West Croydon - 80s/90s Network SouthEast

Pete 75C

As Duncan rightly says, it's not going into a skip. I still have a passion for the area and have spent the last 4 months doing the best job I can with the layout build. It runs sweetly, the slow-action Tillig points are a joy to behold etc etc. I certainly won't be binning it. Having spent quite a considerable amount on the build ranging from all the ply and softwood used in the baseboards and legs, the cost of the track and points, frog juicers and servos etc, I can't really afford to write off the cost of materials so far and donate it to a club, assuming that any club would want it... that would be a nice gesture and would give me a certain amount of the "feel-good" factor but I think I'd rather hang on to it. Although I don't have room to have more than one board set up at a time, progress would not be impossible...

If anyone would like to take on the project for the cost of materials so far and then keep this thread going and see it through to completion, let me know. I think otherwise, it will be split into 4 sections and stored at least for a while longer.

I've tried to think carefully about my answer to to your problem which in a way I have faced in the past. Don't give up the ship! Have you considered constructing boxes for each section of your layout? As you haven't started on any scenery that should be easier. Then you could stand the layout out of the way and it will become just another "wardrobe" shape when you move.

If you remember a Southern Electric layout I helped build for the Hull MRS called "Chessington Chalk Lane", that had it's track and wiring installed in the room I am typing this now.

A small bedroom which has become a smaller "Hobby Room".

Only two sections could be erected at any one time and the space was so tight that I had to crawl underneath, through the legs to get around it. The layout (now up for sale) Brockley Green was also built here and to assemble it in it's entirety, I had to wait until I had the house to myself and slide each section down the stairs and assemble it in our through lounge. 

post-276-0-37632500-1437905472.jpg

My solution wasn't to move house but sell my other pride and joy, my vintage motorcycle, and use the money (after paying VAT, Valerie's added tax) to build a garage with a workshop within it. 

Do you have friends or family who could offer you temporary storage space? A local club was mentioned, instead of giving them the layout, ask for storage space.

I hope things turn out well for you.

Keep smiling!

If you do decide to keep it Pete, bung it in the Transit and bring it down to Spain. It might be good to have as a project for a rainy day. :sungum:

You can store it at my workplace. We´ve got 3000m2 of floor space with racking so I reckon I could find space for it whilst you look for a place out here.

I haven´t got any southern electrics so there´s no way I could ever play with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

As followers of this thread will know, Pete was looking at the future of West Croydon, with it possibly going to into storage...

I'm very happy to inform you that West Croydon will live on! Having talking with Pete over the past couple of weeks, I'm pleased to say that I have taken on West Croydon for Pete.

I went up yesterday and relieved Pete of this wonderful layout and now it is set up in the High Wycombe & District Model Railway Society's Club rooms ready for some work to be done to it (btw, its owned privately by myself, not the club, its just up there while I do some work in a spacious environment before I move it to my home in Reading):

post-7271-0-41951500-1439749311_thumb.jpg

Now, I will be honest here and say I have issues with space, but I can put the scenic section up to work on (and the whole layout, just) and I will continue to work on it, and in the future 7 (hopefully near future) exhibit it.

In terms of what is next for the layout, as I say, its up at the HWDMRS Clubrooms to be worked on while I have leave for the next two weeks. The layout will continue on Pete's original plans, as I'm a modeller of the Southern London Railway Network, so don't worry! The next jobs I hope to complete over the next two weeks are:

• Complete the Roman Way Bridge and Tram link Flyover
  • Lay the Tramlink line (at the moment, it will remain non-operational, but will have the ability to be easily converted)
  • Install Fully Interlocked Prototypical, Micro-processor controlled signalling and mimic panel
  • Construct a Lighting rig 
  • Construct 'Coffin Boards' for easy transportation
  • Start on scenic work

The wood work is most pressing, as I haven't got the ability to do any woodwork at my home (no tools, nor anyway of getting the materials there!), then will be the signalling, so I don't destroy any scenic work I do, and then will be scenic work.

I hope I do Pete's work justice, as it isn't until you talk to Pete and see his work up close that you realise how much effort and skill has gone into it, even at this stage!

Also, at this stage I will keep this thread going, although I may get Pete or Andy Y to change the name, once I come up with one!

Regards,

Simon

Well, I managed to keep my mouth shut about that and wait for Simon to post! I am truly delighted that it's gone to someone on RMWeb with similar interests and I look forward to future updates. My wife has already ordered the carpet for the room that West Croydon used to live in and hopefully she will now stop bending my ear long enough for it to regain it's natural shape...

When fully assembled with all four boards attached, it is actually quite a colossal structure and I freely admit to "not really thinking it through" by starting something that big with an imminent house move and eventual country relocation... the little N gauge project I'm working on (I can't not have a project) has a total footprint (including fiddle yard) of just one of the West Croydon boards and is therefore much more manageable. No third rail though <sigh>.

Simon, if you want the thread title altered in any way, just let me know, but as I said when you visited, you are more than welcome to begin a new one! Wishing you the very best of luck and looking forward to updates.

Archived