A beginner's 00-SF, and the ends of wing and check rails

Keith 

I am afraid that's not the point, a small flat bar is far easier to use for those of us who have 2 hands, as well as being much easier to store in my gauge box. Also being rigid I can mark out the knuckle bend more accuratly

The 1mm feeler gauge is a small flat bar! You just remove it from the set.

Regards

PS, Why do you need a gauge to mark out the knuckle bend? I just make the bend first off the template, then use the gauges to hold it in position to mark the two ends for cutting off.  Then the second wing rail is just a mirror image so even easier.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

So they do, but feeler gauges are half the price and you get 16 other thicknesses as well. :scratchhead:

I agree, the price looks silly. But we have to applaud C&L for at least recognising the need for such a thing. Try asking for a "crossing flangeway gauge shim" anywhere else in the model trade over the last 50 years.

edit p.s. when I was supplying turnout kits 40 years ago, I included such a shim in the kit. I machined them from SRBP so they would be unaffected by soldering or flux.

Martin.

Andy

Good idea but the glue would take it to more than 1 mm but I guess less than 1.25 mm

I had no idea how thick the adhesive layer would be, so tried it with two craft knife blades. It measures 1.01 mm which is not too bad. Can't help with 1.25 mm though!

• RMweb Gold

I had no idea how thick the adhesive layer would be, so tried it with two craft knife blades. It measures 1.01 mm which is not too bad. Can't help with 1.25 mm though!

If you put a little button magnet on them (makes a handy grip) they will all stick together without needing adhesive.

Hi John,

Despite countless column inches on RMweb, I do wonder if we have properly explained 4-SF (00-SF). If someone finds a B-7 too large for general layout use, I would suggest that maybe 4-SF wouldn't be their best choice of standard.

Here is a B-7 in 4-SF alongside a Peco Large Radius turnout. It is still comfortably inside 300mm / 12" long, which is the traditional size to allow for a straight turnout in 4mm layout planning.

attachicon.gifb7_v_peco_large.png

We could perhaps say B-6 instead. But if only RTR models are being run, 00-BF works equally well as 4-SF and does allow for shorter sharp-radius turnouts.

regards,

Martin.

Just made a turnout for members who wish to can test, will up load a photo later. Must set a few ground rules we can agree on

I did say I would build an 00sf turnout for RMweb's members to borrow

post-1131-0-43939600-1446674377.jpg

It needs a thorough wash and final check and a protective sleeve so it can be safely posted. Happy to lend it to any members who are interested and all I ask is that you reimburse me the postage.

A few ground rules

1 Keep a proof of posting as the item has a value of £18,95

2 Return within 2 weeks (with a large letter stamp to reimburse postage)

3 please do not solder any wires to it or cut any rails

4 If I ask you to forward it on to the next person there no need for a stamp enclosed

If I think of any more I will add them as necessary as we go

Any other questions please ask, and I guess I better write up a few simple instructions.

• RMweb Premium

If I think of any more I will add them as necessary as we go

Looks good to me!

I remember using a bit of shareware many years ago, where the author asked users to send a postcard of their home town. Might be rather fun, especially if the turnout ends up hopping from one person to another rather than back to base.

- Richard.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some conclusions.

The compatibility of 00-SF with RTR H0 stock was queried and doubted here some months ago and I can now report that all of the following RTR models run through my turnouts without problems:

Brawa: container flats
Electrotren: ferry wagon
Fleischmann: Warship locomotive and bullied coaches
Life-Like: Proto-2000 trucks (which are ready-assembled if not quite RTR)
Liliput: ferry van
Rivarossi 1:82 LMS coaches
Roco EE 350 hp locomotive, ferry vans, open wagons

I have tweaked the back to back dimensions on some of these wheels, usually 0.1 mm or so and I think only the Rivarossi by any significant amount. Everything works, nothing has problems.

All of this stock will negotiate 18-inch Setrack turnouts and curves too. The Life-life Proto-2000 series trucks have the finest wheels. Looking at the drawings of RP-25 and squinting, perhaps these actually are RP-25. These run through a Setrack turnout with a tiny wheel drop (too small to see but you can feel it) but I cannot imagine this causing a derailment. This is fortunate, because it's in a tunnel accessible from underneath.

My layout is small and I cannot run a train at any significant speed, and so I know 00-SF here will remain "unproven" by at least one protagonist of 00 gauge. It is just right for me and I recommend anyone wanting better-looking 00 track to give it a try.

One doubt - am I allowed to still call it 00-SF if I end up with a British H0 layout?

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

[quote name="47137" post="2236113"

One doubt - am I allowed to still call it 00-SF if I end up with a British H0 layout?

- Richard.

Hi Richard,

It's your layout, so you can call it egg n' chips if you feel so inclined...

Cheers,

Brian

Archived