Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Why are terminus train shed roofs so high?

Del

These are the sort of things that come to mind when I can't sleep...

It's a well-known feature of major terminii that they often have a large and impressive overall roof, not just in the UK (St Pancras, Paddington, King's Cross, Liverpool Lime Street) but also abroad (Milano Centrale, Madrid Atocha for example).

Why is this, when in comparison to the size of the trains themselves?

Is it just the original builders showing off with what they can do, or does the huge area under the roof perform some other function?

Bearing in mind that these building were built in the steam era I would imagine that the smoke and steam from locos standing at platforms would be a major factor. Like you I suspect that there may also have been an a element of grand design to impress the shareholders and passengers.

Dave

A large arch is the easiest way of building a structure with the minimum of intermediate supports.  Traditional stations with low roofs would always have numerous columns holding them up, which not only looked less impressive but also might get in the way especially if the company wanted to re-model the station. 

Smoke from diesels is also a problem. The roof at Euston isn't high.

Ed

And indeed nor was the steam era roof. Quite a few examples of lower roof termini. Of course low roofs over large expanses can be quite oppressive and claustrophobic. Victorian architects cared about these things, modern architects patently don't

Victorian architects cared about these things, modern architects patently don't

The evidence suggests otherwise - all the large new(er) stations I have seen (which isn't many, I'll grant) have large roofs. The new Leeds does. And last month in Spain I saw Malaga, Sevilla and Cordoba, all of which have high roofs and looked pretty recently built.

• RMweb Premium

The evidence suggests otherwise - all the large new(er) stations I have seen (which isn't many, I'll grant) have large roofs. The new Leeds does. And last month in Spain I saw Malaga, Sevilla and Cordoba, all of which have high roofs and looked pretty recently built.

And the extension at St Pancras - not!

http://c1038.r38.cf3.rackcdn.com/group1/building3328/media/a1.jpg

Keith

• RMweb Premium

And the extension at St Pancras - not!

http://c1038.r38.cf3.rackcdn.com/group1/building3328/media/a1.jpg

Keith

Which wouldn't be a problem if the MML was electrically powered. As things stand what started out as an acceptable extension (given the constraints under which it was constructed) has taken a very dingy air. Hopefully once the wires are up to Sheffield someone will give it a proper clean up. They could also paint bits of it in the same light Blue as the Barlow train shed to create a more unified appearance.

A large arch is the easiest way of building a structure with the minimum of intermediate supports.  Traditional stations with low roofs would always have numerous columns holding them up, which not only looked less impressive but also might get in the way especially if the company wanted to re-model the station. 

Good UK example of a large station so constructed is Edinburgh Waverley, restricted in height (by 'ancient lights' law I believe) ; a rather cluttered space with restricted sight lines which is difficult to navigate as a result.

Aside from engineering considerations and the rather mundane need to dissipate smoke, I'd say a large element was the confidence of Victoria age imperialism.  These were the great cathedrals of the Industrial Revolution, grandiose monuments serving far more than their immediate function.

Take a look at what we British bequeathed the Empire - Victoria Terminus in Bombay (as was x2), the "old" station in Kuala Lumpur.  The magnificence of the overall roof was in keeping with the grandeur of the rest of the structure.

Ozymandias would have been proud.

• RMweb Premium

Which wouldn't be a problem if the MML was electrically powered. As things stand what started out as an acceptable extension (given the constraints under which it was constructed) has taken a very dingy air. Hopefully once the wires are up to Sheffield someone will give it a proper clean up. They could also paint bits of it in the same light Blue as the Barlow train shed to create a more unified appearance.

I suppose they were restricted in height so as not to cover any of the end glass screen, however i think it looks a mess.

Keith

As far as Alnwick goes it was essential to have a station that matched the grandeur of the castle.

Nothing to do with engineering requirements, pure exhibitionism.

Has to be in the running in the competition for smallest and least used station for it's size.

Bernard

Thanks for all the answers, everyone.

Why single out termini?  Think of York, Newcastle, the old New Street. Bristol Temple Meads, Carlisle, Perth, etc. all with large high roofs to allow smoke and steam to disperse.. 

Because they're the stations I'm most familiar with.

They were competing companies, out to impress the punters. If you rolled up in somewhere like Manchester, you had to show that you were as big and powerful as the neighbours - even if you weren't. If you want a comparison, look at old bank buildings in cities and major towns. Built like temples, to impress the customer.

On the other hand, if you were the only show in town in Muddlecombe-on-Slush, you might just stick up a wooden platform and a corrugated iron hut.

• RMweb Premium

On the other hand, if you were the only show in town in Muddlecombe-on-Slush, you might just stick up a wooden platform and a corrugated iron hut.

What's wrong with a GWR pagoda on a low wooden platform? :jester:

Keith

And indeed nor was the steam era roof. Quite a few examples of lower roof termini. Of course low roofs over large expanses can be quite oppressive and claustrophobic. Victorian architects cared about these things, modern architects patently don't

I would hazzard a guess that architects do - accountants don't

Archived