RMweb

Class 74 on boat train in Southampton Docks

Having been in southampton yesterday and seeing Britannia ready for her maiden voyage I made the posting on facebook regarding the backdrop. The new liners are like skyscrapers when you are driving alongside them

Colin

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think that all the photos so far are from the era where the trains are serving cruise liners.

I can just recall, as a small child, travelling up on a boat train connecting with a cross-channel ferry. It was the only time that I had Afternoon Tea on a train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that all the photos so far are from the era where the trains are serving cruise liners.

I can just recall, as a small child, travelling up on a boat train connecting with a cross-channel ferry. It was the only time that I had Afternoon Tea on a train.

Not necessarily.  QE2 was operating regular transatlantic trips into the 1970s so photos could well be of 'proper' boat trains.   

And the term 'cruise liner' is really an oxymoron although nowadays the QM2, which very definitely is a cruise ship design, does operate what amounts to an occasional liner service across the Atlantic, i.e. she operates pre-advertised regular  timetabled sailings between two (or more) ports on which passengers and freight can be booked to travel from one port to another.   Cruise ships don't do that - you join at A and wherever you might go in between you usually finish up disembarking back at A.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

.......... - you join at A and wherever you might go in between you usually finish up disembarking back at A.

I've never cruised on anything larger than S.S. Shieldhall - above - but from what I've heard a lot of cruise 'packages' involve flying from wherever to A, cruising to B and flying home - so the ship has a far longer circuit, carrying different passengers for different segments. ( No doubt the whole thing's available, complete, if you've got the dosh .... and the patience ! )