Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hitachi and Abellio sign contract for 70 trains

Whilst I am all for new rolling stock I don't understand why the 314s have to be disposed of and not made available to other TOCs.

As a regular passenger on the 314s, I have to say that they are totally unsuitable for the 21st century; Low-backed seats, no toilet, and every door open at every station whether needed or not (which is great in winter when a set sits for any length of time, eg the off-peak 25 min turnround at Neilston). These sets have served the railway for a long time but there's only one place for them now, the great carriage siding in the sky !

Whilst I am all for new rolling stock I don't understand why the 314s have to be disposed of and not made available to other TOCs.

If they were still suitable ScotRail would have retained them

The units are ideal for their current use; up to 50 minutes, no toilet, high density commuter

However, they are now becoming unreliable, even with the latest overhaul

It had been hoped to update the door electrics at that overhaul, but the cost was excessive

The new franchise has a requirement of auto door close, to be installed on all units by 2018, and the Class 314 would fail this

Units with isolated traction motors are often pressed into service, you can easily identify these as the driver end is silent and loses time to/from Neilston

Sadly reliability is everything now, just look where we were with the Class 303 when they had passed the end of their expected life span

It's seemed odd that the Scotrail contract said they have to be disposed of, surely that is for the ROSCO to decide not Scotrail?

The authority decides the rollng stock (DfT or TS)

The RoSCo utilises the availabe rolling stock

The only exception is First Great Western which owns some of its rolling stock outright

If they could get them off lease early enough, it would be interesting to rip all the EMU bit of them, fit a cummins 6 cylinder 8 litre euro5 engine (available off the shelf as fitted to busses now) and the ZF/voith box conversion as fitted to a SWT 159 already. These would make a excellent stop gap DMU for the short time they would be needed, and I have always been curious as to why a DMU version of the PEP design was never done.

If there was some spare PEP design coaches off lease somewhere, from either the 508 or such, they could be used as a design/test rebuild as to how practical this would be. The PEP under frame would be strong enough, and the rest such as doors would be done at a heavy overhaul that would be required at the same time. The only thing that would be difficult would be fitting the drive from the box to the bogies. If you was being really tight with the cash, and doing a cheap as possible DMU, you could reuse the engine and gearbox off a 142 withdrawn at the same time, as IIRC they have been fitted with the voith box and newer engines over the years anyway.

The authority decides the rollng stock (DfT or TS)The RoSCo utilises the availabe rolling stockThe only exception is First Great Western which owns some of its rolling stock outright

This is not the case. The owning RoSCo will decide what it does next with the fleet. The Authority doesn't decide the rolling stock although certain stipulations will have been made that could preclude cost effective modifications to reach compliance.

In this case the various franchise bidders will have opted to include or exclude any given fleet. So the 314s have reached the end of their service in Scotland.

Other operators do own stock outright. Arriva to give a prime example.

You'd probably fit a generator and drive the existing traction motors as with the converted D78.  That would avoid the problem of mechanical linkage and mean the engine could be anywhere, even on the un-motored car.

Great idea but even more highly inefficient (and probably fail current emissions requirements)

Option A, diesel conversion using existing traction motors :

Removing the transformer and replacing with one high power engines

No loss of seating, pantograph core used for diesel exhaust

Option B, diesel conversion using mechanical propulsion :

Removing transformer, traction motors, bogie conversions, and install three low power engines

No loss of seating, driving cars require exhaust manifolds

Great in theory but the cost is probably so prohibitive compared to a full overhaul rather than conversion

You could overhaul the Class 314 units as they are, but the existing issues would eventually return within 5 years

Thanks for all the interesting comments and suggestions regarding the Class 314s. All I can say as a regular user of them is that I will be glad to see them go; Personally I would have preferred the 303s to remain, which IMHO were better in every way (except ride quality, due to the 314's air suspension) than the 314s. Mind you, how reliable the 303s would be if they were still in service today is another matter ! I do believe that just as the comfort of cars has continually improved, so must the standard of rail passenger vehicles, and what was regarded as acceptable in 1980 is not in 2015. Good quality seating, toilets, and I would suggest even Wi-Fi, should be standard on all new trains.

Good quality seating, toilets, and I would suggest even Wi-Fi, should be standard on all new trains.

WiFi is being mandated for all future franchises.  Toilets aren't essential for Metro-type journey patterns (enter bus/ tram equivalents here).  Seating inevitably demands a range of alternatives, good quality I would agree is essential.

Archived