GWR 5967 Bickmarsh Hall.... 'Railroad' revamp.

A very acceptable Hall for not to much money sums it up a treat. I look forward to the next project!

Mick

Probably no more projects as such, however, it is likely any future green Hornby locos will be fully repainted.  I fancy a 'Grange' next. Is there anything wrong with the Hornby model?

• RMweb Gold

Probably no more projects as such, however, it is likely any future green Hornby locos will be fully repainted.  I fancy a 'Grange' next. Is there anything wrong with the Hornby model?

I have two and my only criticism is they are a bit lightweight. I wish Hornby would do a post war GWR version.i've always had a soft spot for these engines.

• RMweb Gold

I have two and my only criticism is they are a bit lightweight. I wish Hornby would do a post war GWR version.i've always had a soft spot for these engines.

Depends on which batch. The earliest versions (2004) tend to have more clout than the later ones. ...."Resolven Grange" for instance.

• RMweb Gold

Depends on which batch. The earliest versions (2004) tend to have more clout than the later ones. ...."Resolven Grange" for instance.

'Resolven' appears to come in modern Hornby guise - you either get a good 'un or a not so good 'un.  Mine did very well on a friends WR layout running with no problems at all.

I will be very interested to see what goes on with the next Western project as I have a black 'Grange' which really ought to be green to suit my period - but it was cheap and it was a  nice day out popping down to the Plymouth show to collect it.

'Resolven' appears to come in modern Hornby guise - you either get a good 'un or a not so good 'un.  Mine did very well on a friends WR layout running with no problems at all.

I will be very interested to see what goes on with the next Western project as I have a black 'Grange' which really ought to be green to suit my period - but it was cheap and it was a  nice day out popping down to the Plymouth show to collect it.

One of the main reasons for asking about a 'Grange' is I have only taken notice of RTR in recent years and so buying a 'old joke' when Hornby has been upgrading for donkeys years is an ever present risk. Did Bachmann do a Grange recently?

I thought the loco would have to be set aside for a few days but Jim Grindley@Modelmaster played a blinder and the engraved plates for Bickworth Hall arrived this dinnertime. To speed things up, I mixed a bit of cellulose to a close match to the green and painted the nameplates then lined them out.

attachicon.gifWEB Hall 12.jpg

After fitting the plates, the loco and tender were sprayed lightly over with clear cellulose to level everything off. An etched Tender plate was fitted then the splashers, window frames and cab beading were finished gold. I really should dust models down before I photograph them(!). The loco is as running in 1957 and as such would have had LH and RH facing totems.....

attachicon.gifWEB Hall 13.jpg

You won't find any Hornby or Bachmann locos in this green although Bachmann comes closest with its dark green (it is just to bluish)....

attachicon.gifWEB Hall 14.jpg

My standard lining for this green is actually Humbrol Gloss No.9 tan with a touch of orange added. It should be barely visible from a distance. That said, the Hornby lining on the cylinders and boiler bands was retained. So for £41.00 + engraved plates, I consider the project very worthwhile. 

Brilliant job Coach, most impressed and a positive bargain for the money.

Having renamed numerous Hornby Royals Scots I sympathise with the amount of effort required to remove, adjust and replace the brass splasher/nameplate combination. I use a file for the smaller jobs and a cutting disc when I need to shave off lots of brass.

I've always wondered what is the most correct version of BR green; it definitely isn't that used by Hornby. I recently resprayed a Bulleid with Railmatch BR green, but I don't think it's yellow enough.

My only criticism (and it is minor) is the use of HMRS BR totems as they are slightly oversize, Fox do a far better version.

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

One of the main reasons for asking about a 'Grange' is I have only taken notice of RTR in recent years and so buying a 'old joke' when Hornby has been upgrading for donkeys years is an ever present risk. Did Bachmann do a Grange recently?

No,sorry.....but watch out for the soon to be released Modified Halls and The Shakespeare Express train pack.

Brilliant job Coach, most impressed and a positive bargain for the money.

Having renamed numerous Hornby Royals Scots I sympathise with the amount of effort required to remove, adjust and replace the brass splasher/nameplate combination. I use a file for the smaller jobs and a cutting disc when I need to shave off lots of brass.

I've always wondered what is the most correct version of BR green; it definitely isn't that used by Hornby. I recently resprayed a Bulleid with Railmatch BR green, but I don't think it's yellow enough.

My only criticism (and it is minor) is the use of HMRS BR totems as they are slightly oversize, Fox do a far better version.

Glenn

Thanks. Two greens from the Phoenix Precision range are virtually identical, namely P11 GWR Loco Green (1945-48) and P100 BR Loco Green (Pre 1954). Therefore I could have chosen either. I chose post-war GWR green as soon as the owner of PPC sent me a tin when it first came out many many years ago and because BR adopted GWR green. You see when I was a young man in the 1950s, it was hard to tell straight away if a loco was green or black until it got close, not because of grime but because the green always looked an dark oily colour. I am merely stating which paint I used and why.

