Small industrial layout

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I am new to RMweb, so a big hello to you all. This is my first attempt at a micro layout. The layout will be a self contained industrial shunting layout. The baseboard measures 3' by 1' all track is 00 code 100. I plan to use Scalescenes buildings. Hope you all like.? will try and post regular updates.

post-25708-0-41353900-1426531074_thumb.jpgpost-25708-0-36350800-1426531103_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Must be about the minimum length for a Tymesaver based plan. Can you get a loco and one wagon on the middle headshunt at the warehouse end?

Hi Charlie,

Only just, nothing bigger than a class 03 and 1 wagon. It does make for some interesting shunting.

Hi and Welcome to RMWeb

It's a great start you have and the building size will give a little layout a big presence looks impressive already.

Which track is your intended arrival Road ??

Are you going to have a cassette (fiddle yard) off stage from this arrival road so you can introduce new wagons "Empties in Loads" out type arrangement ??

Or are you using the current building as a hidden track for arrivals ??

Best of luck with your Little project its a great start.

• RMweb Gold

Looks nice and interesting. The Scalescenes buildings allways come out well.

Are you going for inlaid track or just regular ballasted ?

Owen

Hi Owen,

Going to use air drying clay for the ballast. Have seen this used on other layouts and thought it looked quite affective. Need to do a test first just to see.

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

Hi and Welcome to RMWeb

It's a great start you have and the building size will give a little layout a big presence looks impressive already.

Which track is your intended arrival Road ??

Are you going to have a cassette (fiddle yard) off stage from this arrival road so you can introduce new wagons "Empties in Loads" out type arrangement ??

Or are you using the current building as a hidden track for arrivals ??

Best of luck with your Little project its a great start.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments. The intended arrival road is the track on the right closest to you. Not decided yet on what sort of fiddle yard to have.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Have done a little more to the layout, peco points installed and track wired up. Layout will be dcc. Have painted base board and made a start on building backboards.

post-25708-0-15894100-1426610504_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Have also finished second building. It's the new low relief factory building from Scalescenes. Have made the building half relief. Fits nicely in the right hand corner.

.post-25708-0-43926500-1426704473_thumb.jpg

post-25708-0-10343200-1426704508_thumb.jpg

That's a very effective sky you've produced. any chance you can give some tips on how you did it?

Phil

PS - Welcome to RMWeb, by the way! :-)

• RMweb Gold

That's a very effective sky you've produced. any chance you can give some tips on how you did it?

Phil

PS - Welcome to RMWeb, by the way! :-)

Hi Phil, thanks for the comment. I used two different shades of blue and white paint, I started with the lightest blue then the darker blended in. Then the white added to create clouds. Also because the undercoat was black it dulls the blues down slightly. Hope that helps it's not the easiest process to put into words.

Regards.

Really enjoying following the updates on this, lovely little layout and shows what a space saver those small radius points are. How do you find that small-wheelbase locos, such as that Drewry shunter, are in operating over the insulfrog points? Do you have any problems with continuity and stalling for example?

Those buildings are superb! Fantastic use of scalescenes, it really looks the part and is so effective.

David

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoying following the updates on this, lovely little layout and shows what a space saver those small radius points are. How do you find that small-wheelbase locos, such as that Drewry shunter, are in operating over the insulfrog points? Do you have any problems with continuity and stalling for example?

Those buildings are superb! Fantastic use of scalescenes, it really looks the part and is so effective.

David

Thanks David. i am a little bit addicted to building Scalescenes building. I find them a joy to build. In regards to the running of small wheelbase locals, I have wired every peice of track and as long as the wheels and track are clean they run fine.

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Have made a start on ballesting the track, I am using air drying clay, this is the first time I have used this but I am quite happy with the results so far. I first applied the clay then left it to dry for 24 hours I then painted the clay and sleepers using rail match sleeper grime, the rail sides were painted with rail match dark rust. i then weathered using powders. Static grass was then added using a puffer bottle.

post-25708-0-55719200-1427148045_thumb.jpgpost-25708-0-43771600-1427148132_thumb.jpgpost-25708-0-46552900-1427148189_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips about painting the sky - it looks very convincing.

I like this layout a lot - I love small industrial locos and have 4 which I could use on a layout like this, so I may do something very similar myself, except I would have to build the track as I model in EM. Makes it easier for running as I won't have insulfrogs to worry about!

Phil

Rapid progress there! Shows the advantage of a small layout. It is looking really good though - as I mentioned the buildings are really impressive but a bit of colour through the backscene and greenery really brings the whole scene to life.

David

• RMweb Premium

Have made a start on ballesting the track, I am using air drying clay, this is the first time I have used this but I am quite happy with the results so far. I first applied the clay then left it to dry for 24 hours I then painted the clay and sleepers using rail match sleeper grime, the rail sides were painted with rail match dark rust. i then weathered using powders. Static grass was then added using a puffer bottle.

The ballast looks good. Did you lay the clay straight on top of the black paint on the baseboard or did you put a layer of PVA or similar as a primer? I'm very tempted to try this for my new layout.

- Richard.

Archived