Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New 7mm scale Class 47 diesel kit from JLTRT

steve fay

• 4 weeks later...

Those CADs look great. Still not 100% on the front windows but i would be having black window surrounds on mine if I got one! This is doing nothing for helping me resist!! Of course I'd want serck roof vents.

Edited by RBE

• RMweb Premium

Looks superb. Keep getting an itch to try O gauge - must resist! 

Will there be any more developments of the Class 47 on show at Doncaster in a couple of weeks?

Wish JLTRT would tackle the Class 56, don't think I could resist!

Plus the Class 31. Seems unlikely Heljan will re run the 31 nor will there be a refurb 31 either?

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Gold

That's true David I'm speaking purely for my self, I've had the chance to really have a good look over the kits and handle the parts etc plus I've built a few JLTRT wagons. So based on that I feel they should be manageable for others that have just had plastic kit experience.

I don't know how the 47 will go together but 'm just wading through the 22 - it will build into something really nice but the build needs thought and planning - especially if lights are being installed. I found Brian Daniel's diesel thread very helpful as the instructions do need augmenting in my opinion.

With the 22 the glazing has to go in during the build and will not be accessible once the body is built and so will need robust gluing and careful masking during the painting for example and I'm now at the stage of working out what sub-assemblies I can get away with and what to paint when. One or two of the brass fittings do need a bit of straightening and some of the resin mouldings also do need a fair bit of work - getting the glazing to "sit" prior to gluing in the cabs - especially the side windows -  took a while. I also had to work out my own method for fitting pick ups on the non -powered bogey - I've go an ABC bogey coming for the powered end.

None of this is difficult it just needs thinking about and you do get great customer service from Laurie at JLTRT.

Chris

Edited by Gilbert

I don't know how the 47 will go together but 'm just wading through the 22 - it will build into something really nice but the build needs thought and planning - especially if lights are being installed. I found Brian Daniel's diesel thread very helpful as the instructions do need augmenting in my opinion.

With the 22 the glazing has to go in during the build and will not be accessible once the body is built and so will need robust gluing and careful masking during the painting for example and I'm now at the stage of working out what sub-assemblies I can get away with and what to paint when. One or two of the brass fittings do need a bit of straightening and some of the resin mouldings also do need a fair bit of work - getting the glazing to "sit" prior to gluing in the cabs - especially the side windows -  took a while. I also had to work out my own method for fitting pick ups on the non -powered bogey - I've go an ABC bogey coming for the powered end.

None of this is difficult it just needs thinking about and you do get great customer service from Laurie at JLTRT.

Chris

Glad my thread was of help Chris. Those side windows I found after a bit of head scratching are further in at the bottom than the top, as per the kit. I was thinking about making them level all the way down by removing a bit of the frame inside the recess but thankfully I did not as they are correct as they come. I too would really have liked a model that I could get into again once built, just in-case!

• 1 month later...

Just coming into this thread a tad late, but I've been out of action for a few months due to an unforseen hsopital stay! Back out now though and catching up on what's going on.

This 47 looks droolworthy, even from a dyed in the wool 4mm modeller. However, just a small point that I've noticed.

I've tried to have a look as best I can through this thread to see if it's been mentioned elsewhere and can't see that it has ( although apologies in advance if it has ).

Bodyside windows. They seem to be too big and in the wrong place looking at the CAD - I know we're now seeing first EP samples of bits, such as the cab, so I would hate to see them produce the bodysides with the windows as they are.

They seem to be too deep - too far down the body. They line up with the bottom of the cabside windows, which they shouldn't do and on the window nearest the camera, the whole window is too far forward - it should be further back down the bodyside. I can't tell about the window at the other end, although it is certainly the same depth as the front one, and therefore is also wrong.

Thoughts?

cheers

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi again....

With Telford just around the corner, is anyone aware of whether our wait for the JLTRT Class 47 is about to end?

If so, I'd like to know if it's going to be possible to buy the kit at the show.

I think I need to get my head around which variation I'll be buying, rather than be all a dither on the day.

Randall

I think you will be able to order on the day, basically you tell them what variant you want and they will produce it. There should be a test build on display.

I've seen lots of the 3D printed parts and it's superb

I think you will be able to order on the day, basically you tell them what variant you want and they will produce it. There should be a test build on display.

I've seen lots of the 3D printed parts and it's superb

Thanks Steve...

I haven't built any JLTRT kits as yet, and I have worries about the amount of pipework around the bogies.

I'd imagine most is from brass castings, but how much of this detail (if any) on JLTRT kits is going to need manual fabrication from brass rod?

Randall

To be honest I'm not sure, but I do know that a lot of the pipe work in the latest kits is now cast so I would imagine it wouldn't be a lot to bend up your self. I won't be seeing Pete before Telford so unless he sends me any updates we will have to wait until the show.

Bodyside windows. They seem to be too big and in the wrong place looking at the CAD - I know we're now seeing first EP samples of bits, such as the cab, so I would hate to see them produce the bodysides with the windows as they are.

They seem to be too deep - too far down the body. They line up with the bottom of the cabside windows, which they shouldn't do and on the window nearest the camera, the whole window is too far forward - it should be further back down the bodyside. I can't tell about the window at the other end, although it is certainly the same depth as the front one, and therefore is also wrong.

Thoughts?

cheers

Andy

Hello Andy all,

looking at the photo below I think that I've got to agree about the size of the windows (too deep) as to the left and right position I don't have a good enough view of the kit side to say. It also shows a nice view for the Sulzer engine been lowered in to the body.

The photo is copyright but I don't know who to. So is only used to illustrate a point.

post-8920-0-21868800-1471179901_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi again....

With Telford just around the corner, is anyone aware of whether our wait for the JLTRT Class 47 is about to end?

If so, I'd like to know if it's going to be possible to buy the kit at the show.

I think I need to get my head around which variation I'll be buying, rather than be all a dither on the day.

Randall

Hi Randall,

When I was talking to Pete at the Doncaster show, I asked him what the release plans for the 47 kit was, and his reply was defiantly out for Telford.  That was back in June of course, but unless anything has gone wrong or delayed things, he was very definite he wanted it out in September.

Rich

Hi Randall,

Talking to Pete and the guys at JLTRT - kit has been delayed slight, they expect Christmas this year.

Further details on my Telford'16 report -http://www.railblogs.co.uk/telford16 - including some pics of the new 47 prototype.

Rich

Thanks Rich....

Wow....the Blog looks spectacular...that's fast work, too.

Looks very professional.

I'm going to enjoy reading through it.

Randall

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...