Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

Neil's post has reminded me of another relative who served. My Mum's Grandfather was with the Grenadier Guards in the Crimea and was awarded the Crimea Medal with 3 clasps. Alma, Inkerman and Sevastopol. He was also awarded the Turkish Crimea Medal.

He was wounded at Inkerman. He suffered a severe gunshot wound to his right foot and ankle which meant that he had to have his right leg amputated. During his hospitalisation he was cared for by Florence Nightingale and ended up having a wooden leg which, no matter how damaged it became, he refused to get a new one. When he died the wooden leg was riddled with woodworm

• Like 7

I don't know if it has been just me or maybe railway modellers in general, through clubs and such-like but I made friends with a number of older (sometimes much older) gents and some of them had the most fascinating stories to tell.

There was a friend of my dad's who drank in his local and had been a Spitfire pilot during the war, sadly I can't remember too much about him except that his face, neck and hands were a mass of scar tissue, having been burnt in the cockpit. A really nice chap though!

Then there was Alistair (?????) who was a sergeant and fought his way onto the beaches on D day and through until the end. Not only had he some cracking war stories but post war life was amazing too, he had a hand in developing "Blue Steel" and had built several large scale ship models which were superb.

Then there was Glenn Ablett, a decent railway modeller and musician who had once 'led' a German armoured assault in North Africa!!! Poor Glenn died on my birthday a few years ago.

The really sad thing about older friends is they sometimes go and die, obviously they don't choose too it's just something that happens, still sad though.

Bless them all,

John.

• Like 3

Keep the votes coming!

Keep the votes coming!!

Keep the votes coming!!!

Or you may be punished for not voting by having to listen to some of my - and Andy's - AWFUL jokes....  ;)  ;)  :yes:  :yes:

Jeff

I would like to remind you Jeff that as Returning Officer at the Polling Station you are not allowed under any circumstances to canvass voters in any way, shape or form.  Failure to observe will confine you to a complete ban on gardening and solitary confinement to The Bunker, where you will undertake railway building of such magnitude that it will only be deemed completed, once all voters are satisfied that there will be no further meddling in such constitutional matters as a fair vote for lunacy. :jester:

• Like 2

To Mister Grainger.

Dear Sir,

Re your recent decision to start a new 'Lounge' may I suggest that we take a moment to reflect, and recall that it was by the kind, nay! generous consent of Andy York whom, you Sir,  approached for permission that the original 'Lunester Lounge' became such an interesting, informative and probably unique thread in the realms of railway modelling to visit. Indeed I can already see that this, it's sibling, is showing great promise that it will develop along similar lines and promote friendly camaraderie which bodes well for the future of Lunester's everywhere!

I would therefore like to propose that this thread be named -

THE ANDY Y OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE I LET MYSELF IN FOR MEMORIAL LOUNGE

Regards,    

Yours Sincerely

William, (Commandant, 33rd Brownies SAS, Morecambe Troop)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

“Draylon Lounge"

“The Lounge of Tomorrow!"

“The Withdrawing Room”  (lounge is so Non-U)

Best, Pete.

Then how about "Saloon,"  Pete? Is that More-U?

• RMweb Premium

I'm in Cumbria having a bit of a break. But keeping an eye!! on what you lot are up to!

Very amusing stuff!

Mick, you're correct - as Returning Officer I shouldn't be voting. With rules like that I may need to move abroad and seek (Lunester) Asylum!

Pete - Draylon Lounge? Sounds like curtains for this place!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bill,

Thank you, kind sir, for your letter. I suspect that Andy York is very happy to keep away from some of the nutters on here (myself included) and keep us penned away in our own little Lounges!

In this context, your suggested name is very appropriate, but a bit of a gobful... We shall therefore proceed with the candidates on offer....

Sincerely,

Jeff Grainger

(Senior Gobsh*te, Lunester Community)

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mick, you're correct - as Returning Officer I shouldn't be voting. With rules like that I may need to move abroad and seek (Lunester) Asylum!

As a returning officer you are perfectly entitled to vote. You are only disqualified from voting if:

1. You're not a national of a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland - I'm pretty convinced you're ok on that one having heard your accent on past video

2. You're currently in prison, unless on remand - Hmmm... not sure on that one... you say you're in Cumbria... Haverigg by any chance?

3. You have been found guilty of illegal electoral practices in the last five years - I think the previous election was fairly run, so you're ok on that one

4. You are a member of the House of Lords - As the de facto PM of Lunester Land I guess you could have elevated yourself... but that would be rather monarchist ;)

and then the big one...

