Elsbridge Tramway Company: Elsbridge Town - NeilHB's layout

NeilHB

I was shocked and saddened when I first read of this. I didn't know Neil at all but I always enjoyed reading his latest update to Elsbridge, which is a lovely, inspirational little layout. Through his writing Neil always came across as not only an excellent and creative modeller but also a genuinely kind and considerate human being. My thoughts are with his husband, relatives and all who knew him. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Thank you for your kind thoughts and words about Neil, they’re much appreciated.

I’ve now been advised of Neil’s funeral arrangements, if anyone wishes to attend then please send me a message and I will pass them on. 

Thank you,

Andrew

• Friendly/supportive 5

• 3 weeks later...

Today we said our goodbyes to Neil at a packed Trent Valley Crematorium near Derby. 

However, Neil’s legacy will live on, by agreement with Neil’s widower Dan, the Trent Valley Group will become custodians of ‘Elsbridge’ and maintain the layout in a running condition. We will be taking Elsbridge to Burton for the 7mmNGA Convention as Neil intended. Going forwards, we will hopefully exhibit the layout on occasion. 

82A200F5-DC45-42A9-931F-4F4BDF8B8793.jpeg.5f5cf3a3c65672e45e41e51102f6ea4a.jpeg
Look forward to seeing some of you on Saturday. 

Andrew

• Friendly/supportive 17

Pleased to report that Elsbridge ran very well on Saturday, with no problems and plenty of positive comments about the layout. Some thoughts and photos can be found here:

https://melynvalleyrailway.blogspot.com/2023/06/the-show-must-go-on.html?m=1

And secondly my photos of some of the other exhibits that caught my eye:

https://melynvalleyrailway.blogspot.com/2023/06/burton-2023.html?m=1

It’s been a hectic few weeks and a rollercoaster of emotions. The layout is safely stored currently and I shall be having a quiet few weeks, including a holiday. However, when there is news about Elsbridge then I will share it here. 

There may well be exhibition appearances in future, invitations and availability depending of course. The layout will be set up and kept operable. After the funeral there was some talk of producing a video for those who knew Neil but have yet to see the layout run. One of our Group members does creative media as his day job so that is an option we will be looking at. 

Andrew

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I've only just stumbled across this most awful news. I never met Neil but he frequented the Sheep Chronicles and we exchanged notes.

I was looking forward to finally meeting Neil in Derby next year at the M.A.G show. Sadly this will now never happen. 

From his writing he came across as a thoroughly decent, nice man and it's clear from those who knew him far better than I that he was indeed just that. 

My thoughts are with Dan and Neil's family. 

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 8

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Evening all. ‘Elsbridge’ has been reckon occasionally since my last post here, on occasion I have headed into the attic and bothered a few wagons as suitable therapy from the rigors of the real world. 

Should anyone in the Derby area wish to see ‘Elsbridge’ then we will be taking it and running it at our Group’s next Modelling Day in January in Mickleover. 

Full details available: 

Hopefully see and chat to some of you there.

IMG_5602.jpeg.32f0c8e42a212b65608a31f0c03fe75b.jpeg

Andrew

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2023 at 22:20, Andrew Young said:

Elsbridge in its new home.C905F19B-AB5E-4CD1-B0A1-4EEE3532989D.jpeg.62ce07e56cce03e239b73e37cec5d204.jpeg

Great to see it up and being used, don’t be afraid to evolve things subtly either, Neil’s ideas weren’t static so I’m sure he would approve of minor tinkering. 
Cracking little layout. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Great to see it up and being used, don’t be afraid to evolve things subtly either, Neil’s ideas weren’t static so I’m sure he would approve of minor tinkering. 
Cracking little layout. 

Thanks Paul, have been pondering how to make the best of ‘Elsbridge’ going forward. being operated and run is the best way of keeping the layout and also one I’m certain Neil would’ve approved of. Thankfully, the main station boards were pretty much finished by Neil so can stay as they are.

