Chesterton Road sidings and TMD

Midnight-Freight

Crikey, how time flies! I've finally managed to make some progress that's worth showing. Most of it at the depot end where the concrete base has been laid and painted along with a few other scenic bits. At the other end where the sidings are a bit more greenery has appeared. I have just started experimenting with my homemade static grass applicator so once I am happy with the results I can start adding some grass in here and there.

DSC_0108_zpsbwvoskvb.jpg

The sidings end. I've started adding in some more scenery including the grass tufts by Peco which I think look pretty good.

DSC_0069_zpsagibtsnm.jpg

I used the method as described in Everard Junction's brilliant videos on Youtube to make the concrete area. It wasn't as daunting as I thought and has come out ok.

DSC_0105_zpsvu3n1l8s.jpg

This is how it looks now. I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out although there is still loads to do.

DSC_0106_zpsub2l5ezq.jpg

My recently acquired Bachmann class 08 in EWS livery. 

Edited by Midnight-Freight
  • Like 6

I also want to put in a small signal box based on the one in the pic below which is local to me. With nothing off the shelf I've seen that looks anything like it this will probably be my first attempt at scratch building...  It's a nice, simple structure to re-create so hopefully I can come up with something that does the original justice.

4511473_0c40f27d_zps1k8pephc.jpg

I also want to put in a small signal box based on the one in the pic below which is local to me. With nothing off the shelf I've seen that looks anything like it this will probably be my first attempt at scratch building...  It's a nice, simple structure to re-create so hopefully I can come up with something that does the original justice.

4511473_0c40f27d_zps1k8pephc.jpg

That Offord crossing?

• Like 1

Crikey, how time flies! I've finally managed to make some progress that's worth showing. Most of it at the depot end where the concrete base has been laid and painted along with a few other scenic bits. At the other end where the sidings are a bit more greenery has appeared. I have just started experimenting with my homemade static grass applicator so once I am happy with the results I can start adding some grass in here and there.

DSC_0108_zpsbwvoskvb.jpg

The sidings end. I've started adding in some more scenery including the grass tufts by Peco which I think look pretty good.

DSC_0069_zpsagibtsnm.jpg

I used the method as described in Everard Junction's brilliant videos on Youtube to make the concrete area. It wasn't as daunting as I thought and has come out ok.

DSC_0105_zpsvu3n1l8s.jpg

This is how it looks now. I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out although there is still loads to do.

DSC_0106_zpsub2l5ezq.jpg

My recently acquired Bachmann class 08 in EWS livery. 

Very impressive work on your sidings, well done.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Wow it has been a long time!  I really haven't done much in the last 6 months or more. It was all becoming a it overwhelming so I've split the layout up and will concentrate on one section at a time, starting with the end where the loco depot will be.  For the depot itself there's nothing out there that either fits or I like the look of, the closest I've found is the old Hornby hst shed, more recently available under the Gaugemaster brand but it's not long enough so I've decided to scratchbuild one. I've knocked up a rough one out of cardboard and quite like the way it looks so now I just need to look into where best to buy the materials to create a fairly modern looking building, mostly corrugated sheets. Any pointers on this would be great...post-25926-0-75671600-1516309687_thumb.jpgpost-25926-0-17422900-1516309701_thumb.jpgpost-25926-0-46134000-1516309718_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A few more pics. Brickwork mostly done, just needs to be tidied up a bit. Try as I might it was impossible to cut the plastic stuff I bought 100% accurately but a bit of weathering and strategically placed accessories should hide any joins. Also placed a roofing panel and wall cladding in place to get an idea of how it will all come together.

post-25926-0-42442400-1517301637_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-20961000-1517301656_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-02443000-1517301687_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-95445400-1517301724_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thought I'd take the opportunity to take a few pics outside but predictably the sun disappeared before I was ready.

Shed is almost finished with just a couple of bits to add. Will then have to practise some weathering techniques to hopefully get everything to blend in together.

Really like what you have done so far mate .

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I've been able to update any progress. It's been incredibly frustrating trying to find the time and energy to do anything to the layout and when I have tried it's been rushed and not come out as I would have liked. So this evening I gave myself a couple of hours to do a few things. Mostly I had another go with my diy fly zapper static grass applicator. Up until now I had used it a couple of times with little success but with a little more patience I've got some half decent results. As can be seen at the top right of the pic showing the whole layout I now have a concreted area which I am still not 100% sure what it will be but I'm thinking I will probably use some low relief buildings as a backscene and maybe make it a Network Rail or EWS/DB yard. The TMD area is also taking shape and while not finished is reaching a point where it's a case of adding in the detail rather than major work.

This is the first time in a while I've felt positive about where things are going and hopefully with my mojo restored a little some more good progress can be made.

post-25926-0-34931000-1525288095_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-69041300-1525288153_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-23257200-1525288184_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-73687500-1525288233_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Once again weeks have past with little to report. I've been adding in some static grass and a bit more greenery here and there but nothing of any significance. It's surprising what a difference a bit of green makes though.

One thing that has changed is the era I am aiming for. Originally it was going to be set round the late 90's/early 2000's and solely EWS themed so a couple of class 66's and maybe a grimey 37 and 56 as the main traction but I've had a bit of a re-think having looked at some of the more recent varieties of rolling stock and liveries available. It will now be present day with no specific foc in mind. Mostly as as much as I feel the need for EWS/DB liveried locos I also quite fancy some GBRF and Freightliner action, and especially want to lay my hands on some Dapol MJA wagons, amongst others. This also gives me the option of having a 37 or 56 (probably Colas) lurking around without being unrealistic.

Also on the list of things to do are add some lighting above the layout so indoor pictures look a bit better as it can be a bit gloomy where the layout is currently situated. As I work at an electrical wholesalers I can lay my hands on a nice 5mtr LED strip kit for a good price. I just need to work out the best way to attach it.

Also at the back of my mind is which DCC controller to go for. I've ruled out any of the more expensive units as my needs are pretty basic with it being end to end and only a a few locos to be on it at any one time. I had ruled out the more basic ones from the likes of Hornby and Bachmann but it may be that these would be perfectly adequate for what I need. At the top of the list currently is the Roco multimaus which seems to be a good all-rounder.

Lots to think about and even more to do...

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:- I finally managed to get my hands on a Bachmann class 66 at a reasonable price. It's one of the early releases, 66200 in EWS livery and has been heavily weathered. It was advertised as being dcc ready but when it turned up it had a decoder fitted which wouldn't run on dc. Luckily a kind rmweb member helped me out with a blanking plug and it's now happily running on dc. If it turns out the decoder does work which I'll find out at a later date I will have got myself a real bargain. The only downside is it makes my pristine class 08 look a bit out of place!

I made another visit to Trains4u in Peterborough (I love this shop) and managed to refrain from any expensive purchases, restricting myself to some building materials so I can start construction of the signal box, which will be based on the one at Offord crossing near me, which is no longer in use.

Had a couple of hours to myself today so made a start on the signal box. As mentioned before it's based on one near me. Although not strictly necessary on a layout like mine it should add a bit of interest and was something I wanted to try and model. Progress is quite promising so far.

post-25926-0-15523200-1528663971_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-06344400-1528663989_thumb.jpg