Can I use a 16v ac supply for both point motors and handheld controller ?

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I have an H&M Clipper which provides a supply for a Gaugemaster handheld.

I also need a supply for the FY points - is it advisable to use the same supply, given that it's unlikely that both track & point motors will be in use at the same time ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Stu

You almost certainly can, the worst that would happen would be engines slowing momentarily when you throw a point. But even better would be to use a CDU for the points, assuming solenoids. The CDU, especially a transistorised one, acts a bit like a trickle charger, taking a very small current when charging, but able to deliver a hefty punch without ever taking a large current from the supply.

• RMweb Gold

A reasonable question.

The points are in the fiddle yard at the opposite end of the layout to the Operator. All the on-scene points are manually operated via Wire -in-Tube.

So I would hope that route in or out of the FY had been set before the train either approaches or leaves...

So I would hope that route in or out of the FY had been set before the train either approaches or leaves...

Indeed, especially with an end to end layout, the smaller the layout, the more important that rule becomes. If not, at an exhibition, a slight distraction - then whoops!! :sungum:

I have used a single transformer with a Gaugemaster handheld controller and Hoffmann point motors on my Winkelhof layout for the last 8 years at shows without any problems.

I am sure there have been many times when I operated points and loco at the same time when things got hectic.

In fact, on one occasion when I forgot the handheld, I used on 50 year old H&M Safety Minor to run the points from the 16vac supply and track from the controlled 12vdc via jumper leads without (significant) problems.

Tony 

Stubby,

I too don't see serious problems with using the same transformer for locos and f/y points together.

On the other hand, IF there should arise any suspicions re. reliability, why not spend a few bucks ( GBP 6.49 + P&P ) for a separate transformer, e.g. this one: item no 710482-89 = 18V, 10VA @ Conrad electronics? And combine it with a CDU?

Regards

Armin

PS: well, it's not Maplins a few minutes away… :beee:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Shepherds & Treamble need two controllers, each fed from a Clipper. I also have two seperate power supplies for the lighting rigs for each section. So with 4 mains supplies already needed I was curious as to whether I'd need another.

The point motors are simple Peco ones - a 16v kick has usually been sufficient when used previously.

I guess a longer term solution would be to build a power box ( I have a diy shed tool box already for this purpose) with dedicated outputs for controllers and a cdu output for point motors.

Following the advice above that the same supply would cause no issues, I have purchased the necessary stacked banana plugs to fit into the Clipper.

If you hear a loud bang from deepest Cornwall next weekend, you'll know it all went pear - shaped.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived