RMweb

Opinions please - rapeseed fields

• 2 weeks later...

The other thig about oilseed rape is the date that it started to be grown in the UK in the 70's IIRC, at first down south then as the varieties changed further north.

As another commentator has said, it was grown prior to the '70s (from the 13th century) but in very small quantities, and very locally to the need for its oil. In the '70s the Common Agricultural Policy saw increased payments to farmers who were able to use it as a cash-generating break crop, hence the explosion seen then.

However, if you ever watch the film Enigma, it would seem that it was also a popular crop in the 1940s too, as the main protagonists drive through a huge field of the stuff on their way to skulk in a barn for a bit of hanky panky! :O

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I was going to suggest linseed but someone beat me to it. As I recall linseed can vary in colour from blue to a pale purple shade and IIRC has a slightly longer growing period. Another thing to remember is that the growing season varies as to where in the country your layout is set. In the south west it will be earlier but in Scotland it could be anything up to two months later.

Ooooooh!   You know that wouldn't be right  -  "mustard" try harder for accuracy.

Hey listen, with the playoff final tomorrow, I'll take anything that can help us over the finishing line. Mustard, rapeseed, fungal nail infections wee, anything yellow!

Fingers crossed for the entire Boro first team suffering an unfortunate freak accident involving flip flops & the famous Wembley escalator!

So, until the final whistle tomorrow, it's a great big 'high six' from a former flat land dweller!

On the ball city!

Happy modelling

Rob ( aka Delia Smiff's lovechild ) XX

• 2 months later...

Interesting! On my new TTe layout I intend to have a field of rapeseed and it'll be about a couple of square feet in size. Looking at my photo book of the JHMD line in Czech Republic it would seem that in April the fields are an equal mixture of green and yellow but the later ones in May would suggest mainly yellow. I was thinking of using a fairly long static grass and then spraying the top with a photo mount glue and sprinkling on yellow flock to give the effect... I also notice that these days the tractor tyres leave a bare patch whether they've been and that will have to be modelled as well...

• RMweb Premium

Interesting! On my new TTe layout I intend to have a field of rapeseed and it'll be about a couple of square feet in size. Looking at my photo book of the JHMD line in Czech Republic it would seem that in April the fields are an equal mixture of green and yellow but the later ones in May would suggest mainly yellow. I was thinking of using a fairly long static grass and then spraying the top with a photo mount glue and sprinkling on yellow flock to give the effect... I also notice that these days the tractor tyres leave a bare patch whether they've been and that will have to be modelled as well...

The tractor wheel tracks are a common feature of modern farming and are usually referred to as 'tramlines'.

• 5 months later...

Rapeseed... As I said earlier I wanted to have a rapeseed field in this one, that yellow just appeals... After a great deal of thought I decided to get some Busch Rapeseed 7184 http://www.nordbahn.net/Busch-7184-Rapsfeld(not from this guy though!). It wasn't a large area I wanted to do but I still needed two sheets. It's 6mm static grass with some yellow stuff added on top and mounted on a self adhesive backing. The self adhesive backing didn't work well so I glued it down with scenic glue. I still have to sort out the joints between the various sections, I am waiting for the glue to dry before doing that and I still have to sort out how to do the tractor "tramlines"... But it's showing promise...

DSCF5033_zpsekphscmw.jpg

DSCF5034_zpsmih4sxzm.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Besides getting the yellow right, you need to get the height right. If you try to walk through a field of the stuff, which is damn near impossible, you'll find that it comes up to head height at least, so just putting a skim of something on top of grass won't work.

According to a search I did final height is between 100 and 150cm (3ft ro 5ft), though that is the final height so it can be less earlier in the season. The Busch stuff is 7mm or thereabouts, which in TT scale is about 3ft so ok. A bit small for HO/OO though most model trees are as well! The photos I have of the fields in Czech Republic I have seen would indicate 3ft is about right for their stuff at the time I am modelling... It would be easy enough to mount the Busch mats on a false layer of card or similar to raise the height, all that would have to be done is to disguise the edges of the field, done with rough grass and small bushes. The yellow matches the photos I have, that was one reason i went for the Busch stuff rather than make my own, form a distance, which my layout is designed to be viewed from (see the Czech TTe layout thread), it looks quite smooth and fairly even...

http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/kukkakasvit/rapeseed

Archived