Chesterton Road sidings and TMD

Midnight-Freight

I have to say, I love the look of this layout so far! I will certainly be using your technique to ballast. Did you use any special equipment to ballast or just position it hen watered down PVA glue?

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Hi,

No I just used the common  method.  Sprinkled the ballast over the tracks then used a soft paint brush to even it out between the tracks.  I then used a very small brush to remove ballast from the sleeper tops and neaten up the edges.  Sprayed it all over with water and a drop of washing up liquid then soaked it in a watered down pva mix.

• Like 1

Hi,

No I just used the common  method.  Sprinkled the ballast over the tracks then used a soft paint brush to even it out between the tracks.  I then used a very small brush to remove ballast from the sleeper tops and neaten up the edges.  Sprayed it all over with water and a drop of washing up liquid then soaked it in a watered down pva mix.

Thanks for that advice! When you say you sprayed then soaked in PVA, does that affect the rails at all? What is the purpose of spraying it all then soaking with the PVA mix?

Cheers,

James

Thanks for that advice! When you say you sprayed then soaked in PVA, does that affect the rails at all? What is the purpose of spraying it all then soaking with the PVA mix?

Cheers,

James

If you put the pva mix onto dry ballast it won't soak in so well and the ballast will clump together and you'll end up with a bit of a mess so the idea is to spray it with a fine mist of water/washing up liquid to dampen it without dislodging the ballast. I used an eye dropper to spread the pva mix over the ballast.  Although the rail tops get wet you shouldn't end up with any glue on them. 

So over the festive period I managed to get a bit of scenic work done. Still more to be added but it's getting there...  I'm kinda making it up as I go along although I have an idea in my head of what I want it to look like and it's heading in the right direction.  I definitely need to start looking into static grass to add an extra dimension.

Just the two pics which show the end board with what is some kind of ballast loading area with a rather crude road crossing. Secondly a view of the whole board with some greenery and a meandering path.

DSC_0445_zpstwrttk9f.jpg

DSC_0446_zpsovhdp95q.jpg

Edited by Midnight-Freight
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Not much been happening recently what with going back to work after the Xmas break and decorating. One thing I have done (and some viewers may want to avert their eyes) is replace the horrendous glazing on the pair of Hornby class 37's I bought a while back. Although they're no Bachmann I like them, especially as they are the weathered EWS liveried version. To say it was a fiddly job would be an understatement but worth the effort I think. I didn't do the cab side windows as this required cutting out the side pillar which I didn't fancy. I'm not sure how those buffers found their way onto the model though as i'm sure the class 37 only ever had oval buffers?

DSC_0446%202_zps3c9mfogd.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well it's been 2 months and things have ground to a halt.  Decorating the house has been dominating my time and after deciding that the layout would need a more permanent home I was going to board the loft out and keep it up there.  With my house being a relative new build I'm not convinced I won't run into issues with the ceiling sagging (or worse) if I board out some of the loft.  I'd be interested to hear what others have done.

Well it's been 2 months and things have ground to a halt.  Decorating the house has been dominating my time and after deciding that the layout would need a more permanent home I was going to board the loft out and keep it up there.  With my house being a relative new build I'm not convinced I won't run into issues with the ceiling sagging (or worse) if I board out some of the loft.  I'd be interested to hear what others have done.

My other half has recently bought a new build house and has encoutered similar problems, though with the walls. Everything is damn plasterboard so can't take weight etc. The loft area will no doubt be similar with a very thin ceiling material, but likely lots of insulation material. You can probably cross brace the ceiling to strengthen it before boarding it, might be worth googling for advice or asking in diy shops perhaps?

Forgot to add, nice progress so far. The track and ballast works well. The 58 and 37s look the part to me. Older and simpler models are great for starting with and it is a similar path I'm taking with some old Mainline/early Hornby 56s and a 92 on my desk waiting repairs/rewiring and then detailing. A Lima 50 a pair of old Mainline 42s also await me doing something with them (both the 42s being D827 Kelly naturally). I'll probably add a couple of lima 73s and a 59 or 60 to the roster as time goes on, but most of my stock will be kit-built/kit-based EMUs.

