RMweb

Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

Believe it or not, I've just got home after a curry evening with some friends, in the deep south (ie. 30 miles away) near where I used to live. Feeling stuffed now, so ET will have to wait until tomorrow evening.

Jeff

You really are awful at times Jeff! I popped in for a catch-up before taking a rare early night. Now I'm going to have to go into the kitchen and get busy. Glad I hung on to those prawns now!

Hi Guys,

The latest guitar thread has me completely lost - never really went for them and do not recognise many of the names of the instrumentalists who have sent you into spasms.  For me it was trombones, including at one stage the now obsolete 'G' which a friend told me music was the same as a Bflat tenor trombone in treble clef "just add four flats" - it worked.  The memory that comes back with that one is G&S HMS Pinafore - real fun to play.  Other than that my first 'gig' was at the Royal Festival Hall (RFH) 1955 conductor Rialton Kisch - a fantastic evening with a highlight memory of Gershwin's 'Rhapsody in Blue' augmented by 12 military trumpeters - out of this world.  Enjoyed brass banding for a number of years but just do carolling at times these days.  Favourite radio programme, not keen on the necessary adverts, is Classic FM especially soothing when driving.  Favourite symphony Beethoven's 6th (coincidentally it was being played on the radio when I was born although my memory doesn't stretch that far back although I can remember local bombing raids later); favourite composer Tchaikowsky and I also quite liked Traditional Jazz.  Spent a great evening at the Fairfield Hall in Croydon in 1965 with a number of the jazz greats; also RFH for Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald.  Just come to mind - I still have a washboard that was fun in jam sessions at traction engine rallies in the 70's early 80's!

Peter

Wouldn't worry about it Peter. We do have some points in common. The sadly-missed Richard Wright, keyboard player with Pink Floyd was also an accomplished classical and jazz trombonist besides being pretty competent with various other wind instruments!

Regards

Bill

• Like 3

Our drummer / fiddle player was the percussionist with a very well known brass band. He also taught music and drums at my old school. Three of the band were teachers. It was very interesting on long drives to gigs. Speaking of which ..

In 2003(ish) our band had a gig at a pub in Trimdon (up in Jeff country), the Bird In Hand.

Somewhere though Fishburn and in a long dip in the road the queue of cars all pulled out and passed a JCB that had been holding them up. Following the other cars, our illustrious leader pulled out. 

Said large yellow machine without warning lurched into the middle of the road, turning right without signalling.

Interesting Physics fact : An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

JCB 1 Rover 0 .. Backactor though drivers side a-post windscreen and stopped 6" short of Leader's head. Very, very lucky indeed.

Leader jumps out of car and shouts to JCB driver "any damage to yours mate?".

Young lady says "I've never been in a car crash before".

Luckily apart from some cuts to our hands, there were no injuries.

The gig went very well, the locals having tied large yellow balloons to the mic stands labelled "AIR BAG" and asking "What's LARGE, YELLOW and you can't miss?" at every opportunity.

**all names withheld to protect the vulnerable  :senile:  ©2015 Tales from the Real Asylum 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Very quiet in here today, probably because everyone has migrated to the Lounge for a good modelling chat.

So, what do we discuss next? 

And, further to one of my earlier woffles, it'll be a Canon EOS DSLR for starters....

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Do many of you actively use social media such as Facebuk and Twatter? Yes, I know that RMweb is a form of social media - and maybe it IS a Forum where us older geezers can have a whinge and moan!! (Do we EVER do that?!)

I mention it because I'm very irritated by the fuss created by groups of GCSE students because they couldn't do some of their Maths exam questions. Whinge, whinge.

Sorry kiddies, that's life....

I'll say no more - though I fancy a good rant! (And the question concerned was well within the range of material expected to be do-able for the more able end of pupil).

Ok, I'll get me coat...

