The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 7 and 8.1 advertising Windows 10

Danemouth

Am I the only one that actually liked and got on with WinME?

Stewart

Probably Stewart

It was awful - I went back to Windows98SE  - strewth that's fifteen years ago.

Incidentally can you still get up-to-date AV software that works on it?

Dave

I used it for a while, and found there wasn't anything wrong with it.

Then XP came out, and I've been using that ever since. It's really overdue a change to Win 7, but that needs a whole new (home-built) PC.

I'll be sticking with Win 7 as well. Ideally I'd prefer XP for my work stuff as all the software required works on it. The majority works on 7 with some tweaks but very little runs on 8 or 8.1 so the chances of me changing are as remote as me winning 2 lottery jackpots in a row

Not at all - I used ME for a long time after XP was available. I'll be sticking with Windows 8.1 - I sometimes think I'm one of the few people who actually like that!

• RMweb Premium

Win 7 for me. Too much software will need replacing for me to want to go there. If Win 10 settles down OK then I might consider a year down the road (just before the free upgrade period runs out!)

When I finish work later this year, I'll have to retain a couple of WinXP machines for backwards compatibility with old software I still use whilst there is a legal requirement to be able to access the data. For myself in the future and without having to think about the compatiblity issues I'll wait until towards the end of the 12 months free upgrade period to see what Win10 is like and how older printers, scanners, etc., are provided for. I like Win7 and it will run the old software in the XP virtual machine, and would be happy with that or even the disliked Win8. The advantage with upgrading to Win10 for me would be compatibility with future developments and improvements in security whilst banking, etc., without buying a new machine. 

• RMweb Premium

I have no intention of changing from 7; I'd still be using XP if my machines had come with that although the under the bonnet improvements to 7 are OK and most of the user interface annoyances can be removed with something like Classic Shell. I've no motivation at all to try newer versions, and the only think that's ever likely to is if they're needed to run some software I want to run.

I agree with much of that Reorte. In the past I've never upgraded a machine from the system it came with. In fact, 3 machines I bought for work were XP downgrades from Win7 machines. I really like XP, use it every day, and it would be my system of choice. That said, with Classic Shell Win7 feels very similar but is not quite as backwards compatible - which is why I still use XP for business even if some software has to run on later systems as well. Often you feel that new operating systems are like re-inventing the wheel, and then someone forgets to round off the corners.

I'll maybe have the time in retirement to see what Win10 is like and do an upgrade for the first time.

Most upgrades seem to be vanity projects for MS and their most techy customers. Rather like the raptures that accompany phone introductions from Apple et al. 7 seems to please most and is adequate just as XP was for many years.

Brian.

When Win 10 comes out - should it be all its is hyped to be -

I'll just get a new computer.

The current one can then join the increasing ever ranks of still working P.C.s with ancient and obscure operating systems

Upgrading is a hassle and computers are cheap...

And the new system will need an upgraded computer - Its the only way to go..

If I upgrade the existing one - I can guarantee the process will kill it stone dead...

I just don't trust upgrades -

Upgrades are like moving to Russia - nothing works anymore

Your comments, Bill, set out why I've never done an upgrade. I've done what you say and bought a new machine. Also, with using the machines daily for fairly critical work purposes I could not afford the time/hassle to sort out any problems. With retirement on the horizon and a couple of portables that will no longer be required for their original purpose, I might just do an upgrade on this occasion if, of course, I like what I see/read about Win10 during its first year. I will, though, take an image of the system drive before starting, and hope to go back if it all goes wrong.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for alerting me to this. I had noticed the W10 nag had appeared and was wondering how to get rid of it. Job done, automatic updates turned off (permanently), and K3035583 removed.

I often wonder what the purpose of marketeers are - all they have succeeded in doing is lowering my opinion of Microsoft.

• RMweb Premium

My laptop has just had the "register for Win 10" icon

As It doesn't commit you to actually download/use Win 10 I have gone for it.

It just says it will notify you when available

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone recommend downloading Windows 10 (on to a non-touch screen, 4 yr old laptop currently running Windows 7 quite happily)?

I've been using Windows10 for a few months, Is is still a beta, but my computer has never crashed. Almost all the programmes run as expected. I say almost because my old Corel draw 7 has white text on a white background for all menus! I have used it on three machines; a new high powered workstation, a windows surface pro tablet and at 6 year old laptop. I refuse to use Windows 8 on anything that does not have a touch screen, and while I would not say that there is much in Windows 10 I miss when using Windows 7. It is MUCH more usable without a touch screen than Windows 8.  At some point you will have to upgrade when Windows 7 support runs out, might as well do it while it is free.

• RMweb Gold

I have no intention of changing from 7; I'd still be using XP if my machines had come with that although the under the bonnet improvements to 7 are OK and most of the user interface annoyances can be removed with something like Classic Shell. I've no motivation at all to try newer versions, and the only think that's ever likely to is if they're needed to run some software I want to run.

When Win 10 comes out - should it be all its is hyped to be -

I'll just get a new computer.

The current one can then join the increasing ever ranks of still working P.C.s with ancient and obscure operating systems

Upgrading is a hassle and computers are cheap...

And the new system will need an upgraded computer - Its the only way to go..

If I upgrade the existing one - I can guarantee the process will kill it stone dead...

I just don't trust upgrades -

Upgrades are like moving to Russia - nothing works anymore

For your information I have run the upgrade on three machines: two from windows 7 to 10 and one from Windows 8.1 to 10 , two where COMPLETELY problem free, on the third I had to reinstall antivirus software, that's all, network worked, printers worked, scanners worked straight out of the box.

• RMweb Premium

I have found that after Windows updates most problems are due to manufacturers not providing driver updates for their products.

The most annoying was with a Pinnacle video capture/editor suite which had been updated, software wise, many time since I had purchased it.

When Win7 came out they offered updates only back to the version after mine, rendering mine useless on Win7!

Although the editor software itself would probably have worked on Win7 it checked for driver updates for the capture card and promptly stopped when it found Win7.

Keith

There was a John Lewis Technology catalogue free with my weekend paper - very nicely produced as with most things John Lewis. The inside back page says that John Lewis are "thrilled to be offering our customers the opportunity to upgrade their devices to Windows 10 when the software launches in July. It's an exciting new start for Windows and we believe that it'll be the best platform ever..." so it goes on.

Looks like you'll also be getting personal assistant Cortana, too. So all wonderful, right? :no:

Mal

• RMweb Premium

Put moving from XP to 7 as too much seemed incompatible but now have 8.1 and all the external devices work fine, even an old A3 scanner that has not had any updated drivers for ages.

Certain things seem to have seemless updates. With scanners as long as Twain/Twunk are OK it seems they carry on working.

It's the dedicated pieces of kit (like my aforementioned capture card) which fall down on new OS versions

Keith

Ok, I've tested my PC and get:-

"Windows 10 will work on this PC

These devicesmight not work correctly after the upgrade:

Terminal Server Keyboard Driver

Terminal ServerMouse Driver"

so that actually means windoz 10 WILL NOT work correctly on my PC.  Thanks MS

Over the years as new operating systems came out I've generally moved to them by buying new machines, and have not had any serious compatibility problems. There's nearly always been some work around or changed way of working which has enabled my/our old hardware/software to be installed and work satisfactorily. This is despite the frequently alarmist warnings that this, that, or the other wouldn't work. Sometimes a few tweaks to the way something worked have been needed. I have been concerned about many things - printers, old software, scanners, printing from DOS programs, to name but a few. All the concerns have evaporated mostly very quickly once it came to the crunch of setting up the machine.

Archived