Derailment - Le Tour de Sheffield

Looks like split the points, judging by the google maps aerial view of the layout and the fact that the headlights are on in this direction, but you know how people disapprove of wild speculation.

My other half asked me how it happened, but as I wasn't there and she was...

Completely off topic but I've always thought certain items of rolling stock looked like they have a sort of face, this one looks as if it's grinning mildly.

I presume this was coming in as an ECS?

Not wild speculation on my part, more an informed guess.. I did work there for three years  ;)

edit:

sorry if that sounds a bit snappy...but I rarely mention my days there compared to the Cornish ones  :P

None taken! It was a comment about speculation in general, rather than implying yours was wild... have to say in this case it does look obvious.

Completely off topic but I've always thought certain items of rolling stock looked like they have a sort of face, this one looks as if it's grinning mildly.

I presume this was coming in as an ECS?

I was trying to work it out - the news about the disruption was on the web by about 0730, and I can't see any cancelled passenger or ECS workings in realtimetrains, which shows movements using the affected platform 2 until 0545ish, so it looks like a movement to/from the sidings.

For grinning rolling stock - can't see it on this one, but try the 365s that run out of Kings Cross.

If you were driving this, what's the first thing you'd notice that something was amiss? Noise from where the bogies meet the coach, or from the track? Or the fact that the train is moving in a direction about 10 degrees off where it's pointing? Or what?

Is the nearer coach lifted/tilted a bit?

Looks like split the points, judging by the google maps aerial view of the layout and the fact that the headlights are on in this direction, but you know how people disapprove of wild speculation.

My other half asked me how it happened, but as I wasn't there and she was...

There are at least three ways that a vehicle could derail at facing points:

By 'flange climbing' at a point blade which does not fit correctly to the stock rail (possibly due to wear of the stock rail or the wear pattern of the switch blade).

By 'splitting' the points where the points are not closed properly and both wheels run along the stock rails and derail as the stock rails widen.

By 'switch reversal' where the point blades move between wheelsets so that some wheels go one way and some the other.

You need to know WHAT actually happened before you can progress to HOW and WHY it happened.

Thanks, that's a useful explanation - as a layman, I was using the term "splitting" just to mean different parts of the train taking different routes.

My other half went through again last weekend, and said there was a STOP sign on the track where the derailment had been.

Archived