LNER J71, J24, D20 and others - North Eastern Kits

The inside of the cab has been primed, after masking off all other areas. This is done before the backhead is fitted to avoid any overspraying of the backhead and its details.

The cab floor has also now been cut, scribed and stuck to the footplate. Just a piece of paper 14 mm x 20 mm with the planks scribed  at 2 mm centres i.e. 6" wide planks. When painted with natural wood and then weathered with a bit of dirty black, then the floor should look about right. The backhead has been primed, painted with weathered black and then the backhead details added.

Once the floor is set and painted, the backhead can be fixed into place; needs a pressure gauge on top of the backhead though.

Perhaps a bit reckless, these photographs, as this is roughly two and a half times full size - or around 10 mm to the foot - and so shows up all of the inaccuracies in the work. At this level of magnification and with the camera very close, using the macro mode, then parallax is apparent - the cab sides appear to diverge slightly - but it is a good check on what needs to be cleaned up (the cab front window apertures for instance) and whether everything is square (the footplate steps, etc.). These photos also illustrate why I fit the handrail stanchions to the cab sides during assembly of the cab, rather than when the loco superstructure is complete; there is a lot to fit inside the cab sides which the stanchions could impede.

Those tiny, rivetted fillets which sit on top of each step, have not been soldered to the step upstands but superglued on, using a sharp cocktail stick to apply a tiny amount of glue. I've tried soldering them but it's easy to obscure the rivet detail if solder gets onto the outside; and very difficult to clean it off.

Anyway the thing seems to 'pass muster' so now for the chassis!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-53126400-1435076720_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-27235400-1435146348_thumb.jpg

The mainframes have now been assembled, with compensation beams and High Level hornguides and axleboxes on the centre and rear pairs of driving wheels. I did wonder about using the centre and front pairs of driving wheels but the compensating beams would have been too conspicuous, especially with that amount of daylight under the boiler. I'm still pondering whether to build some semblance of the inside motion to fill the void between the frames, which is quite visible.

I don't like putting the wheels on their axles to take them off again but needed to do this just to establish whether the loco's ride height was correct relative to the tender. Anyway, everything seems to line up, or at least it should once assembly is complete.

There's a bit of daylight between the tender flare and the coal rail but that should disappear when the grey primer is applied to the tender; covers a mulitude of sins does Halfords grey primer!!!

Nearly there, though Paul (Worsdell Forever) has beaten me to it by a long way.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-73272100-1435321372_thumb.jpg

I have an awful lot of lining to do though...

Well, Paul, that's the downside of modelling the halcyon days of the railways - fully lined and clean!!

Mind you once mine is painted in weathered black, then I have an awful lot of decrepitude (so easy to mistype that one), rust, grime and general neglect to add to it. Something like the photo below; another relic - Arthur's kit for the LNER Q5/2 - withdrawn in 1949 and portrayed during its final few weeks. But there never was an ugly steam locomotive, just some more aesthetically pleasing than others!!

Paul, have you enjoyed building this one; I certainly have? And I've very much enjoyed reading and watching your thread.

But Paul, if you do build an A6, I won't mirror that one; I've built four of them and that's it for A6's!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-53429000-1435334483_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure that I'd call that 0-8-0 anything less than purposeful, Mike, but its NER origins help, of course, and I rather like the most of the big pre-Grouping freight machines, though perhaps not the rather brutish L&Y 0-8-0s, which are a a taste I haven't managed to acquire.

Unfortunately, as a modeller of the southern and western regions, I can't find a ready excuse for one of Arthur's kits, but I do enjoy watching your builds of them. Keep up the good work.

Adam

I'm not sure that I'd call that 0-8-0 anything less than purposeful, Mike, but its NER origins help, of course, and I rather like the most of the big pre-Grouping freight machines, though perhaps not the rather brutish L&Y 0-8-0s, which are a a taste I haven't managed to acquire.

Unfortunately, as a modeller of the southern and western regions, I can't find a ready excuse for one of Arthur's kits, but I do enjoy watching your builds of them. Keep up the good work.

Adam

Adam,

I'd go with 'purposeful'; the Q5/2's would certainly never win any contests for elegance or beauty of design.

