RMweb

Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

I didn't notice anything unusual from my location, but I'm not that far "north" when it comes to seeing regular aurorae. I've been hunting for noctilucent clouds, so I do look to the NW and NE at dusk and pre-dawn. I'll keep an eye out - though it's been very cloudy for the past week or so (last night was an exception).

Jeff

Apparently here in Oz they came a long way further up than normal - but were not visible by naked eye.  I am going for a look tonight as it is forecast cold and clear here (4C)

If you have a dark Northerly vantage point, maybe try a few 20 sec exposure shots on spec. and see if your camera captures something...

Dave, my sympathies - the CB160 was the little brother of the CB72/CB77 250 and 305 twins which dad and I converted to 350s. I did make a 200cc version of the CB160 for a youngster in Scotland and he was able to show the Triumph Tiger Cubs a clean pair of heels!

The attitude of your insurance company really is sickening when you consider what a collectors item that model has become. I wouldn't read 'Classic Bike' if I were you, as what a good condition one would fetch now might make you feel ill!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock, insurance companies weren't interested in bikes back then, or anything else other than paying out as little as possible. To them it was just an old bike. To me it was brilliant. My friend had the CB72, what a beast that was, much nicer to ride than the 'modern' CB 250.

My Dad was mates with a couple of bike dealers here in Sheffield, you may remember them too Bill Beevers (where the CB160 was taken in two halves!) and Wilf Green where Dad got his Royal Enfields in the 50s.

My last bike was finally sold about 9 years ago. I'd inherited from Dad. In 1960 or so he needed a battery for the Royal Enfield Meteor (which had a Garrard double adult sidecar). A work colleague said he had one, but Dad had to take the bike as well. Dad and friend turned up and towed said bike home behind the combo because the clutch had gone. 

The clutch was replaced and the the bike had a couple of runs then was laid up, just moved around the garage and started once a month. Over the years it got buried and was dug out again in the late seventies, after which I kept it tidy. I finally sold it to a friend who had lusted after it since we were teenagers.

What was it? A 1947 Sunbeam S7. 500cc inline twin, shaft drive, balloon tyres and all. 

1280px-Sunbeam_S7_motorcycle.jpg"Sunbeam S7 motorcycle" by Mike Hope (Sunbeam Owners Fellowship) - Sunbeam Owners Fellowship. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sunbeam_S7_motorcycle.jpg#/media/File:Sunbeam_S7_motorcycle.jpg

My photos are all real ones and I really can't be bothered with the scanner at stupid o'clock in the morning, maybe later :)

Edited by HeeleyBridge
  • Like 4

Forgot to say, the bloke wanted a £1 for the battery, bike free!

It had to go as the house needed some work and the garage and cellars needed clearing. Dad was a bit of a hoarder. My friend cleared them in exchange for 3/4 of a 1950 Sunbeam S8, half a BSA A7, my old Bultaco TSS 125 road racer and a 1977 Yahama RD 125DX (one of the first 6 in the country apparently).

Mum hadn't been able to get in the (double length) garage since Dad died in 1997.

• Like 3

Dave,

Love the old Sunbeam but you tend to forget that they handled like a five bar gate as they were designed principally for sidecar use. As I recall, the ballon type tyres were part of the suspension system!

Sounds like your friend had a bit of a result if he had the sense to hang on to the bikes for a while!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

Jock, that's very unkind.

To five bar gates, which I've had a few of :) plus a few that handled like 'our gert's old donkey' as the saying went around here.

Getting the Sunbeam off the main stand was akin to separating two drunken sumo wrestlers going hammer and tongs on a half filled water bed.

On the road it wallowed along like a somnolent hippo, tending to climb the camber under rapid ( ho hum) acceleration.

Stopping? Roll off the throttle, point it uphill and wait.

You try to tell kids today ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sometime about 65 one of our group of bikers bought a Honda (shock horror) a CB200 I think. Most of the lads could drive the Honda used to highly toquey british bikes they would just let the clutch go. At the time I had a model 50 with a sidecar so had had to learn how to handle a clutch, and could easily set off on the Honda without stalling it.

I can also remember a Honda 125 which kept pace quite well with a Triumph Trophy much to the Triumph ownwers surprise.

