Hey all, 

I'd be wondering what your thoughts are on this layout plan.  The dimensions are 22 inches by 12 inches(dictated by a spare board which I have), with the single point being controlled by wire-in-tube.  The backscene on the right of the plan will be altered to give clearance for rolling stock.

I want to use my Hornby 0F as the shunter and it fits on the sector plate and the headshunt with one wagon - which is all I want.

post-24642-0-04721100-1428425161_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

William

Have you thought about using a Peco Loco-Lift instead of the sector plate? It's a little longer-loco plus two wagons, and with more than one you can ring the changes.

Ed

I hadn't thought about that, but since I am trying to stick with what I have and not spend anything on this project, I will extend the sector plate to fit two wagons like you helpfully suggested.

Cheers,

William

• RMweb Premium

Like the plan lots, but I'd try to avoid the stepped square corners in the backscene by the bridge. My suggestion would be a gentle curve shown by the red line shown overlaid on your plan below.

post-6793-0-07356000-1428436897_thumb.jpg

The bridge may need to be repositioned, perhaps at a flatter angle to disguise the exit off scene, or perhaps advertising hoardings would do the job with the bridge in its original orientation.

I have done an updated plan which is attached below.  I found a slightly larger baseboard which is a better size: 11"X30". The plan has been altered to fit, which means a longer sector plate, head-shunt and siding.  Following the suggestion of Neil, I have made a curved back-scene and adjusted things to suit.  I won't have a road bridge but a foot bridge instead, and to make the scenic break well camouflaged I'll use overgrown bushes.  The overgrown siding will feature a little coaling stage and water crane which will take the eye away from the 'hole in the sky'.  I have a bunch of little scratch-built and kit built structures, and ScaleScenes kits which I will be using for the buildings.  I might mention that the whole point of this little micro layout exercise is to use up parts that I have and leftovers from my other layout Bishopdale.  I am not allowing myself to spend anything - so far that is working.  :sungum:

post-24642-0-16685900-1428500837_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I like this plan, but in the smaller version (yesterday) the back scene goes a bit too close the tracks going to the Y point - not enough room for the trains. The larger version (today) will make a better model.

- Richard.

I know you are doing a quayside, but can I suggest a look at  http://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-59a-march-2007/ - for a variation : 3rd Layout down "Maldon Market Hill"

Thanks, Shortliner, for your suggestion.  That does indeed look like a very interesting spin on my plan, but I think I will stick with a yard, if not quay-side idea.  I think I would prefer only freight on this little layout.

I like this plan, but in the smaller version (yesterday) the back scene goes a bit too close the tracks going to the Y point - not enough room for the trains. The larger version (today) will make a better model.

- Richard.

That was something which I found out this morning as I was shuffling mock-ups around.  I appreciate your encouraging comments, Richard. :)

Cheers,

William

• 3 weeks later...

here is my idea using my inset track system. I have stretched it to 24in long, but could be reduced to 22in, or even expanded to fit in an APA box. About 10in deep.

By having the wagon turntables there is a lot of potential in shunting, possibly even using rope and capstans.

port-plan1a.jpg

Sorry this is a bit impertinent rue d'etropal, and I don't understand where that bridge is meant to be going? Is that the end of the dock there? It seems unlikely a bridge would span a working dock.

It is probably a canal side location. Water level is a bit lower than I would actually make it, unless it is tidal. Plenty of bridges cross canals. Docks in cities such as London do have bridges connecting what is in effect islands. I am thinking it could be somewhere like Manchester or London.

Having said that, I know of small harbours on rivers with bridges across said river.

What about the bridge being a loader for bulk items? Conveyor belt hidden inside and a walkway up one side. with a drop shute over the water.

Chris Nevards' Cement Quay had a small Cement loading shute on it.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

Yes, I get it if it's a canal quay-side.

I was thinking proper ocean-going docks. Probably because I've walked round Bristol and Cardiff docks recently and there aren't (m)any high level bridges. Dockside level swing bridges and things, but none at such a high level.

Sometimes it is the obvious what we miss. Take London, not the docks are, but the more central  parts . The quaysides now filled up with passenger boats were originally built for cargo boats. Many of these would be ocean going. also many smaller towns on rivers, and bridge would cross over river.

As I am actually thinking of a NW location for my version, then it will most likely be a canal. The buildings might even be taller, as many of these waterside buildings could be 5 floors or more. I am also currently thinking about suitable brickwork(bond was what some call 'garden wall', which is 3 stretches then one row of headers).

In fact I did not originally notice the quayside stopped at the bridge and just continued it along the front edge. There is probably more justification for a bridge in this case. Bridges don't come cheap, which is why many river crossing were and still are in some places ferry operated. Many bridges would have also been tolls so would have made money for the town. The bridge I have included is probably too small for this and is more likely there to link the warehouses and factories on either side of river or canal. Remember water was not just important for transport but was essential for the mills and factories. although most of the water courses were underground, therefore not visible for modelling. The sewers came later, but were possibly interlinked with older water systems.

• RMweb Premium

Like the plan lots, but I'd try to avoid the stepped square corners in the backscene by the bridge. My suggestion would be a gentle curve shown by the red line shown overlaid on your plan below.

attachicon.gifmodified plan.jpg

The bridge may need to be repositioned, perhaps at a flatter angle to disguise the exit off scene, or perhaps advertising hoardings would do the job with the bridge in its original orientation.

Also by pivoting the sector plate at the end would give you more scenery space and ease the curves on the entrance tracks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I now have the 3D printed track to start my version of this small layout. I will start a new thread soon. I am currently sorting out a source of garden wall bond brickwork, which was commonly used for NORI brick built buildings up this way. I may use one of my APA boxes to house the layout, which will give a little bit more length.

Archived