RMweb

Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

Just changing the topic for a moment, I've always wondered where the name "Lunester" came from.  Would I be right in surmising it had something to do with a 'Vale of Lune' etc?

You are quite right, William.

My layout Kirkby Luneside was inspired by the small town of Kirkby Stephen, on the S&C line, which I drive through each time I travel to and from my dad's. En route there is the nearby River Lune and beautiful scenery. Hence the layout - and its planned follow-up, became Kirkby Luneside.

A good friend of mine, who has posted in the Lounge many times (but not recently), suggested that since we were all a bit luny on here AND with the layout name, that the "community" should be named Lunesters (see page 103 of the KL thread). So there you have it!

Bill (Mythocentric) - quite an artist - even created a badge for us (see KL, page 107):

post-14791-0-35212000-1356753288.jpg

• Like 7

Blimey Jeff! That's a turn-up Guv! I'd forgotten about that one. Prompts me to see what I can come up with for the Asylum. I have some ideas but in order to preserve your peace of mind the White Rabbit will remain noticeably absent (That's a clue!). I'll send it along for your approval!

Stargazing stuff: One of the reasons I spend so much time on the Stone Jetty, and not always fishing. My favorite spot is halfway along the new section on the east side, past the old lighthouse. After the lights go out (around midnight) and remote from the prom, on a (surprisingly frequent) clear night the view can only described as glorious! There's even a large compass laid out on the Jetty to help with direction. From there I have Cassiopeia directly in front and above and the Milky Way soon becomes visible. Turn left and I have The Great Bear, but I think my favorite is to my right (shorewards) and that little blob of light just below the belt in the Orion constellation, which is actually a 'nursery' of 'baby' stars around a million years old (with thanks to Patrick Moore!). No wonder our distant ancestors spent so much time looking upwards and outwards. I find inspiration for my work in many places, but the best source of all comes from simply raising my eyes above the horizon!

Regards

Bill

• Like 4

Blimey Jeff! That's a turn-up Guv! I'd forgotten about that one. Prompts me to see what I can come up with for the Asylum. I have some ideas but in order to preserve your peace of mind the White Rabbit will remain noticeably absent (That's a clue!). I'll send it along for your approval!

Stargazing stuff: One of the reasons I spend so much time on the Stone Jetty, and not always fishing. My favorite spot is halfway along the new section on the east side, past the old lighthouse. After the lights go out (around midnight) and remote from the prom, on a (surprisingly frequent) clear night the view can only described as glorious! There's even a large compass laid out on the Jetty to help with direction. From there I have Cassiopeia directly in front and above and the Milky Way soon becomes visible. Turn left and I have The Great Bear, but I think my favorite is to my right (shorewards) and that little blob of light just below the belt in the Orion constellation, which is actually a 'nursery' of 'baby' stars around a million years old (with thanks to Patrick Moore!). No wonder our distant ancestors spent so much time looking upwards and outwards. I find inspiration for my work in many places, but the best source of all comes from simply raising my eyes above the horizon!

Regards

Bill

I get wet shoes when I do that. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :scared:  :scared:  :boast:  

:sungum:  :sungum:

I get wet shoes when I do that. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :scared:  :scared:  :boast:  

:sungum:  :sungum:

You are a terrible person Andrew P! Here's me waxing lyrical and you go all Bart and Fubble! :O

One of the wonders of The Asylum folks! Wax lyrical if you must, but if you wax pedantic don't be surprised if someone (who shall remain nameless) comes along and gives you a great big metaphorical wedgie! If I didn't know he was real I'd swear he was one of Terry Pratchett's finest! :fan:

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You are a terrible person Andrew P! Here's me waxing lyrical and you go all Bart and Fubble! :O

One of the wonders of The Asylum folks! Wax lyrical if you must, but if you wax pedantic don't be surprised if someone (who shall remain nameless) comes along and gives you a great big metaphorical wedgie! If I didn't know he was real I'd swear he was one of Terry Pratchett's finest! :fan:

Regards

Bill

What do you expect, Bill? We need to widen Andy's horizons.....

Then again, if I start explaining the difference between his Altitude and his Azimuth, heaven knows what might happen!!   :O  :nea:  :nea:  :O

Jeff

What do you expect, Bill? We need to widen Andy's horizons.....

Then again, if I start explaining the difference between his Altitude and his Azimuth, heaven knows what might happen!!   :O  :nea:  :nea:  :O

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, I had to hit the agree button as I don't know what the heck your talking about. Would I need to drop me trousers to get it examined?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jeff, I had to hit the agree button as I don't know what the heck your talking about. Would I need to drop me trousers to get it examined?

Tell you what, Andy. If you have full 360 degree rotation in Azimuth and can elevate (!!!) up and down through the complete 180 degrees, you're a lucky man!

I'm sure you were once the principal in those Casanova films.... Then again, that might have been Brad Pitt!

Sorry, more toilet humour....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy - me and thee are following each other round the threads like animals on heat!

Good laugh though.

Wonder if the HUMOUR will appeal to EVERYONE?  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:

Jeff

Andy - me and thee are following each other round the threads like animals on heat!

Good laugh though.

Wonder if the HUMOUR will appeal to EVERYONE:onthequiet:  :onthequiet:

Jeff

Probably not mate, anyway, its YOU chasing me, NOT the other way round.

No Jeff, I wasn't wearing a blue rosette. :nono:

However, I didn't come bottom in my ward - I split the Green vote. And of all the Independents standing for Poole Borough Council, I got the most votes of any of them.

Well done Peter, Good Man for standing up for your beliefs and principals.

Shame, but nice one mate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No Jeff, I wasn't wearing a blue rosette. :nono:

However, I didn't come bottom in my ward - I split the Green vote. And of all the Independents standing for Poole Borough Council, I got the most votes of any of them.

Commiserations! You probably offered more sense than all the other who were spouting the "party line".

So - was it Prof Fleming? If not - spill the beans...?

Jeff

One of the things I enjoyed about my military time was going to many places in the world with no light pollution and actually seeing the stars properly. It's probably one of the reasons that I have never enjoyed living in large towns or cities.

Bill. I'm looking forward to seeing the latest masterpiece

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Think more literary....

Whisper it not on this thread, but his name was carried by two different railway locos and a multiple unit.

Any ideas?

Ok - Thomas Hardy?

• RMweb Premium

One of the things I enjoyed about my military time was going to many places in the world with no light pollution and actually seeing the stars properly. It's probably one of the reasons that I have never enjoyed living in large towns or cities.

Bill. I'm looking forward to seeing the latest masterpiece

Duncan, the sad thing is that until the 1980s there wasn't SIGNIFICANT light pollution in most of the UK. Then the litigators moved in and Councils felt obliged to fit far more street lights - many of which shone most of their light UPWARDS!!

In my home town, the street lights were switched off at midnight - the views of the sky were stunning.

Never mind - that's "progress"!!

Jeff