Don

• Like 3

Speaking of five-barred gates a mate of mine, Vinnie, once owned a Harley-Davidson 'Electra-Glide'. Sounded brilliant and superb performance! Well in a straight line! Try cornering at anything faster than a brisk walking pace and it was 'Hello Hospital!'. Trying to make them handle like British bikes was the reason behind the 'choppers' and 'hogs' ethos which swept America back in the day. Interestingly at the same time British motorcycles were being pushed aside by their Japanese counterparts!

Regards

Bill

The 'beam didn't do corners but it did them better than the neighbour's 1942 ex US army Harley (He bought that in 12 cardboard boxes and rebuilt it).

I could wrestle it around curves at a push. Like Jock said, they were really designed to pull the third wheel. It did have sidecar forks and gearbox, but never had a chair.

It had loads of power and torque though, the clutch took some getting used to being inverted levers they felt really strange.

Unlike 99% all other british bikes me and my Dad had, the 'beam didn't drip oil at all, but then it had only done about 3000 miles from new.

My Yamaha 125 was as fast as my Triumph 3TA, probably quicker off the mark too. Made my Dad jump when he first let out the clutch and it stood on the back wheel. He hadn't ridden a little bike since he had an Enfield 150 (that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding) for going to work when he came out of the army.

I'm not saying what speed he went from Scarborough to Whitby and back when he 'borrowed' my Suzuki GT 750, but he never got another go, the flippin' 'ooligan.

Happy days. Thanks for your interest chaps.

• Like 7

The same guy, Vinnie, also owned an AJS 7R 350. Now that thing could shift (and handle!). It carried the numberplate RED 10 which gave him his nickname! I only ever rode it once but, boy, did it put my Tiger Cub out of the frame!

My own personal favourite during my short biker career was my Ducati 500. Lovely machine with the typical (for the time) flashy Italian paint job! Fast and responsive, if a little 'twitchy' at the back sometimes. Not that I ever pushed it that hard being rather fond of my skin. Sad to say, it met its demise when some clown, who worked for the local bike shop, Lovelock's  where I'd left it for tuning, decided to try a fancy, racing jump start on it, fell off and watched it collide at full throttle with a nearby wall. The damage would have cost more to repair than I paid for the bike in the first place so after a lot of haggling with his boss I ended up with a nice little Mini Cooper in it's place. I've never ridden two wheels since!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

All this motorbike talk is not helping my left elbow. I have been a little busier than normal the past week and when I get tired my elbow gives me jip. It also hurts most mornings when I wake up. It makes a lovely crunchy sound when I first move it each morning. The pain is the result of a motorbike accident 23 years ago. I had a little step through Honda 90, lovely machine, well not that one, the one before was but that got nicked. It started to drop a gear or two on its own. On a dry road it would pull a wheelie, yes a Honda 90 with its front wheel up in the air at 50 mph on the A12. Simple drop the revs clonk it back up a gear or two and wave to the horrified drivers. It done it on a wet night, all I can remember I was preparing to turn right and had put the indicator on. I recall the indicator going up in the air and the next thing was a very nice lady asking me how I was.

I landed on my elbow and it fractured my humerus, seven large bits of bone had to be put back together. I had holes in my shirt, jumper, the inner jacket, and the outer jacket that lined up with a scar I have where the bone came through.

Ten days in hospital, loads of metal work in my arm and a CPM to take home. My physio, Frankie, lives in the same village as me and she still reminds me I was the first patient to have the shoulder and elbow continuous passive movement machine.

That was the last time I rode on two wheels. It doesn't matter how big the bike is when you hit that road it 'king hurts.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

All this motorbike talk is not helping my left elbow. I have been a little busier than normal the past week and when I get tired my elbow gives me jip. It also hurts most mornings when I wake up. It makes a lovely crunchy sound when I first move it each morning. The pain is the result of a motorbike accident 23 years ago. I had a little step through Honda 90, lovely machine, well not that one, the one before was but that got nicked. It started to drop a gear or two on its own. On a dry road it would pull a wheelie, yes a Honda 90 with its front wheel up in the air at 50 mph on the A12. Simple drop the revs clonk it back up a gear or two and wave to the horrified drivers. It done it on a wet night, all I can remember I was preparing to turn right and had put the indicator on. I recall the indicator going up in the air and the next thing was a very nice lady asking me how I was.

I landed on my elbow and it fractured my humerus, seven large bits of bone had to be put back together. I had holes in my shirt, jumper, the inner jacket, and the outer jacket that lined up with a scar I have where the bone came through.