Jeff

• Like 1

No Facewhatsit or tother for me either Boss, when I went to School (many years ago) we had to use fingers and toes, not calculators etc. We had to LEARN and memorise things, NOT be able to find answers on a Flip Flop in the middle of exams, and what's more there was no back chat, whinge or ARGUMENT with Teachers, they were, and still should be; a respected Breed of individuals, and only fed once a week to keep them hungry.

• RMweb Premium

I use faceache quite a lot. Mainly to have a chat with ex work colleagues (who I liked) and freinds who I do not see regularly. I am also on a few model railway groups and one professional dog walker group.

Today's chat was mainly about my sister and her partner having a Californian King Snake in their block of flats. Not a type of snake native to Plymouth. Another topic discussed is the plan to sell off the remaining parts of the Royal Mail, but I won't discuss my views about this on here.  And this was posted by my friend.

post-16423-0-24840100-1433542118.jpg

I don't use *rsebook nor do I tw*t. Leave that to the kiddiewinks I think.

Can't help with the Canons Jeff, my last ones were steam powered A1 and F1s a long time ago.

It's been an interesting afternoon in the lounge though, maybe it wiĺl stir the blood and a few of us will start emulating Andy and getting something started.

• Like 2

It's easy to complain, but sometimes we can get a really good service.

My son filled in an online application and paid for a new passport a week or so ago. He sent off his photos/birth certificate just this Monday.

Today his new pasport arrived.

Amazed.....

• Like 6

I don't use either of the social media sites. I see too many people on their smart phones when they should be working well, that is what they're being paid for).

I can still remember enough of my maths to answer that particular question without a calculator or computer. Not bad for someone who left edumacation 30+ years ago.

A photo taken this evening from the back garden

post-6953-0-83841300-1433543899_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I signed up for Farcebook and Twithead around 4 years ago to keep up with a couple of my 3D model suppliers and NASA and very quickly realised they were a total waste of space, so I just as quickly cancelled my accounts. Problem is I still get emails from them telling me I have messages in spite of constantly hitting the buttons which tells them to stop sending emails! It appears that the people who run them are every bit as stupid as the clones who use them. The spam folder takes care of them though!

Regards

Bill

PS: It was my birthday today yesterday so I've decided to treat myself. As to what all will be revealed after I've consulted Jeff as to the suitability of my selection of choices because he's mostly to blame for my decision! One thing I can tell you is that it won't measure up to his 11 inches (on which point I'm still somewhat envious). I don't think my poor old body could stand so much blood rushing south in one fell swoop anyway!

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 4

Very quiet in here today, probably because everyone has migrated to the Lounge for a good modelling chat.

So, what do we discuss next? 

And, further to one of my earlier woffles, it'll be a Canon EOS DSLR for starters....

Jeff

You won't regret that choice, Jeff.

Having said that can I ask: did you make the decision by handling one, in store?  I think the minuscule difference in image quality between Nikon and Canon is so small, only the obsessed would be able to tell.  But how they "feel" in your hands, and the logic of the controls is VERY important - you want the camera to become non existent in a way - you should not need to think about how you are using it, and then you wont miss any great photos for fumbling with knobs and buttons (oh, er, missus!).

For me, Canon logic matched my own; others will say the same of Nikon.  The truth is, both are brilliant.

So if you haven't, be sure to actually hold and play with one for a bit - just verify your choice is one that suits YOU.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox

No Facebook or Twitter for me either, Linda is on FB and she is always moaning about it or some of the posts on it and is thinking of leaving it - I don't think she will though as it is useful for when she is less mobile.

Good to see you have made a decision on the camera Jeff and Scott is right about the logic and use of it, I prefer the Canon for that reason. Mind you I also had 3 other EOS lenses from the old film version of which only one needs rechipping for auto use..

Jim

It's easy to complain, but sometimes we can get a really good service.

My son filled in an online application and paid for a new passport a week or so ago. He sent off his photos/birth certificate just this Monday.

Today his new pasport arrived.

Amazed.....

