Swansea East Dock

steve fay

Steve

You are probably already aware of it (it was mentioned in a post on the Minerva Peckett thread), but Steam Days published a superb article called "Memories on Swansea Docks Area and its engine sheds" in its September 2013 edition.

15 pages, 26 photos and 2 maps! If you haven't already got it, may be worth seeing if you can get a back number from Steam Days.

Stephen

Thanks I've just tracked down a copy

Steve

Another book with a number of photos which may not have been published elsewhere is "The Red Dragon and other friends" by LDR Publications. ISBN 978-0-9553941-0-2. It has a section with photos of the dock lines. There is one on Amazon at the moment for £29 as it is now out of print..

In latter days, quite a few 'foreigners' (and ex-GWR mainline types) were stored at East Dock before being despatched to the scrapyards around Morriston.

I'll be interested to see how this progresses, as I used to spend a lot of time around the area during school holidays in the mid-1960s, when dad's firm was converting King's Dock and Elba works into warehousing for SCoW- this used to involve passing Danygraig, where the dock locos were officially based.

post-5983-0-69701000-1426446367_thumb.jpg

I've just ordered the first loco kit for 87D, A Webb coal tank from Gladiator kits. Lucky too as this was the last one he had in stock. I've wanted this loco for a while as my grandad used to have these locos on the Llanfihangel Banker. They wasn't the best loco and couldn't keep up with the train most of the time which earned them some not so flattering Nick names.

58926 was withdrawn from Pontypool Road where she spent her last few months prior to that she was an Abergavenny engine and this is how my loco will portray.

Now it's debatable whether these locos ever made it to Swansea East dock as the midland locos would have used Paxton street shed. Midland locos did use East dock but after the coal tanks withdrawal. She could quite easily have worked a goods in to the docks and come on for some water! That's a lot more plausible than appearing on Ranelagh Bridge.

When not in London, I exercise first thing in the morning on my cross-trainer to the accompaniment of of a railway DVD. This morning I watched B&R Volume 94 "Steam North of Swansea". It opens with some good shots of Swansea Victoria Station and East Dock Shed in 1964 when most of the motive pannier was 57Xx or 8750 pannier tank locos. Sadly, no ex-SHT Pecketts and other breeds. There is also excellent coverage of the line from Swansea Victoria to Craven Arms and back, including the sand-covered section along Swansea Bay and the Mumbles tramway.

I have just bought a copy of B&R Video Vol 160 "Steam in Wales & The Borders Part 3". The description includes this tantalising statement: "Swansea is shown in the early 1960s including a visit to Swansea East Dock for pre-grouping 0-4-0 tank engines." Can't wait to get home to watch it.

Archived