Poll for a re-tooled Hornby Class 92 and/or a new Hornby/Arnold Class 92

Multiple identity account

Would you like Hornby to re-tool their Class 92  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Hornby to drop their older Class 92 and re-tool one? Or would you like Hornby-Arnold to develop a brand new Class 92?

• Yes, I would.
    • I am happy with the current offering. (OO scale only)
  2. 2. What features would you like to see?

• 8-pin DCC Ready (OO gauge) or 6-pin DCC ready (N gauge)
    • Centrally mounted motor with twin fly-wheels
    • Highly detailed body with etched grills, Channel Tunnel logos and nameplates
    • Sprung-loaded plastic pantographs
    • Cab detail (OO scale only)
    • Independent working head and tail lights
    • Cab lighting (OO scale only)
    • Plastic or metal sprung buffers (OO scale only)
  3. 3. What liveries would you like to see?

4. 4. N scale (1:148) or OO scale (1:76)

I voted for yes, for a re-tooled 92. Only because it is long awaited, and it deserves more interest than other classes of locomotive. Not hating steam, and never will hate steam, but the last a decent and well made AC locomotive was the Bachmann Class 85. Who knows when the Bachmann Class 90 will get released by. Just like to see another AC electric of any class represtened in a deserved face-lift, with Head/Tail lights etc etc. 

Mostly a 92 in Railfreight Distirbution Grey livery. 

• 3 months later...

I voted yes, I dont think it would be a major problem for Hornby if you look at whats already in there range. They could start by modifying the class 60 chassis and cab interiors, then use the (in my opinion) better detailed ex Lima shell with lighting added, and possible opening doors same as class 60. They could then use the much better pantograph from either the ex Lima model or the eurostar model. The bogie sideframes could be redesigned from the old Hornby model.

I voted yes, I dont think it would be a major problem for Hornby if you look at whats already in there range. They could start by modifying the class 60 chassis and cab interiors, then use the (in my opinion) better detailed ex Lima shell with lighting added, and possible opening doors same as class 60. They could then use the much better pantograph from either the ex Lima model or the eurostar model. The bogie sideframes could be redesigned from the old Hornby model.

Even the pantograph from the Pendolino is very good.... The Class 60 is a lovely base. The underframe has different equipment, slightly different bogies and the pantographs are already available. A major chunk of the 3D CAD is done. It's actually modifications to do.

I meant use the class 60 chassis as the basis with different underframe fittings and bogie sideframes, but it would in my opinion make a good basis and reduce the costs of creating a new casting thus fitting Hornby's "design clever" program, the same with reusing the much better modern pantograph from one of the other modern models and using the class 60 cab interior and lighting unit.

Going by Hornby's form, I think it much more likely that it would be retooled from scratch if it's done at all.

• RMweb Premium

I meant use the class 60 chassis as the basis with different underframe fittings and bogie sideframes, but it would in my opinion make a good basis and reduce the costs of creating a new casting thus fitting Hornby's "design clever" program, the same with reusing the much better modern pantograph from one of the other modern models and using the class 60 cab interior and lighting unit.

Design Clever disappeared before Simon Kohler left Hornby so I don't see them bringing it back given the very poor reaction it got.

Going by Hornby's form, I think it much more likely that it would be retooled from scratch if it's done at all.

If it is re-tooled I think it has to be done from scratch. That is probably the meaning of re-tool and it's something we all would probably like, not some shabby work. However the CAD's from the Class 60 can actually be a great starting point. Basically the innards of the model.

I would love a modern version of the 92 they are impressive loco's and in recent years have had a bit of a turn around in usage with many new operators.

But I think the answer to this will not come until they see how the Bachmann class 90 sells, the only class 85 to sell out was the 60s electric blue and a second version is due. Hornby's recent models have all been historic modern image such as 2BIL/HAL and class 71 which have again mainly sold in the 60s livery options. If the class 90 shows demand enough from modellers I think we will see the class 86/87/91 and 92 tackled by someone.

Modern Diesels just don't seem to have been as big sellers for Hornby, the recent class 67 in Royal Maroon had to be off loaded to shops as a special and the Arriva blue 67 was also reduced and these were the first time these liveries had been produced.

