The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Terry Pratchett passes on

beast66606

• RMweb Premium

I gather that Rihanna may have been significantly involved in 'Raising Steam', so that novel might be an indicator of how she might approach the Discworld. However, I'm also a bit cold to children taking over their parent's universes, vis a vis Todd McCaffrey and 'Pern', and Brian Herbert (son of Frank Herbert) and 'Dune'.

I gather that Rihanna may have been significantly involved in 'Raising Steam', so that novel might be an indicator of how she might approach the Discworld...

Again and again in 'Raising Steam' there were opportunities missed I felt. It's hard to put your finger on, but between overmuch explanation rather than subtle implication, jokes that were laboured rather than deftly turned, and characters deviating from long established form, it isn't the full-on thing. For me at least.

Again and again in 'Raising Steam' there were opportunities missed I felt. It's hard to put your finger on, but between overmuch explanation rather than subtle implication, jokes that were laboured rather than deftly turned, and characters deviating from long established form, it isn't the full-on thing. For me at least.

But written by a man who was ill - not too shabby!

I certainly found Raising Steam very different from previous Discworld novels. Not necessarily worse, just different. I think some of that may have been due to the approach needed in order to cover the subject matter rather than as a result of any joint authorship. To what extent each had its effect is difficult to say until or unless further works appear.

And to add to the general consensus, the Discworld, its creator and its inhabitants have been my entertaining companions for almost thirty years. I shall miss them. 

I certainly found Raising Steam very different from previous Discworld novels. Not necessarily worse, just different. I think some of that may have been due to the approach needed in order to cover the subject matter rather than as a result of any joint authorship. To what extent each had its effect is difficult to say until or unless further works appear.

And to add to the general consensus, the Discworld, its creator and its inhabitants have been my entertaining companions for almost thirty years. I shall miss them.

A major percentage of my iPod, constant companion on sleepless nights. Each time you listen pick up an other little barb or parallel to life or the real world as he saw it

Archived