Newcastle - Liverpool of trans pennine

• RMweb Gold

31406 worked a Friday afternoon service from Lime St in late 82/early 83 when I was a student in Liverpool. I took it as far as Man Vic. It was the only one I saw on such a working in my time in Liverpool (82-85) or visiting Darlington regularly whilst living on Teesside from Easter 85 onwards.

31406 worked a Friday afternoon service from Lime St in late 82/early 83 when I was a student in Liverpool. I took it as far as Man Vic. It was the only one I saw on such a working in my time in Liverpool (82-85) or visiting Darlington regularly whilst living on Teesside from Easter 85 onwards.

In 1990-93 class 31's did turn up from time to time on the Liverpool trains. Not a daily sight but not unusual.

post-9992-0-07666600-1446410879_thumb.jpg

31405 refuelling at Gateshead prior to working back to Liverpool

post-9992-0-18168900-1446410897_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I worked at Huddersfield station during 1979 - 1985. I worked various day and night shifts during my time there and saw quite a variety of interesting Trans-Pennine workings.

I posted a few (daytime) pics on Flickr which some of you, might find quite interesting.

Deltic  https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294071@N02/3815838992/in/photolist

Class 31  https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294071@N02/5430826898

Scotrail "47"  https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294071@N02/5595545225/in/photolist-9wsCDF-9ws6HF-9bjxej-xVodn9

47 373 https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294071@N02/3871452855

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I don't recall there being class 50s on Newcastle - Liverpool services.

In the early 70s they did go into Manchester Victoria on services from Glasgow.

I think they might have operated alongside Deltics on the York to Wales parcels train which swapped traction at Stockport, but this ran only in the night and you would find the locomotive stabled centre road in Stockport around midnight awaiting it's reverse to York.

Classes mainly used 40,46 and then maybe 31s and ended with 47's till DMU's took over. Deltics wern't regular only used to ensure they worked before use on a rail tour.

Loco's used were mainly Gateshead allocated but you could get one from further north being used if was on its way to Crewe works or back

Edited by johnd

• RMweb Premium

I was a fairly regular user of Newcastle - Liverpool services when a student from 76 - 80.  Nearly always a Gateshead 46, sometimes a 47, and occasionally a 40, (which always lost time), a green 47 was around a lot then, I have a photo somewhere.  Never saw a 31, they wouldn't have been able to have coped.  A Trans-Pennine unit to York was a option from Liverpool if I missed the through train, they were lovely to ride in, with surprisingly good performance.  Happy days....

Hello everyone

Anyone has seen class 50 blue large logo or network southeast has been running from Newcastle or Liverpool though trans pennine route via Leeds in 1987 between 1994 BUT not rail tours

Thank you

I never saw a class 50 on revenue services. I did see 50's on running in turns after refurbishment at Doncaster, in the late 1970's / early 1980's, with test train which often worked to either Tyne Yard or worked across the Newcastle bridges to face South for the rerun to Doncaster. On one occasion 50035 worked the test train in plain grey undercoat and was sent to the WR in the same condition. 50050 worked up the ECML to Teesside for Thornaby openday in 1992.

Mike Wiltshire

The 40's or to give them the proper name English Electric Type 4 may have lost time but the sound at 90mph trying to keep time between Newcastle and York was a sound to be heared, absolutely wonder full if you could be in one of the compartments nearest the Loco.  A good place for sound was leaving Manchester Victoria up Miles Platting bank and the stretch of line from Stalybridge to Huddersfield !

A good place for sound was leaving Manchester Victoria up Miles Platting bank and the stretch of line from Stalybridge to Huddersfield !

Indeed it was, the Peaks were good out of Victoria but the 47s were really impressive sounding. Small change in engine tone, puff of exhaust, begins to roll forward, serck shutters open and then it all kicked in.

I think I watched a lot of 47s out of Victoria, perhaps too many.

• RMweb Premium

I studied for my Institute of Transport qualification at St John's College in Manchester. One of the lecture rooms had a view of the line leaving Mnchester for Liverpool. Many on the course and one of the lecturers were railway enthusiasts. Lectures always stopped when a Deltic was due. Happy days.

If any railtour organisers are reading this, how about a Liverpool - Manchester - York - Newcastle railtour behind a Deltic?

• Like 4

Classes mainly used 40,46 and then maybe 31s and ended with 47's till DMU's took over. Deltics wern't regular only used to ensure they worked before use on a rail tour.

Loco's used were mainly Gateshead allocated but you could get one from further north being used if was on its way to Crewe works or back

John

Whilst the trans-pennines were used as a test run for the "railtour 4" Deltics before a railtour (2,9,15,22), there were plenty of instances of the non railtour examples being used on these trains as well.

Simon

In 1990s BR Gateshead diesel depot has closed down by all class 47s duties of trans pennine transferred to where diesel depot ?

Anyone know about

Please give information thank you

Crewe Diesel depot produced the locomotives for the pennine turns.

• RMweb Premium

In 1990s BR Gateshead diesel depot has closed down by all class 47s duties of trans pennine transferred to where diesel depot ?

Anyone know about

Please give information thank you

It was more the other way round, the Pennine 47s were replaced by 158 DMUs so, with less work, the depot closed - although it fuelled and serviced parcels sector locos after the Pennines had finished. As SGL said the loco's were allocated to Crewe, so only visited Gateshead for fuel and minor servicing.