• RMweb Gold

The older Hornby 'Grange' is as good as, and probably better finished in quality of assembly, than the recent reissue.  In detail terms it was a good 'un from the very beginning - captures the look of the class very well and is one of Hornby's better efforts at a GWR engine and it was of course made by Kader.  Kader also made the Bachmann 'Hall' - which I prefer in looks to the new Hornby one  (reminds me, I've got a black one of those as well, which I acquired in an auction lot, nicely run-in).

I can recommend the original Hornby Grange.  Mine is the best running Hornby loco I have.  Much better than the Bachmann Hall not to mention the Hornby Star which I regard as a lemon.  I would recommend looking for a second-hand original model rather than the recent version.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the responses about a 'Grange'. Can I press this a bit further and enquire if the latest Hornby R3209  'Bucklebury Grange' is a good 'un?  So long as it runs well, extra detailing and adding weight is no problem.

I think the answer really has to be 'if you get the right one'  There have been some assembly faults - the most obvious being the tender rear handrails which come at very odd distances from the bodywork on some examples and the piston is missing from the vacuum pump but reports on running qualities seem to vary with the new 'Granges' (I've been lucky, some folk haven't).

If you contact the now somewhat younger member of the Treacher family in Alton and he has one Paul will, I'm sure, make sure it's fully tested and ok before despatch - after all he did that with my 64XX ('to avoid a wasted trip for us') and I only had to drive 30 miles or so to collect it.

• RMweb Premium

I think the answer really has to be 'if you get the right one'  There have been some assembly faults - the most obvious being the tender rear handrails which come at very odd distances from the bodywork on some examples and the piston is missing from the vacuum pump but reports on running qualities seem to vary with the new 'Granges' (I've been lucky, some folk haven't).

If you contact the now somewhat younger member of the Treacher family in Alton and he has one Paul will, I'm sure, make sure it's fully tested and ok before despatch - after all he did that with my 64XX ('to avoid a wasted trip for us') and I only had to drive 30 miles or so to collect it.

My Bucklebury has a number of issues but unfortunately I didn't spot these for some considerable time after purchase so I have put this down to 'experience' (and my laziness).

​QC problems are:

• General bad fit of motion parts.
  • Rocking about the centre drivers.
  • Broken sand pipe.

Design issues:

• The previously mentioned tender handrails.
  • Smokebox door handles too small.
  • Shiney finish of reverser reach rod and coupling/conecting rods.

However, I like the close coupling plus the wiring between engine and tender passes for vacuum, steam heat and water pipework.

Fortunately I can sort all these issues out for myself and it has encouraged me to use the engine for a detailing/weathering project. The moral of the story is check at the earliest opportunity!

Thanks. Two greens from the Phoenix Precision range are virtually identical, namely P11 GWR Loco Green (1945-48) and P100 BR Loco Green (Pre 1954). Therefore I could have chosen either. I chose post-war GWR green as soon as the owner of PPC sent me a tin when it first came out many many years ago and because BR adopted GWR green. You see when I was a young man in the 1950s, it was hard to tell straight away if a loco was green or black until it got close, not because of grime but because the green always looked an dark oily colour. I am merely stating which paint I used and why.

Thanks for that advice, being a 'young' 51 and being born and bred in Portsmouth the things I saw most often were EMUs in BR blue and grey (hardly inspiring), I have no memory of steam or BR green.

I think I have some of the Phoenix P100 paint somewhere, I will give that a whirl on the next Bulleid I do.

Glenn

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I thought the loco would have to be set aside for a few days but Jim Grindley@Modelmaster played a blinder and the engraved plates for Bickworth Hall arrived this dinnertime. To speed things up, I mixed a bit of cellulose to a close match to the green and painted the nameplates then lined them out.

attachicon.gifWEB Hall 12.jpg

After fitting the plates, the loco and tender were sprayed lightly over with clear cellulose to level everything off. An etched Tender plate was fitted then the splashers, window frames and cab beading were finished gold. I really should dust models down before I photograph them(!). The loco is as running in 1957 and as such would have had LH and RH facing totems.....

attachicon.gifWEB Hall 13.jpg

You won't find any Hornby or Bachmann locos in this green although Bachmann comes closest with its dark green (it is just to bluish)....

attachicon.gifWEB Hall 14.jpg

My standard lining for this green is actually Humbrol Gloss No.9 tan with a touch of orange added. It should be barely visible from a distance. That said, the Hornby lining on the cylinders and boiler bands was retained. So for £41.00 + engraved plates, I consider the project very worthwhile. 

I keep throwing money at the screen but nothing shows up in the post box! :P

Archived