'Like' does the latest pictures no justice Jeremy.  

This is going to be an outstanding layout.  Can you actually lift it?  I seem to remember you are building this section on a 6ft plywood board- is it braced or supported in any way?.

Colin

'Like' does the latest pictures no justice Jeremy.  

This is going to be an outstanding layout.  Can you actually lift it?  I seem to remember you are building this section on a 6ft plywood board- is it braced or supported in any way?.

Colin

Hi Colin,

The station throat board will be quite heavy once fully completed. There is some bracing under the board but currently it's only minimal. The reason I have built it this way is that I didn't want the bracing to interfere with the multitude of turnouts. So once the turnout motors are all in position, I will then strengthen with further bracing around them and it should result in a very sturdy structure. The station train shed board will be in two pieces as it is only straight tracks so no turnouts to consider.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nice work.

Big, ambitious projects like this are always hard work. You don't reach milestones very frequently but when you do, they are hugely rewarding. I doubt you will ever do something quite like this again.

My project has similarities...It is based on the next station along the line, but in 00.

Enjoy sending time with your young family. Don't be afraid to put this project on hold. You will come back to it with more enthusiasm.

Congrats Jeremy. I know how families can impact modelling as I have 3 young children (although 2 of them are now getting not so young any more).

As for using 158 bogies on the 317 power car, I did similar in 4mm scale with my 318. I tinkered a little with the Bachmann 158 bogie frames but they looked great.

Edited by RBE

I think a 91 had visited Euston on a couple of occasions in the early 90's and I've seen a photo somewhere in a magazine and on Flickr of it on test when the WCML was considering the intercity 225 sets.

Yup, it definitely happened.

CGhNce9VIAIV1YB.jpg

The set went at least as far as Carlisle.

intercity%20class%2090.jpg

The class 89 was also tested on the WCML although I am not sure it ever made it south of Crewe. Still, always Rule#1. ;)

on%20test%20Lune%20Gorge.jpg

• Like 5

Congratulations on the new baby Jeremy!

Love the 317 - top work!

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike. Looking forward to October......the sleepness nights will start again!

I'm well pleased so far with the 317, can't wait to finish it and get it running on the layout.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Nice work.

Big, ambitious projects like this are always hard work. You don't reach milestones very frequently but when you do, they are hugely rewarding. I doubt you will ever do something quite like this again.

My project has similarities...It is based on the next station along the line, but in 00.

Enjoy sending time with your young family. Don't be afraid to put this project on hold. You will come back to it with more enthusiasm.

Thank you. It's a massive project but well worth all the effort I hope.

Which station are you doing as the next largish station would be Watford Junction? Have you got a layout thread?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Congrats Jeremy. I know how families can impact modelling as I have 3 young children (although 2 of them are now getting not so young any more).

As for using 158 bogies on the 317 power car, I did similar in 4mm scale with my 318. I tinkered a little with the Bachmann 158 bogie frames but they looked great.

Thanks buddy! People keep teasing us and saying we might have twins as there are twins a few generations back in both sides of our family. Whatever happens, it will be a lovely experience.

I could have left the 150 bogies but it just wouldn't look right. the 158 ones just needed a little modification and they look the part.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Liking the progress on the stock and the 317. Congratulations on your news,two future operators for Euston?

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon. Yes, two future operators for the layout....or maybe even three.... who knows!

The rolling stock is coming along nicely now and glad I got into airbrushing as it really has enabled me to create the loco stock and liveries that I would like running on the layout.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Yup, it definitely happened.

CGhNce9VIAIV1YB.jpg

The set went at least as far as Carlisle.

intercity%20class%2090.jpg

The class 89 was also tested on the WCML although I am not sure it ever made it south of Crewe. Still, always Rule#1. ;)

on%20test%20Lune%20Gorge.jpg

Thanks for posting those photos. That 89 on that train is tempting...........added to the long list of unusual stuff to have running into Euston!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 3

Thank you. It's a massive project but well worth all the effort I hope.

Which station are you doing as the next largish station would be Watford Junction? Have you got a layout thread?

Best regards,

Jeremy

I am certain you will find it well worth the effort.

Watford Junction in 4mm? Nice, but I don't have the space.

I am modelling South Hampstead. I don't have a layout thread but maybe I should start one.

I am certain you will find it well worth the effort.

Watford Junction in 4mm? Nice, but I don't have the space.

I am modelling South Hampstead. I don't have a layout thread but maybe I should start one.

Sounds good all the same. Maybe you could consider 2mm scale then we could link up our layouts at an exhibition!

Have you a chosen period in mind?

Best regards,

Jeremy

1930s/40s, which I am working on now.

I have a 2nd set of boards for the scenic section so I can model it in early 1990s too. I always intended to do both. I was going to do this one first but took the easy path by doing LMS first because there is no OLE.

If it was not for the scale difference, it really would be ideal to link the 2 layouts together. We would just need someone to do Primrose Hill shortly before closure.

1930s/40s, which I am working on now.

I have a 2nd set of boards for the scenic section so I can model it in early 1990s too. I always intended to do both. I was going to do this one first but took the easy path by doing LMS first because there is no OLE.

If it was not for the scale difference, it really would be ideal to link the 2 layouts together. We would just need someone to do Primrose Hill shortly before closure.

Hi Pete,

Just followed your thread. I've got Primrose Hill on my Camden Shed layout. It starts here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52339-camden-shed/?p=878056 at post 97.

Jez,

excellent work as usual!

Iain

June 1993.  Intercity ran a number of 'specials' for invited guests only between Euston and places like Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow etc, using a full 91 set. 

Just remember to have a 90 ready on standby for when the 91 fails!.....   https://www.flickr.com/photos/tunnel_one/5559317260

Cheers,

Paul

would that have been planned for any reason? just the Class 90 looks a bit buffed up too.

It wouldn't have been for traction knowledge/route knowledge purposes perhaps? Presumably if the Class 91 and Mk4 set was there then it must have been passed for route clearance