Did you Guys hear about the Chap this week who had his name spelt WRONG on his Airline ticket. He changed his name by Deed Pole to match the ticket as that was quicker and cheaper than the amount the Airline wanted to change the ticket, it cost him just £200 to change his identity.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

I don't use either of the social media sites. I see too many people on their smart phones when they should be working well, that is what they're being paid for).

I can still remember enough of my maths to answer that particular question without a calculator or computer. Not bad for someone who left edumacation 30+ years ago.

A photo taken this evening from the back garden

attachicon.gifIMG_0588a.JPG

Hey Duncan, that was MY bit of Sky over Swad, what were you doing looking at MY Sky? hhahahhahhah :no:  :no: :no:  

I signed up for Farcebook and Twithead around 4 years ago to keep up with a couple of my 3D model suppliers and NASA and very quickly realised they were a total waste of space, so I just as quickly cancelled my accounts. Problem is I still get emails from them telling me I have messages in spite of constantly hitting the buttons which tells them to stop sending emails! It appears that the people who run them are every bit as stupid as the clones who use them. The spam folder takes care of them though!

Regards

Bill

PS: It was my birthday today yesterday so I've decided to treat myself. As to what all will be revealed after I've consulted Jeff as to the suitability of my selection of choices because he's mostly to blame for my decision! One thing I can tell you is that it won't measure up to his 11 inches (on which point I'm still somewhat envious). I don't think my poor old body could stand so much blood rushing south in one fell swoop anyway!

Hi Bill, HAPPY BIRTHDAY mate.

As for getting messages, I get messages saying I have Facebook messages but I've NEVER had an account.

What has always made me smile about "social media" is the way sheeple sign up, give away all their personal details and then ... they decide it's not for them / too intrusive and close their account. At that point they realise that they can't actually delete their personal data because it belongs to Mr Gutterpress or whoever. Who did they think it belonged to? Nah, surely not.

So, Farcebook, Gurgle, Micros**t, et al - you can kiss my situpon, like Jon Snow, you know nothing.

Yours,

Theophillus Woolmer Fletcher Dipsomaniac and Bar

Purveyor of Parrot Droppings to His Majesty King Edward VII

Edited by HeeleyBridge

• RMweb Gold

What has always made me smile about "social media" is the way sheeple sign up, give away all their personal details and then ... they decide it's not for them / too intrusive and close their account. At that point they realise that they can't actually delete their personal data because it belongs to Mr Gutterpress or whoever. Who did they think it belonged to? Nah, surely not.

So, Farcebook, Gurgle, Micros**t, et al - you can kiss my situpon, like Jon Snow, you know nothing.

Yours,

Theophillus Woolmer Fletcher Dipsomaniac and Bar

Purveyor of Parrot Droppings to His Majesty King Edward VII

I joined Farcebook for one reason - to keep in touch with what was happening when RMweb  fell over (younger readers might not recall such problems).   Accordingly I used a fake (and very silly) name and showed the minimum of personal information.  I did however list my birthday as 01 April - and the amusing thing is a number of folk send me birthday congratulations around that date every year.  Seems you just can't win.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a great communicator, which is why I don't post much anywhere. Usually the conversation has moved on so far that anything I comment on is way in the past. But working in IT at a College made it sensible to experiment with Facebook. I must a dmit that abunch of us had previously even joined Myspace, so FB was a breath of fresh air. One of my more savvy younger colleagues pointed out that there was no need to give away too much information, and as far as I know all his personal info is bogus. I've not so far felt the need too do this...  Where Facebook has become useful is in keeping up with ex colleages who have migrated round the world. I have joined very few advertising schemes, (aka liking pages) on FB, and probably give away less info than those who do. It's also been useful for keeping in touch with the children through college and beyond. We did think of getting my mother on FB, but my daughter wasn't happy with her seeing what she got up to! Instead we have a family group on Google +, which is good for sharing old family pics as it talks well to Picasa. It's easier to have different interest circles on G+ too.

