Here I go again (perhaps)

Stevelewis

I built my  first  garden  raiway in 1976!  Since  then  over  the  years  i always  had  a  garden  Railway,  But  3  years  ago almost  I dismantled  and  sold  up!  We had  moved 3 years  previously  and  the  current  garden  was  OK  but  not  ideal  due  to  an  awkward  slope. And  it  always  seemed to be  raining!

Anyway  once  you  have  the  Garden Railway  bug  every other  scale/Guage  always  ( in  my opinion) seems to  lack  something  so  today  i have  asked  a  garden  conractor  to come  and  have  a  look at  the  Garden  and  give me  a  price  for  levelling! This  would  also  include  some  nescessary wall building

If  the  price is  right  I may  be  tempted  to  start all over  again-----we  shall see

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am tempted to convert my G gauge to DCC now that I use Wi Throttle etc.

The garden railway hasnt run for a few years although last year I had it all cleaned ready to go then the Aristocraft controller failed.

Shortly after our garden wall was demolished as part of the new development next door, so the track on that side was covered in ply for protection.

How do those decoders compare agianst other large scale ones?

• RMweb Gold

You can cross wire the pins and use one bigger decoder too ;) Did that with an ESU loksound with my Meyer which is now doing service with another of the GSC members.

Your old Heidi still doing excellent service with my collection and I bought Rhätia as a stablemate.

Maybe build a pergola with a clear roof so you can continue playing even if it does rain ;) A friend of mine did it with his O gauge over the station area so you could park the trains up quickly if it rained. It was a wood frame with a sheet of clear roofing plastic inserted between the timbers to form a roof then trained climbers around it and it ended up as a nice spot to sit under too as it offered some shade as well. I think his wife said it was better sitting with her back to the trains and looking at the garden ;)

• RMweb Gold

How do those decoders compare agianst other large scale ones?

They are the ones used by lgb until taken over by Marklin. Very good reliability and power buffers available as an add on but I find their sound versions less flexible than ESU and Zimo. The sound files are relatively simple and don't vary with load just by speed.

If you're used to other makes that you like then I'd stick with their higher output ones.

GSC  I have  been  a  long  time  member ( since day  1)  BUT  I  cannot  get into it  these  days!  My email is  recognised  but when  I request a password  reminder  I receive  an auto which  wont  open!  so if  any one  can  send  a  mwssage  i would appreciate it  

my email stevelewis deleted as  info  sent!

• RMweb Gold

Have contacted Paul Spann with a copy of your post, Steve :)

Probably worth cutting out your full email Steve as it can get picked up by spambots. Paul is away until 6th April so I've forwarded the email with his contact details to you.

Re  the  decoders  I  used  many  massoth  &  LGB  decoders  on  my  previous  garden Lines  ( I used  \massoth  digital system   also  which  was  brilliant it  set  me  back over £1K  around 15years  ago  so todays  prices are pretty steep\)

I have  only ever  had  1 decoder problem!  That  was  this  week  with  a newly  purchased  MTSIII decoder  which was  faulty, but the  fault was apparent  immediately  it  had  a loose component on the  board,  so its  gone  back to the  retailer.

• RMweb Gold

You can do it a lot cheaper than the dimax system from Massoth. I've got 8 amps using a Uhlenbrock booster on my Z21 so it should work well with Lenz etc too. The Power 8 is the latest model booster and you can have a complete system under £600 still, mine worked out just over £500 and by switching out the booster I use it on the OO and Om too.

• 1 month later...

Have contacted Paul Spann with a copy of your post, Steve :)

Probably worth cutting out your full email Steve as it can get picked up by spambots. Paul is away until 6th April so I've forwarded the email with his contact details to you.

Thanks  Paul  apologies  for  late  update  I got messages  from GSC  and  I am  now  back  on  the  forum  But  i  must  say  it  is  rather  quiet  compared  with  the  'Old  Days'  perhaps  a  sign  of  the   ( financial) times?

I also  note   the  dealers  who are  still trading  seem  to  have   smaller  ranges  of  NEW  stock (   and less actual stock)  but  the  2nd  hand  listings appear to be   greater  than a few  years  ago.

Nice  phots  Neil!

A few  items  seem to be  arriving  here!!

Including a rather uniquiely liveried  Saxon Meyer!

As I write  the  back  garden  is  being  ----- err modified!!!

I quite  like  the  Meyers,, actually  that  one   the  grey one  is  currently  on  the  disposal line,  as  I  dont  actually  need  2  of   them,  and   a Mallet ( courtesy of Tim  at Arcadia) arrived   last  week!!

Do you have a wider shot or trackplan Steve?

Errrr no!!   the  track  actually  ends  at  the  moment  about 3 yards  to the  left  of  the  girder bridge!!!

It all very much in the planning  stage at the moment,  The section in the  photo is just  a link from garden to the  garage. The 'hole' in the  garage   end  wall  is  about 3' to the  right of  the long van in  pic  below!

I have  spent (wasted!!) quite a bit of time  seeing  how  much the locos would  actually haul up the incline  without  slipping!  ( As usual the Mallet  could not  be  stalled!)

post-10539-0-01399700-1430759341.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Progress  continues  but  slowly....just  testing  a  loop  for  length  etc,  the  track  in pics, is  not  yet  ballasted.

Some  readers  may  recognise an article  which  appears frequently  in  G  scale  topics  a much loved  & often  very nescessary  implement!!

post-10539-0-04444300-1434635417.jpg

post-10539-0-59959600-1434635427.jpg

post-10539-0-67201200-1434635435.jpg

post-10539-0-62739500-1434635448.jpg

Archived