5. You have been detained under certain sections of the Mental Health Act - Doesn't the favourite candidate here appear to be Lunester Asylum? But have you yet been detained?

As always... Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm in Cumbria having a bit of a break. But keeping an eye!! on what you lot are up to!

Very amusing stuff!

Pete - Draylon Lounge? Sounds like curtains for this place!!

Jeff

No need to seek Jeff. I'll get you a room ready (just need to sweep out some spiders) at the Asylum here mate.

The boys down at the wood mill could do with a hand anyway. I saw 3 switchers shunting down there yesterday (that's 2 more than usual BTW.) and am guessing your order for the timber for KL2 is almost complete.

You should be able to handle the vote from my lap top but my house being made of stucco has chicken wire in the walls and is a Faraday-cage   of sorts, so the result might get tampered with.

Another vote for the Lunester Asylum. Oh no I already did that! Might get disqualified for cheating I put that down to the slowly loosing it excuse.post-8964-0-47511800-1431449414.png

Squatch

• Like 7

Rifle.jpg

Just when I thought things couldn't get any dangerously sillier over here, this comes into my mailbox as spam.

What a purely destructive device has to do with a purely creative hobby, I can't begin to imagine. But the term "advertiser driven" comes immediately to mind.

Andy

• Like 2

It proves one thing Andy. It shows that advertising can have an effect on sales! I've had a subscription for Model Railroader magazine dating back to my US modelling days which I kept up because the articles on scratch-building, weathering, etc., are far better than the dumbed down stuff our own magazines usually serve up! That came to a stop when I received the promotional offer which prompted me to cancel my subscription together with an explanation of exactly why! In this day and age this is sheer stupidity and crass greed taking preference over common sense!

Regards

Bill

• Like 6

The really sad thing about older friends is they sometimes go and die, obviously they don't choose too it's just something that happens, still sad though.

Bless them all,

John.

Oh, bloom'n heck, you just made my day with that line. 

Being "the young one" for so long in Model Engineering, I've been to way more funerals than weddings.  Its sad, but true.  I think back on such individuals as Eric Clark (the Nome), who had served in the forestry commission in the UK during WW2 (I think he was found out as underaged), and John Crook.  The Johnny story that always gets me is about 1988, we were at Ontario Agricultural Museum (Milton, Ont), and they laid on a 2 man crosscut saw demo.  John and someone else his age (at the time, late 70's), stepped up and proceeded through the wood like they had worked together for years, and like it was a chainsaw...zip, zip.  The young whippersnappers all tied the saws into bows, and generally had NO chance against these two.   At the end of the day, he turns to Dad and myself, and says- if you mention this to Jean (his wife), I'll kill you both !.  He'd had quadruple bypass surgery when he was ~65.  (& heart problems finally got him about 10 years later).  At least I got to his 50th wedding anniversary, and his funeral.  & he is remembered...

James

rob posted a photo in the "original" Lounge, of Britannia 70030 (William Wordsworth), but since my reply has nothing to do with trains...

No, that loco's very topical to the Lake District.  Grandmum & Dad, and my mum lived in Wordsworth House ( Cockermouth ) for a period of time (mid 50's), they were the last live in residents.  I think granddad didn't like it because there was no room for a model railway...  When they moved to Deescales, there was a shed out back with radios & trains in it.  99.9% was given away (between 74-79), and I have a very small quantity that remains.

It's a lovely print too, I think.

• Like 2

... In this day and age this is sheer stupidity and crass greed taking preference over common sense!

Regards

Bill

Not quite the same subject but I was surprised yesterday when I went to buy a Duchess model off Ebay Rails of Sheffield and found I had been banned from bidding-on or buying their many offerings.

They are a 'Premium Service' seller with 99.9% good feedback.

My crime?  I had given them bad feedback when they wrapped labelled and posted my last purchase to some other random person in my part of Wellington.  Fortunately, that person opened the package, found the invoice, and at their expense delivered it to me.

Rails Ebay saw my bad feedback and asked me by Email to change it to 'good' , saying their computer made an error, and offering a 10% discount on my next purchase from them as reward. I think their service was poor, they mislabelled my purchase and sent it to the wrong address.  So I ignored their Email.

Anyway Jan bought the model and I paid for it, no problem... I don't expect their computer to screw up twice in a row.

Surprising that they ban people who criticise them?  Not really, it probably reduces extreme cases of criticism about service, or transit damage.

