West Croydon - 80s/90s Network SouthEast

Pete 75C

I wonder if the Croydon MRS's Tramlink diorama will be there?

http://www.croydonmrs.org.uk/Layouts/tramlink.html

Also, John Clarke's model of West Croydon would fit the bill nicely too.

https://sed30.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/sunp0016.jpg

http://sed30.com/2014/10/08/croydon-model-railway-society-exhibition/

• RMweb Gold

Haven't been on here for a bit Pete, looking awesome the track colour is superb.

I must get mine up and running, haven't really had the energy to do to much of late

I must get mine up and running, haven't really had the energy to do to much of late

Do so, Russ. It is a nice distraction. Either that or get yourself on holiday somewhere!

Any chance of an overall shot of the layout progress to date?

Sorry it took a day or two. I had to clear all of the modelling junk off the left hand board. No matter what I did, I couldn't get an overall shot so in the end, I had to balance on top of a stepladder pushed right into the bay window! I've made a conscious decision not to spend any more money on West Croydon. That doesn't mean work won't continue... I have plenty to be getting on with scenically. I just need to resolve the space issues. The room that the layout is currently set up in is very shortly to be carpeted and then will become a bedroom. As this is the largest room in the house, I'm not entirely sure where to put it...

post-17811-0-88410300-1436956360.jpg

Looking Grand is that Pete. if only you had succumbed to the urge and done it in N...

The thought had crossed my mind Steve. I am having a little dabble in N elsewhere on RMWeb, as a distraction.

You'll have to resort to the old dickensian method of kipping, that is to stretch a length of rope across the room at about armpit level and hang across it, plenty of room for the trainset then.

I shall put that suggestion to the boss and then retire to a safe distance... In anticipation of moving into that bedroom, Louise asked me where she's going to keep her shoe collection. My suggestion of "council tip" or "charity shop" didn't go down well, and we're now the proud owners of another wardrobe... <sigh>

:jester:

• RMweb Gold

I shall put that suggestion to the boss and then retire to a safe distance... In anticipation of moving into that bedroom, Louise asked me where she's going to keep her shoe collection. My suggestion of "council tip" or "charity shop" didn't go down well, and we're now the proud owners of another wardrobe... <sigh>

:jester:

I'd have thought the answer was obvious: underneath the layout.

Zero progress on West Croydon for the last 10 days or so whilst I wrestle with the pressing issue of storage space. This old house is perilously close to hitting the market and thus all time/energy and money is being spent on finishing touches. I've lived and breathed this house renovation lark for the last couple of years and we're looking forward to making a return on the investment. Once sold, a year or so in a rented property beckons, followed by a one-way move to somewhere a little sunnier!

I've slowly woken up to the fact that creating something with a footprint of 11' x 5' (even if it is in four sections) was a bit of a folly. I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't have something recreational to do whilst the kids are immersed in their tablets viewing unsuitable YouTube content and my wife is jealously guarding the living room TV and catching up on "her" programs in the evening. To that end, I've started a little N gauge project that is very portable.

I'll keep you posted but at the moment I would seem to have two choices... storage for *possible* but unlikely future completion... or disposal. "Gutted" doesn't begin to describe it. Croydon North Street was perhaps the ideal layout for me, as it was little more than an end-to-end shelf layout and would have fitted into most homes. NSE DAZ, if you're reading this, I'd like it back please! Only joking...

If West Croydon has reached the end of the line, I've let myself down badly, as I feel this layout had true potential. We live and learn.

Pete me and lots of others know where you are coming from, we all have these big projects in our heads and try to build them without really thinking it through, l have BS which is 11' long in three sections but l cannot have it set up for long as SWMBO saying l cant get to the freezer or how long is that staying there, so l am for ever breaking it up into smaller sections, maybe l too should look at N gauge ? things look great on paper hahaha good luck mate...

• RMweb Gold

Don't give up hope just yet Pete, the rental market turns up some surprises. I have rented a few times in Norfolk (long story, beer needed) but suffice to say two of the properties which were the most suitable/affordable at the time had plenty of space for a big layout but I chose not to do it because I couldn't rely on buying a house big enough to accommodate it. The most recent was a bungalow at Lammas with a humungous workshop, garage and massive loft to choose from, all for £600 a month. It was ready for a major refurb (inheritance being rented while the family decided what to do with it) but it goes to show you may end up with something not quite what you think. I'd say, if you can, hang on till you see what you get.

Edit to say I was right. I could have built Peterborough north in the loft at the bungalow, but only ough nor would have fitted in this house!

Thanks Colin. I'll buy you that beer and listen to that long story one day...

It's not so much the rental that bothers me... wife and I have been keeping our eyes open for what's available locally. Aside from the usual space-starved modern boxes available near the school in Sheringham, the occasional character property comes along with outbuilding/garage/cellar for the same price... it's what to do with the layout after that. We won't be renting for too long and then we're off. I could keep hold of it, finish it scenically but then I'd still have to get rid. That's the problem. I'm not sure I want to finish it if I'm not doing it for me. North Street was 100% finished and luckily went to a good home for a fair price but that was smaller and more manageable. If nobody wanted to take West Croydon on, I'd be loathe to throw it in a skip... I might be better off salvaging the fiddle yard track, frog juicers and servo point motors.

Not sure mate... need to have a bit of a thunk.

Archived