• RMweb Premium

The 40's or to give them the proper name English Electric Type 4 may have lost time but the sound at 90mph trying to keep time between Newcastle and York was a sound to be heared, absolutely wonder full if you could be in one of the compartments nearest the Loco.  A good place for sound was leaving Manchester Victoria up Miles Platting bank and the stretch of line from Stalybridge to Huddersfield !

I prefer the sound of a Peak myself!  The EE type 4's most often used to appear on the Sunday afternoon NCL-LPL for some reason, covering maintenance maybe?

The comment the OP made about Peaks being unreliable obviously is too young to have realised how poor the Brush Type 4's (47) were originally, and that they had to be de-rated to keep them in one piece!

The EE locos were the most reliable though, especially 20's (Type 1) but they wouldn't touch a trans-pennine!

Hi all,

The Peaks were phased out because of the BR traction policy in the late 1980's. They held their own on the Trans Pennine route. 90mph plus on the race track north of York. The class 47's they got to replace them (Crewe Diesel based locos) were past their prime. So class 31's stood in for them.

In the early eighties class 40's, 45's and 46 were the main engines available so used. They were on load 8 or 9 so acceleration wasn't going to be the best anyway.

When the class 47's took over in 1989 the brake block wear was really bad over the pennines. If you window hanged on a night time run the sparks had to be seen to be believed.

Regards

Vin

Go back to the early 70's the load on the Newcastle/Liverpool trains was always  11 and occasionally 12. Now that's what I call a train !

The load was reduced to speed up the service I think.

Edited by johnd

• RMweb Premium

Here we go - miserable photo sorry, leaving Newcastle, a Peak this time:

post-10195-0-67163900-1451855797_thumb.jpg

Still in Green, 47 358 being tied on at Lime Street for my journey home for a weekend of different flavour beer!  Raining of course - it is Liverpool.....

post-10195-0-50510500-1451855853_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I lived by the portal of Standedge tunnel in Diggle from the early 70s until 1982 when I went to university. I used to spot out of my bedroom window. I can confirm what others have written that the majority of services were hauled by 47/4s - often the Gateshead locos. I recall the early locos 401- 420 cropped up a lot as some of these were allocated to Gateshead around this time. Also very common were 46s until withdrawals started to eat into their numbers. 45s though not unknown were by comparison much less common. 31s were very rare - I call recall maybe once seeing one on a passenger service. 40s continued to crop up from time to time and especially on specials or summer Saturday's. 37s though common on freight rarely if ever handled passenger traffic. 25s were also rare on passenger work though I did see them on parcels or freight very occasionally. I never saw a 50 and a 20 only once as part of a light engine move though a friend reported seeing a pair on a freight once. After the Woodhead line closed we got 56s on MGR workings. I did see an HST once and of course the Deltics were the highlight. The first Deltic working was on 5/7/78 on a York Shrewsbury mail with 55017 working as far as Stockport. In June 79 55015 worked a Passenger service to Liverpool for the first time. The last Deltic working was 55002 on December 30th 1982. The loco was due to work the farewell rail tour a few days later but failed on arrival at York and was withdrawn. My Dad also saw the prototype Deltic at Diggle many years earlier and I've often wondered if the production units were delivered from Vulcan foundry to the Eastern region via this line. I didn't pay much attention to DMUs but recall the 124s as 5 car units, then when the 123s were moved up from the Western region they were mixed with the 124s and ran in a variety of formations - I think they were on their last legs by then and it was a case of make do and mend. I also saw Derby 108s, Cravens 105s, the BRCW 104s and 110s as well at the Metro Cammel units. I think I may have gone slightly beyond the question here but it brought back a lot of happy memories.

Edited by On the red line

• RMweb Gold

There's some great memories on this thread and I agree with everything On-the-red-line has said.

My own vantage point was when we lived in Mossley, line side, from the mid 70s to the end of the 80s. With views of the railway from every window and my frequent trips to Manchester Victoria, from Stalybridge, I got to know the Pennines Traction quite well.

Here is some of my notes for the Newcastle-Liverpools.

(They are not very good notes!!!)

Sorry but what is listed is what I have written and thus any further details would be much appreciated.

31-10-79 (Wednesday)

These were all “bashed” between Stalybridge and Manchester Victoria or return.

47522 MV - SB

47552 SB - MV

45027 MV - SB

47521 SB - MV

47507 MV - SB

47422 SB - MV

55015 MV - SB

47483 SB - MV

47517 MV - SB

26-12-79 (Wednesday)

Again, poor notes and all “bashed” between Stalybridge and Manchester Victoria, (or return).

47407 SB - MV

47449 MV - SB

47530 SB - MV

47520 MV - SB

(A bad days bashing!)

28-12-79 (Friday)

All “bashed” between Stalybridge and Manchester Victoria.

47524 SB - MV

47486 MV - SB

47401 SB - MV

47520 MV - SB

46007 SB - MV (For some reason I don't recall to many class46s, working the TP) and this is one of them!)

47535 MV - SB

29-12-79 (Saturday)

All “bashed” between SB and MV.

47527 SB - MV

47486 MV - SB

47535 SB - MV

55019 MV - SB

47457 SB - MV

47403 MV - SB

40047 SB - MV

47527 MV - SB

(A good days bashing – {on my limited resources}!)

02-01-80 (Wednesday)

All between SB and MV (or return).

47421 SB - MV

47521 MV - SB

46045 SB - MV

47520 MV - SB

47255 SB - MV (Not a common Loco on this turn)

40077 MV - SB

47526 SB - MV

47474 MV - SB

47421 MV - SB

More to follow,

Kev.

Edit to add extra detail from another log book.

Edited by SHMD
  • Like 3