RMweb

New 7mm scale Class 47 diesel kit from JLTRT

steve fay

Smiled at David's saying he "must learn to prefer......."

Not so, you prefer what suits YOU. I prefer metal too, but there are those out there who are afraid of shaping parts except for bending along a straight line, so they might be more tempted by a kit with resin shaped bits.

I suppose the kit manufacturer COULD provide rolled/pre-shaped parts?

I know that YOU know that not all resin is bad...some of your kits use it in places. Somewhere here I have a 9F to build and the firebox is resin, so is the bonnet top of my 08 and the cabs of my 31/0.

Horses for courses? I'd hate to have to bend up a 31/0 cab from flat sheet..........

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

If Pete does a 47 I'll definitely buy one regardless of the price - it'll make it much things much easier for me to turn it in to a 57/6 too  :mosking:

He also told me to keep on at him to make some MK3s as the current brass efforts don't have the correct end recess or windows and door drop lights, so, next time you speak to him Steve, perhaps you could ask him to produce them  :D  :D  :D

Cheers

Mike

Edited by scoobyra

I know Pete would like to produce a whole wrath of kits, he has quite a back log, so this year should be a bumper year. He is hoping that he will have pre production parts of the 47 at Bristol in a few weeks. This new 3D printing machine is superb and if you seen the D600 cabs at Reading you will know why. It takes 3D printing to another level. It's not exactly a 3D printer it's much more advanced than that, once it's fully set up it will make the production process a lot quicker.

• Like 1

It would be nice if Pete got round to making the Chowbent kits that he acquired available again, rather than swallowed up in a black hole, rather like abs in Poole.

Jim

And don't forget Karlgarin, who has the Impetus range, and has had for ten years now.

• Like 1

And don't forget Karlgarin, who has the Impetus range, and has had for ten years now.

Hi Jeff,

I was pondering (did the preliminary research and costings) producing a 3D print type kit of one of the Fowler shunters and yet as the competition, ie Ixion and Minerva are providing such cracking models RTR at VFM prices and Dapol are doing roughly the same what would have been an easy build 'bite your hand off' type kit 10 years back, wouldnt now (with competition on the impulse and 'need to have' front), I surmised, be a viable option financially or otherwise. I have put it on the back burner for now though (and not dismissed the idea completely).

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

They are planning to have some bits at Bristol, yes Reading was the hoped for date for some test prints, they are working on quite a few kits at the moment so it's a busy time.

I posted CAD images a few pages back

Edited by steve fay

They are planning to have some bits at Bristol, yes Reading was the hoped for date for some test prints, they are working on quite a few kits at the moment so it's a busy time.

I posted CAD images a few pages back

Steve

Any CAD images of the Derby Lightweight yet?

Paul R

• Like 1

When I get any new ones I will post on the news from JLTRT page. I have seen them but I haven't got copies again hopefully Bristol fingers crossed

I've posted the one I did have over on the other page again just in case I missed it

Edited by steve fay

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That looks great. My misgivings from the initial CAD looks to have been sorted to a large degree in the test cab. I really like that.

Edited by RBE

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies, if I've missed this earlier in the thread, but is there any idea of an expected release date for the JLTRT 47 kit?  

Also what are these kits like to build? I'm just starting to build my first ever pieces of O gauge track, but have never tackled a loco kit before ... given the cost I'm a little loathe to jump straight in.  Is the feeling that these kits are ok for a beginner (read total idiot!) or not?  I've done a couple of Slaters wagons kits before that seem to have worked out ok.

Rich

The JLTRT kits are mostly resin based so would be easier than an etch kit. I'm quite similar to you in that I've only built plastic wagon kits but having had a good look over the kits I feel quite confident in tackling one. I'm not to sure of the intended release date but it shouldn't be too long now.

The JLTRT kits are mostly resin based so would be easier than an etch kit. I'm quite similar to you in that I've only built plastic wagon kits but having had a good look over the kits I feel quite confident in tackling one. I'm not to sure of the intended release date but it shouldn't be too long now.

Steve -

That it has to be easier to build is a subjective opinion.  I would challenge this an automatic assumption.  I know several modellers who are more at home soldering that relying on glue.

Regards,

David Parkins

That's true David I'm speaking purely for my self, I've had the chance to really have a good look over the kits and handle the parts etc plus I've built a few JLTRT wagons. So based on that I feel they should be manageable for others that have just had plastic kit experience.

• Like 1