The last conversation I had with Neil he’d said that when he’d ripped the track up and started again, he’d used the same plan as the one I’d started with and changed from which we both had a chuckle about. As a result, have enjoyed running my Melyn Valley stock on Elsbridge, the Sudrian landscape passing nicely for mid Wales! Sometimes I run Neil’s stock as well I must add! In time I intend having two drawers of stock, mine and Neil’s and can run one or the other as I wish.

Neil ran shorter train lengths than I’d intended, but in running the layout, I’ve quite enjoyed running the shorter trains. My Ixion and Minerva locos look quite at home on the layout. The one issue I have is the curve onto the sector plate, my carriages are slightly wider and catch the edge walls of the cassette. I am mulling over the thought of adding an additional board between the station and the fiddle yard, to give a straight approach to the f/yard so that my stock will run as well as Neil’s does. 

The weight and bulk of O standard gauge models in cassettes is also a bit daunting and wonder whether a traverser (which I have) would be better served being used. So, a few things to ponder. But most importantly, firstly, the two scenic boards will be unaltered other than possibly a few finishing touches (such as an interior to the shops) and any additions will be sympathetic and be done to blend in with the Elsbridge boards as possible. Will see what happens, have Wheal Ponder to finish first!

Andrew

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Very sad to read these posts. I hadn't picked up on this thread but I had often seen Neil posting on the same threads as me. To go so young is a cruel twist of fate and this shows how much he had to give.

Don

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, Donw said:

Very sad to read these posts. I hadn't picked up on this thread but I had often seen Neil posting on the same threads as me. To go so young is a cruel twist of fate and this shows how much he had to give.

Don

Thank you Don. Agree, taken far too young and has left a big hole in several people’s lives.

Andrew

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

Time for a reminder…. The Trent Valley Group’s annual Modelling Day takes place a fortnight today. Mike has been stockpiling bacon and my better half has been deciding which cakes to bake. So I’d better clean the track on ‘Elsbridge’ so that we’re good to go.

Andrew

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spent an enjoyable couple of hours at the show this morning. Bacon cobs were to the usual high standard and the smell of bacon hit you before you even got in the door 😄

I took a few pics of the different layouts on display which I will add here.

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

IMG_0742.jpeg

IMG_0743.jpeg

IMG_0744.jpeg

IMG_0745.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

IMG_0748.jpeg

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0750.jpeg

IMG_0751.jpeg

IMG_0752.jpeg

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg

IMG_0755.jpeg

IMG_0756.jpeg

IMG_0757.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ade. Another set of great photos which show the variety of layouts we had on display - although organised by the small local group of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association, we actually had OO9, O9, O-14, O-16.5, O standard, On2, On3, 16mm and even one I hadn't thought about before which was O-24.5 as the etched trams from the Kinver Light Railway were running on 3ft 6in gauge track !!

Many thanks to all those who came to see us and in particular helped to reduce Neil's book mountain that our group had inherited - funds raised will go towards our new group layout, a project he was keen to get started once he had finished Elsbridge. It is fitting to note that one of the three helpers in the kitchen was Neil's' mum Leigh, and his husband Dan had intended to be there as well but he has a rather important accountancy exam on Monday and had some essential revision to complete.

We are already talking about our plans for next year's show . . . . . . 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

The Mickleover modelling day has proved a welcome boost to

productivity and my modelling mojo.

My attic space has had a long overdue good tidy up and sort out plus the first visit from the Hoover in a fair while!

Elsbridge is once more set up, albeit in a different place in the attic to where it was before, complete with the proper ETC stock on it and can be operated with the flick of a couple of switches with some more detail on my blog: 

https://melynvalleyrailway.blogspot.com/2024/02/attic-life.html?m=1

Going from none to two layouts available to play with is quite an improvement and have been enjoying doing some modelling and then running just the one or trains on the layout as part of this. 

Andrew

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2