Laser cutting online?

There has been a lot of discussion bout 3D printing here. I am happily using Shapways to produce the inset track I have designed, but for large flat surfaces, 3D printing can be too expensive, so I am considering laser cutting.

I would prefer not to have to buy a machine myself, but to use a service similar to what Shapeways provide for 3D printing.

I want to design some stone sett sheets to match my 3D printed inset track. Not too tricky to design.

I am also thinking about brickwork with different bonds to those produced in plastic. One bond I am interested in is known to some as French bond, or old garden wall(?) bond. It it 3 rows of stretchers followed by a row of headers, and is very common for buildings built using Accrington NORI brick, so is found in milltown brick built buildings.

Thanks for that link Bill. Looks like they might be the answer. I had thought about other companies who already produce model buildings, but based on my own experience of designing for 3D printing, the designers usually have a long list of potential designs.

The stone sett designs are to run alongside my 3D printed designs so are of more interest to me. Brickwork bonds are so numerous that anyone designing brickwork models has to be very strong , so as not to get carried away and try and do every variant.

One reason I want to try laser cutting is that the material can be porous, so will work well with my 3D printed stuff. For the brickwork, I am very tempted to use windows and doors from LCUT, its just the bond needs changing. It would be possible to create the bond by cutting up Slaters brickwork sheets, but overall I think the non plastic items have more potential.

My own experience with laser cutting at a local hackspace is that the power/speed need a lot of experimenting with - a firm that already does a lot of modellers work in cutting bricks might get you the benefit of that experience and result in a better job.

Jon

Agree with Jon here,

Having previously been involved in the design and development of a range of laser cut kits for another manufacturer, I can tell you that if anything the design is the easy part, getting it to cut as desired and repeatedly is far more difficult,

Wild Boar Fell

thanks for the comments. I don't think thee is enough discussion about laser cutting.

I thought I saw something on the Ponoko website about outsourcing work in Europe. They state in their info that that are very keen on local production .

I will have a look at others suggested. At the moment I am only doing some simple investigation, and if like Shapeways it is possible to uplad a design and find out how much it ill cost without spending any money then that is a bonus.

As I said although someone already producing brick type cutting/engraving, I suspect they are busy with their own plans. People are always suggesting new ideas, but they can be a distraction. I might be wrong, but if you are running a successful business it is better to stick to the plan, and not get distracted. I have seen too many small hobby companies being damaged(usually temporary) before they get back on track.

I am only currently interested in what is in effect engraving rather than cutting. I do know a couple of people local who have machines so it might be worth while talking to them.

Most lasers cutting with a beam width of about 0.1-0.12mm wide if your looking so using vector cutting (much like an old pen plotter) would be an option, the only issue you will have with this are the short lines as the machine is constantly stopping and starting so power setting are critical to prevent excessive cutting at the start and end of each line as the machine is accelerating from rest. The other option is to raster cut the feral you want this is much like a printer works and much slower as the head will pass the length of the job advancing 0.1mm each time, I would hazard a guess from experience that a sheet around 300x400 would take around an hour to engrave on the machine but the quality is much better. Hope that helps a little.

The brickwork that LCUT do shows it is possible. Its just a pity it is not the correct bond for my models. I am also not sure if brick size is correct, as I have been counting bricks , height wise and this seems to vary from model to model. I know where there is a building with bond and bricks I want to model, so I will measure them . It is not a high priority job for me, as I already have too many projects .

Simon,

you could also visit a Fab Lab. They are available in many cities around the globe and have reasonable prices.

They not only have 3D printers but laser cutters as well.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing using one of the recommended software tools, and eventually got it uploaded. It seems that cost is dependent on how many cuts/engravings you have which makes my stone work a bit expensive. At least i now know how it works and I can talk to some friends who might have access to a lazer cutter.

Might try some other ideas. Good thing is that you can see how much it will cost without spending any money.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived