Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

As Jim Bowen never said, that's looking "Super, Smashin', Great"!

The pics with stock on really get the imagination going.

I was watching a vid of 3rd Rail EMUs at Euston on YouTube earlier and I saw some arcing going on.  I'd totally forgotton about the Watford DC lines!  You'll have to put some mini leds in to capture the flashes.

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers mate! I'm looking forward to adding a bit of third rail. Might even allow my 2 class 411 CEPS to run in occasionally!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to remember how far south the 4th rail came. I know it was retained north of Harrow even though the Bakerloo had long ceased going beyond there. I was told it had something to do with the track circuits (or some other element of the electrics). It was lying on the sleepers and not usable. It was certainly replaced in some of the areas that had been relaid.

I have a nagging feeling that it was present on Camden bank as well at one time but I can't remember whether it also stretched into Euston station and, if so, until when.

I'm trying to remember how far south the 4th rail came. I know it was retained north of Harrow even though the Bakerloo had long ceased going beyond there. I was told it had something to do with the track circuits (or some other element of the electrics). It was lying on the sleepers and not usable. It was certainly replaced in some of the areas that had been relaid.I have a nagging feeling that it was present on Camden bank as well at one time but I can't remember whether it also stretched into Euston station and, if so, until when.

From photos I haven't seen any 4th rail into Euston, just the third rail for services to Watford.

Good morning,

Not too much to report but I made a start last night on the next slip and managed to get the common crossings in place to either end and then threaded on some chairs to the stock rail and fixed into position. Hopefully I'll get some more done tonight.

post-10222-0-10809700-1453971874_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-99967600-1453972403_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 9

Hi Jeremy,

My first post on here but I have been following your progress, as has been said the trackwork looks superb.

Here are a few pics I took back in the mid 80s, they might be of some use.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting. The photos will certainly come in useful, thank you. That first shot is interesting of the two sleepers sandwiched in between the 85 and what looks like an 86 or 87.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Been following this thread for a while now and I have to say the skill being displayed in the track building is staggering; you do have to keep reminding yourself that this is 2mm.

This thread, along with the Millersdale and Burton builds, have changed my mind about N gauge / 2mm. My two main modelling interests are 1930 LMS (purely for the historical interest) and mid 80's to the end of BR (when I was small boy with a notebook on the south end of Preston station).  I have a small OO shelf layout in development to act as a test / photo plank with a good collection of LMS locos and stock and I had started acquiring some OO 1980's stock too. I've now decided to sell the BR stock and have taken the plunge with N for a 80s/90s vintage layout.

I have to say the detail level on the few items I've acquired is really quite something (Farish blue 47, a few Mk1s, a Dapol 26 and some bargain bin PCAs) and nothing like the 70's/80's models I remember from years ago. The running quality of the 47 and the 26 are incredible, even at dead-slow across a loosely joined set-track test loop. The draw of being able to run longer trains is a strong factor, even on a 4 metre long board.

So anyway, thanks for the inspiration and I look forward to seeing the competed Euston at a show sometime soon(ish).

Been following this thread for a while now and I have to say the skill being displayed in the track building is staggering; you do have to keep reminding yourself that this is 2mm.

This thread, along with the Millersdale and Burton builds, have changed my mind about N gauge / 2mm. My two main modelling interests are 1930 LMS (purely for the historical interest) and mid 80's to the end of BR (when I was small boy with a notebook on the south end of Preston station).  I have a small OO shelf layout in development to act as a test / photo plank with a good collection of LMS locos and stock and I had started acquiring some OO 1980's stock too. I've now decided to sell the BR stock and have taken the plunge with N for a 80s/90s vintage layout.

I have to say the detail level on the few items I've acquired is really quite something (Farish blue 47, a few Mk1s, a Dapol 26 and some bargain bin PCAs) and nothing like the 70's/80's models I remember from years ago. The running quality of the 47 and the 26 are incredible, even at dead-slow across a loosely joined set-track test loop. The draw of being able to run longer trains is a strong factor, even on a 4 metre long board.

So anyway, thanks for the inspiration and I look forward to seeing the competed Euston at a show sometime soon(ish).

Many thanks for your comments. I converted to N from 4mm about 20 years ago as I had very limited space and also wanted longer trains. I remember my first purchase which was from The Signal Box model shop in Leicester, where I picked up a Farish Prairie and a handful of Peco and Farish wagons. I have to agree with you that standards have changed since then and N gauge models have become increasingly detailed to a standard where I could say that some surpass even the level of detail of some 4mm models. I think N scale modelling is growing quicker than ever. Millersdale and Burton are excellent examples of how you can have impressive looking 2mm finescale track with a few gauging modifications, without converting stock wheel sets. Take a look at TomE's Ropley, the 2mm trackwork there is really good too and his method of weathering the track is some of the best I've seen.

I've agreed to take Euston to Railex NE this December and I hope to present something, that although will not be finished, will be working and presentable. This will be its first ever outing so I'm looking forward to showing it.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 2

I've agreed to take Euston to Railex NE this December and I hope to present something, that although will not be finished, will be working and presentable. This will be its first ever outing so I'm looking forward to showing it.

In that case, I'll try to arrange a trip over the hills in December...

• Like 1