Bachmann 2-EPB's, can they be used for anything else?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I have several Bachmann 2-EPB's and I was wondering if they can be converted into anything else?  A pair and two spare bodies were converted into a 4-EPB by Mike Wild from Hornby Magazine but can they be used for HAP's or SAP's?

Julian Sprott

HAP is certainly an option (SAPs are essentially the same). I've thought about doing it myself but keep hoping that Bachmann will announce it.  In terms of bodyside modifications, all that needs doing is filling in an entire seating bay (2 windows and 1 door) and then drilling through a large toilet window.  A modification to the roof would also be required in terms of roof strips.

The Kernow thumper trailer coach is what it needs to look like!

• RMweb Gold

Have to see if I can get one of Kernow's thumper's and see if it's a easy modification.  Were HAP's used on the Staines line in the 70's?

Julian Sprott

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It does seem strange that Bachmann/Kernow have not made the obvious move of marrying the EPB power car with the 205 trailer to make a HAP. Am I missing something (entirely possible as I know very little about BR(SR) stock)?

I used to sometimes take a roundabout way home to travel between Victoria and Beckenham Jct on the 2 SAPs. They were quite different to the 2 HAPs.

As I recall, 2HAPs did indeed run on some Windsor/Reading services back in the 70s.

For me, my main experience of 2HAPs was North Kent Line services into Kent. Two of these journeys (from Canterbury and from Dover) were really much too long for this type of train.

Sandite unit???

2-EPB motor coach and the trailer of this and you have a 2-HAP, expensive way of doing it and you end up a DEMU motor coach and 2-EPB trailer spare.................

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/27289/31-238Z-K2005-Bachmann-Class-205-2-H-Thumper-Unit-number-1122

Would seem to be a easy no-brainer for Bachmann / Kernow to actually do a 2-HAP now...............

• RMweb Gold

2-EPB motor coach and the trailer of this and you have a 2-HAP, expensive way of doing it and you end up a DEMU motor coach and 2-EPB trailer spare.................

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/27289/31-238Z-K2005-Bachmann-Class-205-2-H-Thumper-Unit-number-1122

Would seem to be a easy no-brainer for Bachmann / Kernow to actually do a 2-HAP now...............

It's possible this is already in progress.  Kernow have said they have things in the pipeline which they're not disclosing until some of the other items are on the shelves (probably a mixture of maintaining customer confidence and cashflow?)

• RMweb Gold

It's possible this is already in progress.  Kernow have said they have things in the pipeline which they're not disclosing until some of the other items are on the shelves (probably a mixture of maintaining customer confidence and cashflow?)

Cashflow-wise, this one should be a winner because it does not need anything by way of development costs. Finding a manufacturing slot might be more of an issue.

It does seem strange that Bachmann/Kernow have not made the obvious move of marrying the EPB power car with the 205 trailer to make a HAP. Am I missing something (entirely possible as I know very little about BR(SR) stock)?

I used to sometimes take a roundabout way home to travel between Victoria and Beckenham Jct on the 2 SAPs. They were quite different to the 2 HAPs.

As I recall, 2HAPs did indeed run on some Windsor/Reading services back in the 70s.

Not just the 1970s either. As late as June 1986 I saw 6090 and 6063 at Reading, each attached to a 4-Vep on the Waterloo services.

Edited, to let it make more sense.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, my main experience of 2HAPs was North Kent Line services into Kent. Two of these journeys (from Canterbury and from Dover) were really much too long for this type of train.

Sandite unit???

The 2-SAPs were merely 2-HAPs with the first class compartments downgraded to second class. There were, however, two distinct varieties of 2-HAP: 

1. The BR standard design (class 414/2 and 414/3) introduced in 1958, formed of an open motor brake second (MBSO) plus Driving Trailer semi-open lavatory composite (DTCoL), numbered 6001-6173. As others have commented, these were essentially a 2-EPB motor coach attached to a "Hampshire"-type driving trailer, the main difference being that the trailer had 3 first class compartments rather than the 2F plus 1S (or luggage compartment) of the diesel units. The units built for the Kent Coast Phase 2 electrification (6106-6173) had Commonwealth bogies at the inner end of each vehicle.

2. The Southern Railway design (Class 414/1) introduced in 1957, with Bulleid-type bodies built on SR 62ft underframes recovered from withdrawn 4-SUB units, numbered 5601-5636. These were different in appearance, and formed of an MBSO coupled to a driving trailer lavatory composite (DTCL) with all accommodation in side corridor compartments.

Examples of both types were downgraded to 2-SAP in the 1970s. Only BR units, however, were permanently coupled in pairs and renumbered as 4-CAP sets.

Archived