmm, I wonder who that is?! lol

Yes I agree.   I dont know why anyone would be satisfied with the current offering, other than those who dont like detailed locos.

More than anything else, I wish Hornby re-tool their Class 91 and re-release this special livery once again.....

139722527491110.JPG

Cheers!

J.

Yes I agree, I have one of these locos.  Its the best detailed paint job I have ever seen on a model loco.  But every time I look at it I think "Oh I wish it had working lights!"   And etched grilles, sprung buffers.....and so on!!

• Agree 1

So just out of interest when does the poll close and how are the results going to be fed back to Hornby? How many people need to vote for Hornby to say yes let's do it? Could this poll be self defeating if only a few vote Hornby could say there is no interest let's not bother!

(Substitute Hornby for model maker of your choice)!

Mark

So just out of interest when does the poll close and how are the results going to be fed back to Hornby? How many people need to vote for Hornby to say yes let's do it? Could this poll be self defeating if only a few vote Hornby could say there is no interest let's not bother!

(Substitute Hornby for model maker of your choice)!

Mark

Hi,

I have already notified Hornby of this running thread and made the case in a lengthy email to their product development team.   I can do no more at this stage.   If they come back to me and say its 100% a NO GO for them then I will look to make similar suggestions to other manufacturers.  However its no good just one person contacting Hornby.   If their is indeed an appetite for this locomotive then other people have to do their bit and voice their desires to Hornby and failing that other producers of 00 gauge models.

Hey,

The problem with any type of poll
(which both Dave and I will face) is that it still doesn't judge the full demand for a product. There is no way to determine exactly how much the market needs. I never liked the annual poll because only a certain number of people can actually participate in it. If their are more senior members about that new comers then you'll tend to see more steam locos get more votes and stuff like that. The poll doesn't reach far and wide either. I've personally seen people of other forums for British models who were unaware of the poll on RMweb. We need to reach out to the younger audience who see these modern day locos on a frequent basis.

Whenever a manufacturer tells me there is no demand for AC electrics I never believe it. I refuse to believe that electric locos that do play a big role on Britain's railways don't have a certain fanfare behind them. If the HST is iconic, so is the IC225. It's just that no manufacturer has ever done a proper AC electric
(excluding Bachmann's Class 85, Hornby's Class 71 and Heljan botched up a nice loco). I'm sure if good quality OHE masts and easy-to-hang (ETH) wires are introduced with some excellent models then people will buy them. If people on the continent have all the accessories and locos they need I don't see why we cannot. No one has made an effort to introduce a highly detailed AC loco and easy to assemble OHE. Dapol does just one type. A more common variety is needed.

To further add to my post, companies like Hornby have a customer base in the US, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand
(I'm sure other companies and equally big customer base). There will be hundreds of collectors and thousands of people who buy a loco if it's good. Not everyone follow an era specific layout or anything on that line. The loco needs to be good and have accessories (if needed) to sell.

Bottom line is that AC locos will sell,
(if all modern dieseIs sell why not a modern electric?) am sure Bachmann will get a better response from the upcoming Class 90 than their Class 85. If Hornby do a Class 91 I am sure that the biggest sellers like the Inter-City and GNER variants will sell. Similarly in my case the Class 92 will surely sell especially the RFD and EPS liveries. 

Cheers!
Jeff.

More than anything, I'd just like stock to be available. Having an awful time trying to get hold of the Flying Scotsman set with 91101...

Have they not all sold out?

Seemed quite a popular release despite the basic tooling.

I also seem to recall some silly prices on that Internet Auction site for the seperately avaliable (additional) silver East Coast Mk4 coaches which were produced in limited numbers(?).

Despite the transluscent sides to the roof sections.

However Hornby have anounced another Class 91 + DVT + Mk4s for this year in the (now obsolete) grey East Coast Livery.

Incidentally will Brian McDermott be having the 2015 Wish List Poll soon?

With so many models announced since last years one we will have to see if this climbs through the ranks.

I don't disagree that other electrics are being produced but they don't need coaches and a DVT tooling too and I think that is what will get in your way.

It won't be a case of update the existing tooling it will be start a new tooling and with all the coaches it is going to be expensive.

If you look at Bachmann, only one electric loco at a time and the coaches or wagons for them to pull already exist in high quality mouldings.

I'm not saying give up but you are going to need Pendolino numbers of orders to get Hornby to even consider it, and then do they have the slots available to do the work.

I dont think the MK4 coaches need retooled.  They just need NEM couplings, I would be happy with that.

The Class 91 chassis was updated to accommodate DCC ready versions, proving it is possible to make changes to existing models without starting from a clean sheet of paper..  As for a new DVT, if they can do it for the MK3 to such a high level of detail then they can manage it for the MK4.

Only time will tell.  If not enough people want it then it wont happen, that's fair enough.  However to try and fail is better than doing nothing (or worse still, just moan about the current offerings without speaking out).

Hornby might fob me off with excuses but I will keep hoping!!

• Like 1

The Mk4 coaches just need a proper valance and NEM coupling. If the valance can be done just like the Pendolino coaches and with NEM pockets inside it will be more than enough. And some better glazing is also needed. The Class 91 and DVT can be re-tooled fully.

Jeff.

Definitely better (flush) glazing with the correct tint.

Also a correct interior unit for the catering vehicle depicting the kitchen/buffet area.

Though a hard choice will have to be made between one depicting the pre and post Mallard refurbishment configuration as major internal alterations were made to this vehicle.

I would have been prepared to pay for an extra coat of black (as a base coat to the silver sides) to the roof unit to the East Coast 'Flying Scotsman' coaches.