Ten days in hospital, loads of metal work in my arm and a CPM to take home. My physio, Frankie, lives in the same village as me and she still reminds me I was the first patient to have the shoulder and elbow continuous passive movement machine.

That was the last time I rode on two wheels. It doesn't matter how big the bike is when you hit that road it 'king hurts.

OUCH :scared:  :scared: :scared:  :scared:  

• RMweb Premium

Andy said he'd appreciated yesterday's photo of the cheese, but couldn't see the mice.

So here's another chance, Andy. Nipped out at 11.30 to find 95% clear sky and the 5% of clouds hovering near the Moon. Managed a few pics - this one has had zero processing, except for a resize to accommodate the Forum.

1/40 s at ISO 200, Moon at altitude 10 degrees, azimuth 247 degrees (WSW):

post-13778-0-72060300-1435187669_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11

Andy said he'd appreciated yesterday's photo of the cheese, but couldn't see the mice.

So here's another chance, Andy. Nipped out at 11.30 to find 95% clear sky and the 5% of clouds hovering near the Moon. Managed a few pics - this one has had zero processing, except for a resize to accommodate the Forum.

1/40 s at ISO 200, Moon at altitude 10 degrees, azimuth 247 degrees (WSW):

attachicon.gifIMG_0115A.jpg

Jeff

Never mind the mice Jeff! Where's the Man in the Moon? I've been trying to make that out for years and I still haven't managed it!

Regards

Bill

Never mind the mice Jeff! Where's the Man in the Moon? I've been trying to make that out for years and I still haven't managed it!

Regards

Bill

I can see a photoshop on the way...

(lucky I'm at work, is all I can say!)

• RMweb Premium

Scott will undoubtedly come up with one of his (in)famous Photoshops - he'll probably have the Man in the Moon wearing a Moon-kini (SORRY)....

In the meantime, here's quite a good rendition that I nicked off Google:

Jeff

man_in_the_moon_by_pear_pear-d56txq0.jpg

• Like 8

Morning Jeff and the Gang, I'm loving all the conversation about Outer Space, although I know nothing about it I'm learning some bits and its very interesting.

I'm also fascinated by the Moon and other exploits into Space and the photos from Jeff's giant kaleidoscope are truly amazing. When I see pics in papers or on telly I know there were taken from a special Telescope, but to see what a individual can see, through an item purchased from a normal shop brings it nearer to home.  

Fantastic Guys, please keep the pics coming.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Wow.  Massive.  I just tripped up the shallow step of a shop in Bangor to do my arm in. It's still on the mend after nearly 4 years.

I gave up my pair of wheels (Bantam 125 - nice to ride, a devil to start) when I was expecting no.1 offspring and gave up the push bike when we moved to a house up a steep hill.  There are lots of cycle paths round here, now, so we treated ourselves to a pair of Bromptons - I busted the arm before I had a chance to ride it (except indoors on a trainer as part of my physio!).  Doh!  I keep saying I'll get out on it one day - I just need the confidence to give it whirl...or even think about it.  It'll come judging from my other antics which I can't mention on this thread since the subject is banned.  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Apparently here in Oz they came a long way further up than normal - but were not visible by naked eye.  I am going for a look tonight as it is forecast cold and clear here (4C)

If you have a dark Northerly vantage point, maybe try a few 20 sec exposure shots on spec. and see if your camera captures something...

I had a look out of the window to see if the Northern Lights were on display.  Now I'm not saying they were or not but shortly after midnight a thick band of black cloud had settled on the horizon which went orange-red (now was that due to the sun, reflected street lighting, or a combination of both?) and the sky went a paler blue (so was that just caused by the movement of the sun below the horizon because of the long summer days?). 

I ask the first question because this is quite normal and we do get quite dramatic sunsets. 

I ask the second question because I haven't, recently, noted the colour of the sky at this time of night.

And I haven't found any stuff on Northern Lights in this part of the world for last night on the web, either, yet, anyway.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about visibility in the UK, Polly - but as I type, there is a major magnetic storm happening, and I wish I lived a lot further south!

The prediction map has gone bright red:

post-8688-0-91157600-1435242087.jpg

I'd expect there will be some people in NZ, or even Tasmania, who will get a display from this event.

*green*

Scott

• Like 1