Edited by Kelly

My other half has recently bought a new build house and has encoutered similar problems, though with the walls. Everything is damn plasterboard so can't take weight etc. The loft area will no doubt be similar with a very thin ceiling material, but likely lots of insulation material. You can probably cross brace the ceiling to strengthen it before boarding it, might be worth googling for advice or asking in diy shops perhaps?

Forgot to add, nice progress so far. The track and ballast works well. The 58 and 37s look the part to me. Older and simpler models are great for starting with and it is a similar path I'm taking with some old Mainline/early Hornby 56s and a 92 on my desk waiting repairs/rewiring and then detailing. A Lima 50 a pair of old Mainline 42s also await me doing something with them (both the 42s being D827 Kelly naturally). I'll probably add a couple of lima 73s and a 59 or 60 to the roster as time goes on, but most of my stock will be kit-built/kit-based EMUs.

Yes ceiling joists don't look that substantial and no sign of any load bearing internal walls, plus lots of insulation.  Was thinking to cross-brace to spread the load and raise the floor height so as not to disturb the insulation too much. will have to keep researching.

Thanks, I do like some of the older models but would like to add some Bachmann 37's, 66 etc.

Yes ceiling joists don't look that substantial and no sign of any load bearing internal walls, plus lots of insulation.  Was thinking to cross-brace to spread the load and raise the floor height so as not to disturb the insulation too much. will have to keep researching.

Thanks, I do like some of the older models but would like to add some Bachmann 37's, 66 etc.

You can get special bolts/screw things for partition walls that can then allow heavier items to be attached. I wonder if using the joists/side/end walls might be good to help add support? though again my other half's internal walls, even seemingly between the houses are weak.

Eventually the plan will be to replace gradually with newer models in my case but to get started, older models are easier to fund etc and I feel less trepidation about taking a saw to an old lima/Hornby/mainline model than I would a newer model that cost £100-200+ potentially.

Any more updates my mate??

Unfortunately not. The layout has been stuck under my bed for the last month or so gathering dust while I decorate the house.  I've kinda reached a point where I'm not sure what to do.  It had always been my intention to have it as a portable layout but the reality of setting it all up and unpackaging all the stock makes that prohibitive. I don't have anywhere to set it up permanently so had thought to board part of the loft out and keep it there but this isn't something I'm overly happy about doing, as mentioned in my posts above.  Not sure which direction to go at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

And I'm back!!  After selling most of my bedroom furniture and replacing with two rather large chest of drawers that stretch the length of the far wall I now have a convenient place to keep the layout semi-permanently.  I gave it a good vacuum and cleaned the track and all was working fairly well. Hopefully now I can get on with things, probably starting with the TMD area which needs concreting and then it's a case of deciding whether to scratch build the depot building or use one of the off the shelf options.

A few pics, starting with the layouts new home:

DSC_0457_zpseerhmitq.jpg

Slightly under scale 360o excavator at rest with various mineral wagons in the background:

DSC_0461_zps4h8c8ker.jpg

My current collection of mostly Bachmann mea wagons along with a few Hornby coalfish and one solitary Hornby seacow sitting in the sidings with a pair of EWS 37's in the foreground:

DSC_0460_zpswyqpyxj4.jpg

I clearly also need to sort out some lighting to enable me to take some half decent pics.

More to follow soon I hope.

• Like 7

Layout looks good, nice selection of wagons too. I wish my layout was in the comfort of my bedroom, I don't think the wife would share my views..

Thanks. Haha fortunately (or unfortunately?) that's not a concern of mine at the moment. Might be a bit of a passion killer when the situation does arise though...

• 5 months later...

Oh dear, I'd almost forgotten about my thread!  The layout has been gathering dust (again) since the spring and other things have taken over so nothing has changed. Once the dark evenings are here I may be more inclined to kick things off again.

I am selling off a bit of my unweathered stock though so if anyone wants some Bachmann mfa wagons in EWS and Loadhaul black livery I have a few for sale. PM me if interested.