Livley Polly the elusive tank

844fan

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

11 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

If I ever build it for Herculaneum Dock I'll have to make some sort of guess about the colour, although it looks black in later photos at Monks Ferry. I had the same problem with its successor, the RH 48DS, but eventually decided it was probably in Ruston's standard green livery.

I tried a few online B/W to color converters and they for no explanation show her in a rusty Amber. Granted another photo I tried which to my eye is a Southern Livery like the Drummond era only gets the color of the trees right. Says I need a premium version to color any of the rest of the photo. Green might suit her a Brunswick or maybe racing green?

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

WALKER'S FALSTAFF ALES

I don't think that's been about for decades!

ISTR it was seen as the "dockers drink". Still a few pub signs about in some of the pubs. A couple of old images here.

https://www.bridgemanimages.com/en-US/noartistknown/police-try-to-control-fans-in-the-streets-of-liverpool-before-the-premiere-of-the-beatles-film-a/photograph/asset/5100946

https://www.prints-online.com/social-liverpool-pub-4366206.html

Jason

What on the rails are you on about? That besides being in Liverpool has not a single connection to Polly. Also my first quote of your post was a mistake and I didn't try to mess with it but erased it as best I could. Sorry.

kitson-0-4-0-llively-pollyr-mod-1.png

32 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

he's talking about the advert on the bridge in the background

Ah I see. Well I was fully concerned with the loco, so I never even thought about that. Sorry Steamport, hope it didn't sound rude I was just flummoxed. Yeah definitely file that under flummoxed.

Anyway, that photo I posted is the best colorized picture I can get at the moment but I don't even think it was partly accurate just looks like a sepia tone filter. But I will keep looking. Any one got any thoughts? Oh right I did do another of the front view photo here is it. Blasted watermark I do what I want when the image in question is creative commons. Ownership I respect hence my not posting the photo I tried where only the trees got color. It is not for sharing per wishes of the owner and I just want to add it to my personal collection no harm intended. 

[!!! DONT RE-CONVERT ME AGAIN !!! HDconvert.com] 1790353810_kitson2721-1888pollyLOR(2).jpg.510412146340e280cbe21609fe9d8911.png

12 hours ago, 844fan said:

Ah I see. Well I was fully concerned with the loco, so I never even thought about that. Sorry Steamport, hope it didn't sound rude I was just flummoxed. Yeah definitely file that under flummoxed.

Anyway, that photo I posted is the best colorized picture I can get at the moment but I don't even think it was partly accurate just looks like a sepia tone filter. But I will keep looking. Any one got any thoughts? Oh right I did do another of the front view photo here is it. Blasted watermark I do what I want when the image in question is creative commons. Ownership I respect hence my not posting the photo I tried where only the trees got color. It is not for sharing per wishes of the owner and I just want to add it to my personal collection no harm intended. 

[!!! DONT RE-CONVERT ME AGAIN !!! HDconvert.com] 1790353810_kitson2721-1888pollyLOR(2).jpg.510412146340e280cbe21609fe9d8911.png

Don't worry about it.  🙂

If you look at the buildings at the time then I would say a coating of filth was the only colour you would see. So the "sepia toned" print probably isn't far off.

With it getting an occasional clean like the photo above.

I would say this is it's normal condition, filthy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16896988@N08/6563993025

Jason

• Like 2

On 19/04/2022 at 06:12, Steamport Southport said:

Don't worry about it.  🙂

If you look at the buildings at the time then I would say a coating of filth was the only colour you would see. So the "sepia toned" print probably isn't far off.

With it getting an occasional clean like the photo above.

I would say this is it's normal condition, filthy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16896988@N08/6563993025

Jason

I suspect it a bit like Nicotine, I know that horrid stuff can stain glass and such and give it a gross tooth rot color. She was a shunter after all and we know they weren't as clean as engines running mainline services. Still given just how much she did you would think a little more respect would allowed. 

Ah lazyness I suppose on some lines, not everyone understands a engine well. Even crews sometimes just gave them little respect, hence why boiler explosions happened often as not. 

• 2 years later...