Thereby avoiding the transluscent sides.

Also the issue of the TOE.

Edited by jonathan452

I cannot see Hornby retooling this loco anytime soon or even at all to be honest as Hornby have a history of never fulfilling the models promised in all their catalogs year on year.

I think we are still waiting for models dating back ten years and have also slipped further and further behind the rest of the manufactures and i just cannot see them catching up.

Although you never know a new class 91 and a few others from the past may well kick start their redemption.

All i can say is...Hornby you need to listen to what your consumers are asking for otherwise there will never be a road back to the top.

• Like 2

Cannot vote in the poll because it doesn't allow me a valid answer in the final question.

I would like models at the quality level demonstrated by Bach's Blue Pullman, of both the 125 as first in BR ECML service, and the full 225 set liveried in the first GNER livery. I would expect to buy these as a full set in one go (none of the dicking around trying to find the correct trailer vehicles in the desired livery) with electrical connections such that the train can be run on a single decoder (225) or 2 decoders, one per motorised power car (125). Manufacturer = any.

I'm a WCML fan but i have a 91 from when they were first released (early 90's?), which i'd replace if a new version (Inter-city livery) was released. Top of my list of wants would be a motor of modern standards to allow it realistic pulling power and speed and so it doesn't get overtaken by a class 20 or 37 or 47.................etc as currently happens. Second would be working lights. A new DVT with working lights to go with it would be great.

If the manufacturers listened to me they'd release AC electrics in the following order ;)

87 - I'd buy shedloads

86 - I'd buy a few

APT - a couple

81 - a couple

91 - probably just the 1

The 85 was a good start, and hopefully the 90 will match!

Just need the other manufacturers to get on it and speed up the new models.

Good evening all,

I've recently been conversing with Dave Jones of DJ Models with regards to a crowd funded 'OO' class 91, Mk.4 stock and DVT. He has outlined that if a crowd funding project was set up, he would happily design, produce and supply us with a new-tool class 91, Mk.4 stock and DVT if the funding target is reached.

If there is sufficient interest in reply to this comment to commit to a DJ Models class 91 thread in Dave's section on this forum, then I will ask him if he will oblige and we shall see how it goes from there 

Cheers,

Excellent work 60800!

This is a promising lead.

I have had word back from Hornby on this topic, but just to say they consider all requests made to them.  However I have made them aware of this thread!

What sort of numbers would Dave Jones be looking for the funding target??

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

not much I can say really apart from the fact that if it was to be done purely in full sets (which I can assure you it won't!) we'd have to shift at least 1000 to clear the tooling and production costs + commission from kickstarter if that is the chosen crowd funding source.

This hasn't been discussed with Dave Jones yet, but I'd plan on using a strategy with different formations on offer + coach packs + special 'one off' liveries if the necessary rights can be obtained. The rights to produce certain liveries would of course push the price up of items. 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

I am largely happy with my 91, from my first train set, apart from the headlights (just sticky labels). It looks dreadful, not sure it's even fit for the railroad range, the class 43s in the sets with 7-window (short) mark 3 coaches seem to be better looking going by the pictures on Ebay. The plastic pantograph on my train set one leaves a little to be desired as well, and things like new motors and all-wheel pickups would be good. But apart from that I like the model (I'm generally happy with railroad level of detail*, I've no desire to pay extra for fine details that are liable to break off). Perhaps they should just retool the light peice, fit a better pantograph and modern motor and release it in the railroad range.

Was there not 2 versions of the GNER livery? One with Silver(?) and the other Gold lettering?

and similarly with the Mk4 coaches was there not the pre-refurbushed version with the normal livery on the doors and the refurbished version with orange/red doors

Hornby produced two versions of GNER livery, both with gold lettering (don't think they ever did the silver version). The one with orange/red doors is also a lighter shade of blue (on the model anyway) if the ones I've seen on display somewhere (I think NRM York) are anything to go by.

The 91 may not be sexy or a stunner to look at,

I disagree, a class 91 in Swallow livery is a stunner in my book (the real thing that is, Hornby's being badly let down by those headlight stickers), up there with the IC125 and some of my favoriate steam locos.

The the earlier, darker, version of GNER and East Coast's 91110 livery come pretty close to Swallow too.

I would be happy just to be able to buy new motors for the two original Class 91s I have.

Same for my original 91, plus a new, retooled, headlight strips for the 91 (front and rear) and DVT. The naff current one for the DVT is available as spares (L6845), anyone know what the corrosponding part numbers are for the 91 headlight strips?

Would be very temped to buy a model of East Coast's 91110 if released at a reasonable price with decent headlight strips.

* Since writing the above, I have noticed photos of Railroad models and realised they aren't quite what I thought (I don't actually have any 'Railroad' branded models, but have some older stock (eg. Flying Scotsman train set) which I assumed were the same (possibly aside from invisible changes like motors and DCC readiness) as the more-recent Railroad releases). For example I've noticed that, unlike the train-set one I have, the lettering and loco number '4472' on the Railroad model doesn't have the shadow (3D-effect). I don't like the look of that.

Edited by Rhydgaled

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is an obvious problem with this poll. I am not interested in a class 91. There is a question that allows me to state this, but ONLY if I make a lot of choices about a model I've said I don't want! At the moment 13% of the answers are from people who have said they have no interest in this model. This mean that an 1/8 of the data collected about all the very detailed wishes for a new model is by definition invalid.  It ought to be question 1 and the other question ought only to be visible if you vote FOR a model.

Edited by Vistiaen