What to do with an old Triang DC Controller?

Ron Ron Ron

Lurking in a box of old model railway items from my childhood train set, is my old Triang P5 controller.

It must be from circa 1960 and saw most of its light use in the early and mid 1960's.

It lay boxed up for about 30 years before my parents had a clear out and gave me my old train set stuff, in the 1990's.

My son, then a youngster, already had his train set, so I tried out the old Triang locos and rolling stock, but decided it might as well all be sold.

When trying the controller, it gave off that dodgy electrical smell, which was quite strong and I thought best to not use it again in case it was unsafe.

No visible smoke though.

Since then the controller has been back in its box for the last dozen or so years.

Finally I'm going to have a clear out and the P5 will be going.

The question is, could it be serviced or repaired and would it be appropriate to offer it for sale with the warning that it needed such work?

Alternatively I could just take it to the council waste centre and dump it in the electrical section, but I don't want to do that if someone is able to make use of it, if it can be made safe.

Getting some money for it  is neither here nor there AFAIC. Unless it has some collectable value?

Any thoughts?

Regards

Ron

A few on ebay, saying they are not working. If you thought someone may be glad of it, put it on there, for spares or repair, but easier to bin it. (bin meaning chuck it in the council skip, not 'buy it now')

Best wishes,

Ray

I had an old controller, I think it was a H & M that was working perfectly when I put it away 40 years ago. 

Rediscovered it last year, plugged it in - nothing but that familiar smell, so took the back off, all the insulation was crumbling, it was near lethal.

I am pleased to say it was recycled, at the local tip.

A few on ebay, saying they are not working. If you thought someone may be glad of it, put it on there, for spares or repair........

I had a look and they're only asking pennies for the ones on there.

Mind you, mine looks to be in far better cosmetic condition than the ones shown on ebay.

Not really worth the hassle just to earn a £5'er or so.

What would you do with a 50 odd year old tele, or iron...or hairdryer.......that had been kept in similar conditions.............and gave off a strong smell when plugged in......;-)

Bin it, safest thing to do.

That's my inclination, but I wondered if a load of people would jump up and down and say they were desirable and someone would love to restore it, or suchlike.

People seem to collect all sorts of worthless junk.

I had an old controller, I think it was a H & M that was working perfectly when I put it away 40 years ago. 

Rediscovered it last year, plugged it in - nothing but that familiar smell, so took the back off, all the insulation was crumbling, it was near lethal.

I am pleased to say it was recycled, at the local tip.

I'll open mine up tomorrow morning and have a look out of curiousity. It can then go to the recycling centre/tip.

I do wonder about those members on here who proudly proclaim that they're using a trusty old 30 or 40 year H&M or whatever controller.

How many have had them checked out, or rebuilt?

Thanks to all for the replies.

The old P5 is a solid piece of kit, take the top off, I think the four screws around the lower front and lower back hold the top on and check the wires, especially the grommet or strain relief sleeve where the lead exits the case, I have three and they are all fine.   Check the resistance mat which can suffer from advanced age and if it looks ok vacuum out the dust..  My guess is you will find something amiss but if not connect it up and make sure the cut out works by shorting it out. If that is Ok run a train.  One of mine had rectifier failure and only worked as a half wave controller, but a 5 amp bridge rectifier from Maplin cured that and it does the job of running Triang Locos for which it was designed.

The later "Westminster" is awful as it switches from half to full at half speed and trains are completely uncontrollable in the middle speed range.

The older controllers with their fabric covered leads, Hornby Dublo Marshall 3s and the like and mid 1950s H and M need careful checking of their leads and internal wiring, but be careful, the mid 70s wiring is the worst in my my experience, Our Village Hall had to replace all the florescent lights installed in 1976 some 20 years ago as the insulation on the internal wires and started to fail, the copper wire went blue and the insulation it looked as if it had been attacked with acid. 

• RMweb Premium

Its a lousy controller anyway, even if working as new. Definitely no collectors item, unless MIB & so no intention of using it.

Just looked on Google & I can see one advertised for 2 pound 95, plus 26.50 postage to Australia. I think I'll pass!!

I would bin the thing too. But cut the plug off it first, to prevent someone else unskilled, from plugging it in & potentially getting into trouble, or worse.

Our Village Hall had to replace all the florescent lights installed in 1976 some 20 years ago as the insulation on the internal wires and started to fail, the copper wire went blue and the insulation it looked as if it had been attacked with acid.

Was the cabling run through polystyrene insulation? There's a well documented problem with that.

I would never, ever, bin anything with a transformer in it. Transformers can last forever and contain lots of precious copper. It also has a rather atractive vintage box. There are plenty of electronics enthusiasts out there who would happily modify it into a new piece of kit (probably nothing to do with railway modelling). Even if you only get £1 for it, it's better than adding to our landfill problem.

• RMweb Premium

I would never, ever, bin anything with a transformer in it. Transformers can last forever and contain lots of precious copper. It also has a rather atractive vintage box. There are plenty of electronics enthusiasts out there who would happily modify it into a new piece of kit (probably nothing to do with railway modelling). Even if you only get £1 for it, it's better than adding to our landfill problem.

OK, I agree that it ought not go in the bin for landfill, but recycling, yes.

As it whether or not its worth selling to reuse, is another matter. The cost of getting it to a new owner is a major problem. But don't forget the OP told us that when plugged in, it gave a very strong odour.

In view of the latter point, its potentially dangerous to on sell and so deserves recycling.

OK, I agree that it ought not go in the bin for landfill, but recycling, yes.

As it whether or not its worth selling to reuse, is another matter. The cost of getting it to a new owner is a major problem. But don't forget the OP told us that when plugged in, it gave a very strong odour.

In view of the latter point, its potentially dangerous to on sell and so deserves recycling.

Strip the wires out (including the copper wire from transformer) and recycle it into trees and bushes?

Was the cabling run through polystyrene insulation? There's a well documented problem with that.

No the insulation within the sheet metal strip light's body had failed, the insulation had receeded leaving 10 mm or so of bare wire at the connector blocks and blue deposit on the copper wire, luckily they are 13 feet above the floor and they failed the annual electrical test before the hall caught fire or anyone died. Apart from the insulation failing the lights were otherwise fine and I rewired several and they are still in use lighting the loft.   My point is they are 1975 vintage and failed in the 1990s, my Triang P5s are 50 years old and their wiring is fine.  Personally I would check any electrical appliance both with an ohm meter and a Mk 1 eyeball before using it, drill out the rivets in the metal case and have a look inside, if you can't look in, chuck it in the bin is one of my many mottos, along with "just because its new doesn't necessarily mean it is any good."

Archived