I can see Jeff why you and others have nothing to do with Ebay, but I was still surprised by Rails banning me .

• Like 1

Not quite the same subject but I was surprised yesterday when I went to buy a Duchess model off Ebay Rails of Sheffield and found I had been banned from bidding-on or buying their many offerings.

They are a 'Premium Service' seller with 99.9% good feedback.

My crime?  I had given them bad feedback when they wrapped labelled and posted my last purchase to some other random person in my part of Wellington.  Fortunately, that person opened the package, found the invoice, and at their expense delivered it to me.

Rails Ebay saw my bad feedback and asked me by Email to change it to 'good' , saying their computer made an error, and offering a 10% discount on my next purchase from them as reward. I think their service was poor, they mislabelled my purchase and sent it to the wrong address.  So I ignored their Email.

Anyway Jan bought the model and I paid for it, no problem... I don't expect their computer to screw up twice in a row.

Surprising that they ban people who criticise them?  Not really, it probably reduces extreme cases of criticism about service, or transit damage.

I can see Jeff why you and others have nothing to do with Ebay, but I was still surprised by Rails banning me .

It seems to me that Rails are fraudualently trying to influence their feedback which is probably against the terms and conditions of eBay.  It would be interesting to hear the views of eBay.  Or do you think that the loss of one customer against the commission eBay receives from Rails overall would not favour the customer's complaint in the eyes of eBay?.

It seems to me that Rails are fraudualently trying to influence their feedback which is probably against the terms and conditions of eBay.  It would be interesting to hear the views of eBay.  Or do you think that the loss of one customer against the commission eBay receives from Rails overall would not favour the customer's complaint in the eyes of eBay?.

The ban is certainly against the spirit of eBay; makes one question the value of the whole feedback thing. Reminds me of a time selling a book on Amazon - it was a paperback in the paperback section. The buyer said that he'd ordered a hardback. Wasn't worth him returning the book to me so refunded in full, including p+p, and let him keep the book. Still gave me bad feedback even though it was his initial mistake.

Onto happier things - could call this thread the Lunester Snug, but it may be a bit too wee.

Mal

• Like 1

Thanks for those replies, I haven't the energy for a fight with an Ebay seller, so they can do whatever they want, but I think most traders want simply a good deal, as do buyers, so I just adhere to that sentiment, and it usually works out ok.

Ebay have quite good money-back-if-not-satisfied provisions, so there isn't much risk except to your time and energy. I think Rails claim to have sold 160,000+ items via Ebay and they claim 99.9% good feedback, and they are audited by Ebay regularly, according to the blurb in their ads.

I could probably be 'un-banned' if I insisted, but it's only one manager in the shop, probably....

Thanks again.

Getting cold here. The weather is a nicer subject!  

Rob

Edited by robmcg

I've complained to ebay about them several times,

Misrepresenting adverts about their models,

Shil bidding (very serious that one),

Something else that I can't remember now.

Are ebay interested? Of course not, they don't want to harm one of their bigger earners do they? Meanwhile if the little guy does something wrong: Wham! It's like a ton of bricks hitting you!

I'll tell you something about them shall I?

They have a lot of staff, probably mainly part time and I'm sure they all use their separate accounts to bid up items against real bidders. When you could identify who was bidding against you, I watched very carefully and there was a very noticeable number of same bidders who always happened to lose out at the end. This isn't speculation or hearsay, I saw this happening and reported it, all for no response. They were thought of as crooks when they got started, now it's looks as though the younger one is though of as an entrepreneur, go figure!?!

Now, I simply ignore them and will absolutely not buy anything from them, ever!

Cheers,

John.

Morning all,

Complete change of subject to that good old British standard topic - the weather! This however affects the whole world. I came to this morning to discover that Joanna was awake early and watching BBC news 24 - a very erudite Atmospheric Scientist (whose name I missed!) was talking about the El-Nino effect on global climate. It appears that scientists in Hawaii have detected higher than normal deep ocean temperatures which are moving Eastwards fairly rapidly, and from this they are predicting a bad winter ahead. Scientists on the 'New Scientist' web site back this up, even suggesting that the effect could be worse than the last 'bad one' in 97/98. They expect the world at large to ignore their advice to clear waterways prone to flooding and to try to grow extra crops now as some parts of the globe will experience drought. If they are correct and this turns out to be a 'Super El-Nino', we are likely to suffer a very harsh winter - something to look forward to! The boffins should be able to make more accurate predictions from July.

Kind regards,

Jock.