Thanks for the kind words on the builds; they're much appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Often, with these test builds, the loco is built before all of the associated castings are finalised and available. This has been true of the D20, where the chassis was test built a few months before the first test etches for the body were available. Then the loco body was test built before many of the castings were done. As a result, these test builds often languish in their naked brass state, partially completed, for some time.

The castings for the D20 are now all available and so I can now push on to complete this model. The boiler handrail has been formed and is inserted into the stanchions, though not yet fixed, to check that it looks correct. If anyone knows of a surefire and easy way of forming these one piece boiler handrails, then I'd love to know. This one was slowly formed and then cut to final length in very small increments.

This is still paired with a B15 tender, with the tender breathers; once the loco is complete then I will build another 3940 gallon tender for the D20.

I know that Arthur is working very hard to release this kit and he can advise as to the likely timescale for its release.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-60981700-1435751155_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-88331300-1435752159_thumb.jpg

My great friend John Drake who loved anything NER / LNER / BR ( North East ) who sadly passed away last year would have loved this thread

Then here's a photo, dedicated to John Drake, who I never knew but with whom I share a love of things NER/LNER/BR (North East). Just the view from a bridge, that I remember so well as a youthful train spotter.

Regards

MIke

post-3150-0-41506300-1435753516_thumb.jpg

All of the handrails are now on and fixed. The smokebox front handrail stanchion actually passes through the front top lamp iron. So the hole in this lamp iron was opened out, with a broach, as much as could be done and then a Gibson short handrail knob was turned down below the shoulder. This was done by holding the handrail stanchion with the knob held tight in the pin chuck and just gently filing around. Once the handrail stanchion passed through the lamp iron hole, then the whole thing was assembled under a magnifying glass, slotted onto the handrail and fixed in place once the handrail had been threaded through the boiler handrail stanchions.

The two holes, visible on the smokebox, will accommodate the vacuum pipe (upper) and the Westinghouse brake pipe (lower).

A bit fiddly this, so as the sun is over the yardarm (somewhere) time for a glass of the old Shiraz.

These locos were first built in 1899, when ten were produced, with further batches of ten each in 1900 and 1901. Thirty more were produced in 1906 - 7. So the design definitely qualifies as Victorian and for me, these were some of the most elegant 4-4-0's ever produced; many lasting well over fifty years.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-51314600-1435760933_thumb.jpg

Then here's a photo, dedicated to John Drake, who I never knew but with whom I share a love of things NER/LNER/BR (North East). Just the view from a bridge, that I remember so well as a youthful train spotter.

Regards

MIke

Many thanks for that Mike.

John was a founder member of the Ebor Group Of Railway Modellers in York. He modelled in EM Gauge, his main interest was Selby which was where he lived.

Hence he had a lot of locomotives that were Selby engines many of which belonged to classes that were also allocated to Hull sheds.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Graham

Many thanks for that Mike.

John was a founder member of the Ebor Group Of Railway Modellers in York. He modelled in EM Gauge, his main interest was Selby which was where he lived.

Hence he had a lot of locomotives that were Selby engines many of which belonged to classes that were also allocated to Hull sheds.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Graham

In mid 1950, the timeframe for Hessle Haven, Selby shed had thirteen D20's allocated. I believe they worked the local trains to Hull and Leeds but really came into their own during the summer months when they were often used as pilot engines on the heavy excursion trains, which ran through Selby, to Bridlington and Scarborough and which ran via Market Weighton and Driffield.

I have a photo of one of these Selby locomotives - 62378 - leaving Hessle on a stopping train to Hull. The photo, which I can't reproduce here, must be 1951 or later as the train is composed of BR Mk 1 coaches.

Anyway this one will be 62378, of Selby.

I also came across this photo which I took of the various 0-6-0's and an A6 built from test etches or, in the case of the J73, from the production kit.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-95823100-1435819137_thumb.jpg

So now I have to await the final castings - Westinghouse pump, mechanical lubricator, cab fittings, etc. while I build the tender for this D20. The tender is identical to the one shown except for the tender tank breathers.

So score one more for the tender locomotives on Hessle Haven (well almost), though the tank locos still outnumber them by two to one!

It's been a long time in the building, this one and it isn't finished yet, but well worth it; and I think it captures the look of the D20.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-31807100-1435855902_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-09979100-1436003304_thumb.jpg

Archived