Hornby missed the boat with the diesels as instead of uprading the old and dated 37 and 47 when they got the ex Lima range they stuck to there original models and are only now using the much nicer ex Lima models for the Railroad range.

I would love a modern version of the 92 they are impressive loco's and in recent years have had a bit of a turn around in usage with many new operators.

But I think the answer to this will not come until they see how the Bachmann class 90 sells, the only class 85 to sell out was the 60s electric blue and a second version is due. Hornby's recent models have all been historic modern image such as 2BIL/HAL and class 71 which have again mainly sold in the 60s livery options. If the class 90 shows demand enough from modellers I think we will see the class 86/87/91 and 92 tackled by someone.

Modern Diesels just don't seem to have been as big sellers for Hornby, the recent class 67 in Royal Maroon had to be off loaded to shops as a special and the Arriva blue 67 was also reduced and these were the first time these liveries had been produced.

'Modern Diesels' is almost as ambiguous a term as 'Modern Image' which generally seems to mean anything post-steam i.e. covering a time period of nearly 50 years. I think if that large era was broken down into subsections, it would reveal telling differences where the peaks of interest are in the market. With prices going north, I suspect there will be less impulse buys and buyers will be more selective in what they do purchase. In that case its probably the keener modellers, who may be looking more towards historical accuracy so I'd have to question whether you could tar Corporate Blue, Sectorisation, Privatisation and Current Day era models with the same brush of 'Modern Diesels' not selling.

I found loco-hauled passenger operations far more interesting than the current-day multiple units, so I rarely buy anything modelled on prototypes within the last 20 years! Hornby haven't produced many hi-spec loco models that fit into that time period for quite a while.

1. 8-pin DCC Ready (OO gauge) or 6-pin DCC ready (N gauge)
  2. Independent working head and tail lights
  3. Cab lighting (00 scale only)  
  4. Sprung-loaded plastic pantographs

I think this poll is flawed in a couple of areas .

8-pin sockets do not support more than 3 functions and the wish list is exceeding that capability.

In addition, mainstream decoders (not the cheapo's) these days generally support 4, 5 or 6 functions outputs, so are not the best suited to use with an 8-pin socket.

There's a similar problem with N gauge 6-pin decoders, if extra functions are required, hence the introduction of Next18 and smaller PluX sizes, for N gauge.

The only place for 8-pin now, is on locos with limited function requirements, such as UK steam.

It is now only supposed to be a "legacy" connector, with the expectation that new model designs should incorporate the newer standards.

A 21-pin would be a better solution, but that too is supposed to be defunct for all-new model designs. Unfortunately some manufacturers, particularly those supplying the British outline market, are dragging their feet on the issue.

As for the pantographs, why plump for low quality, low fidelity plastic, when continental manufacturers have consistently shown that higher quality and better detailed metal pantos look much better?

Let's face it, at the prices we might expect to be asked to pay for a highly detailed, modern Class 92, we are not talking about a kiddies toy; so any questions about robustness take place at a different level.

The pantos could even be raised or lowered by a DCC function, as on some Roco and ESU models, although that would add to the expense and may not be wanted by all.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see one but one thing in your poll that is missing is a metal sprung pantograph as opposed to a plastic one. I would like my pantographs to skim the wires like the real thing.

I wish the sparking could be replicated in a more realistic fashion too.... Current day kits to replicate pantograph-OHE sparking don't look realistic with chunky wires traversing the entire pantograph (from what I've seen)

Personally I'd like a mixture of both plastic and metal pantograph.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have taken part in the poll because I would like to see a premium Class 92 model to come out because having own four of them. The current model is underpowered when it comes to hauling a long realistic train. I am in favour of a brand new tooled model to match the standards of the Hornby Class 50, Class 56 and Class 60 amongst other premium models that Hornby do. i would like a Caledonian Liveried version although I would buy all the liveries eventually one by one as the Class 92 is my favourite electric locomotive and its been a while since Hornby have done a premium modern era locomotive since the Class 67 came out in 2012.

I am currently overhauling the hauling power of my current Class 92's and I would like to see a heavy duty chassis on the new model with all wheel drive as that would make the model more able to haul a heavier and a longer freight train without struggling under the weight of its train.

Here is the video of my mod :).

Kind Regards

Ash.

Archived