As  for Twitter, that doesn't appeal at all yet, so I don't use it, but I don't spend time knocking it either. One day I might find a use for it.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought my question regarding FB and T would provoke a response.

I use neither and don't feel the need to do so, but if anyone finds the service to their liking, fine.

I really do object, though, when we get to the exam season and the whinging starts. No doubt the whingers expect the exam boards to rescind the questions, which - more often than not - were perfectly valid.

Ok, I'll say no more on the subject!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Scott, I have to admit that I haven't handled the Canon. My decision was based on specification, reviews and the model I'll buy will be a good intro for the job I need. I can move onto something "better" at a later date - IF that is necessary.

The camera will principally be stuck to the back of a telescope, so the handling aspect isn't quite so important. I do take the points that you and Jim have made, and appreciate them.

Jeff

Hi Jeff and Andy and thank you for your greetings!

I've pretty well decided on a Celestron NexStar SLT Series 130 (so far!). I needed it small enough for me to move it easily when I need to, but still large enough to be useful and that one fits the bill (no pun intended!). Happily for me our local church which has a large open field attached has offered me space and access to keep it there. It's only a few minutes walk away so very handy!

Jeff:

Scott does make a very good point about handling the camera you've chosen even if it will spend its time attached to your scope! The handling and 'feel' of a camera is something most people don't think about but it really is important! One of the main reasons I chose the camera I'm using now, an Olympus E-520, is that I can attach it to my scope and handle everything from the back using its large view screen and two buttons to control everything from set up to exposure! That's something I wasn't aware of until I actually went into the shop and picked it up. For normal hand-held or tripod work I just switch back to the viewfinder. Either way, with the EOS you've chosen a superb piece of kit! (Urrrgh! Do you know how hard it is for a Nikon fan to admit that!)

Andrew:

Those emails you're getting from Facebook are most likely coming from hackers. If you click on them you'll get even more crap (usually very nasty stuff to hurt your computer) than you do on Facebook itself. Just hit the spam button and let Microsoft deal with them or better still tell your email provider to send them there automatically!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bill, that's a very good choice of telescope. Coincidentally, amazingly, I recommended a friend of mine - who only has a passing interest in astronomy - to get a NexStar 90 MAK SLT yesterday!!

The "spotter" I bought a week or so ago - mainly for brother's use (though I've hogged it) was a NexStar 5SE Maksutov-Cassegrain.

If you buy your chosen scope you'll certainly get some nice views, and pics, of heavenly bodies. And it's nice and compact and portable!

Jeff

• Like 3

Snip

'of heavenly bodies'.

Ah yes I remember those from my College days, they were what distracted me away from Astronomy and the interest waned never to return.

Never mind.

Jim

• Like 6

Bill, that's a very good choice of telescope. Coincidentally, amazingly, I recommended a friend of mine - who only has a passing interest in astronomy - to get a NexStar 90 MAK SLT yesterday!!

The "spotter" I bought a week or so ago - mainly for brother's use (though I've hogged it) was a NexStar 5SE Maksutov-Cassegrain.

If you buy your chosen scope you'll certainly get some nice views, and pics, of heavenly bodies. And it's nice and compact and portable!

Jeff

Cheers Jeff! I shall take that as a seal of approval and proceed!

A quick aside on the subject of astronomy (and Jim's 'heavenly bodies) have you heard the interview with Venetia Burney Phair, the lady who named Pluto in 1930 aged 11 years old, on the NASA NewHorizons website. Another heroine to join Alice Liddell! Our English ladies of yesteryear may have been quiet and refined but they certainly have an impact on the world don't they? I love the way she kept the brash young American interviewer reined in!

Regards

Bill.

PS: We have a young Latvian lady called Ksenia (silent K!) lives just down the road Jim who works in one of the local cafes. Now there's a heavenly body, not to mention drop-dead gorgeous! You wouldn't believe how much coffee I can drink when I'm down that way!