Well, a scratch built 89 is tempting based on that info. I’ll pop it on the to do list!

Got some scale drawings in motive power monthly!

attachicon.gifAF0F104E-9D4F-4A95-AACE-2470575EA3D3.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi,

Perhaps for the body you could try resin moulding. Probably much easier.

Regards, Matthew

Good evening,

Day off work today and managed to make some progress in between school runs, puppy walking duties and any work emails that needed attention.

I’ve continued work on the wall and completed the sloping section of the retaining wall. A bit of a nightmare to get into position but seems to have gone in well and with a bit of filling seems to have turned out alright. It still needs some cleaning up prior to priming. Here’s a couple of photos of it in position.

post-10222-0-64547100-1527190782_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-61027900-1527190830_thumb.jpeg

I also managed to finish the transfers and nameplates on 86210 “City of Edinburgh”. It’s now ready for a final coat of matt varnish. This loco was allocated to thre Euston- Birmingham-Wolverhampton pool in 1989 so will be exclusively on this service.

post-10222-0-93065600-1527190947_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-06936200-1527190990_thumb.jpeg

A bit of a random photo - A Pendolino and buffer fitted HST DVT stand at Euston. The HST will become 43123 which actually visited Euston in 1988.

post-10222-0-05331100-1527191129_thumb.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 10

That class86s looks brilliant Jeremy. How was a typical Wolverhampton service in 1989? I am pretty sure by 1995 it was 2x mk2 1st class, a mk3 buffet car, 6x mk2 2nd class and a dvt. But going back further that 1995 it gets a bit blurry for me. I don't know when the dvt came in and when a mk1 still got used.

All the best

Dave

Hi Jeremy,

If you want to build an 89, KevPeo of this Parish scratch built one in 4mm many moons ago, and as far as I am aware he still runs it on 'Coppell'. I remember him telling me at the time, that he was going for the World record for how many sad bits of scratch detailing he could fit on one loco!

May be worth dropping him a PM for any guidelines/pitfalls etc etc

cheers

Andy

That class86s looks brilliant Jeremy. How was a typical Wolverhampton service in 1989? I am pretty sure by 1995 it was 2x mk2 1st class, a mk3 buffet car, 6x mk2 2nd class and a dvt. But going back further that 1995 it gets a bit blurry for me. I don't know when the dvt came in and when a mk1 still got used.

All the best

Dave

Hi Dave,

That's pretty much spot on for the Euston-Birmingham-Wolverhampton although there were 3 MK2 1st class and then the rest as you said. All 9 of these sets were based and maintained at Oxley. The loco fleet for this push-pull service were 86204, 86208, 86209, 86210, 86213, 86224, 86225, 86236, 86242, 86247, 86249, 86253 and 86257. I'm sure though that there were occasions where other locos from different pools would appear. I'm planning on doing 86253 "The Manchester Guardian" which was in the revised swallow livery with full yellow ends in 1989.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

If you want to build an 89, KevPeo of this Parish scratch built one in 4mm many moons ago, and as far as I am aware he still runs it on 'Coppell'. I remember him telling me at the time, that he was going for the World record for how many sad bits of scratch detailing he could fit on one loco!

May be worth dropping him a PM for any guidelines/pitfalls etc etc

cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the tip off. I'll drop him a line nearer the time. In the meantime I'd like to get some more of the layout done first and also try and finish the current locos on the workbench which are:

86210 - just needs varnishing now

86240 "Bishop Eric Treacy"

E3118 in original livery

HST DVT 43123

I'd also like to do a class 83 scratch build (for the ECS) from a Dapol 86.....I must be mad!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 3

h

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the tip off. I'll drop him a line nearer the time. In the meantime I'd like to get some more of the layout done first and also try and finish the current locos on the workbench which are:

86210 - just needs varnishing now

86240 "Bishop Eric Treacy"

E3118 in original livery

HST DVT 43123

I'd also like to do a class 83 scratch build (for the ECS) from a Dapol 86.....I must be mad!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi 

Have enjoyed following this thread from the first page, a major achievement so far and look forward to seeing it on the exhibition circuit (if I've understood things correctly)

I've modelled some of the early AC Electrics in N - despite the shorter body length in real life, the 82 and 85 had to be "freelance" versions based on the Farish 87 chassis

with modified Dapol 86 bodyshells. Just about to start tonight on one of the ECS 83's, which has a Dapol 86 bodyshell, Farish class 33 chassis

and Etched Pixels class 83 brass sides. (Etched Pixels do brass sides for classes 82-84 for the resin class 85 body kit referred to earlier in your layout thread).

Look forward to the next update on the layout.

Best regards

Peter

Peter

Hi Jeremy,

I was just wondering about the Internet and came across someone who is planning on doing n gauge class 89 bodyshells. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but he was on Facebook and he had pictures of it and they look stunning. I hope that helps.

Regards, Matthew

h

Hi 

Have enjoyed following this thread from the first page, a major achievement so far and look forward to seeing it on the exhibition circuit (if I've understood things correctly)

I've modelled some of the early AC Electrics in N - despite the shorter body length in real life, the 82 and 85 had to be "freelance" versions based on the Farish 87 chassis

with modified Dapol 86 bodyshells. Just about to start tonight on one of the ECS 83's, which has a Dapol 86 bodyshell, Farish class 33 chassis

and Etched Pixels class 83 brass sides. (Etched Pixels do brass sides for classes 82-84 for the resin class 85 body kit referred to earlier in your layout thread).

Look forward to the next update on the layout.

Best regards

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for following my thread. Do you have any photos of the class 83 sides you could post please? I hadn’t realised etches pixels did them. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I was just wondering about the Internet and came across someone who is planning on doing n gauge class 89 bodyshells. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but he was on Facebook and he had pictures of it and they look stunning. I hope that helps.

Regards, Matthew

Just found the page Matthew, thanks. The 89 does look good and I’m tempted to get in contact to enquire about one.

Best regards,

Jeremy

post-34427-0-17901600-1527281643_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for following my thread. Do you have any photos of the class 83 sides you could post please? I hadn’t realised etches pixels did them. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Class 83 (post refurbishment version) shown below. Suitably thin to go on a loco side (will need to watch for the curling up of the etch when applying, and the grilles are nicely rendered:

regards

Peter

Good evening,

Started building the first of the ramps tonight. This one is probably one of the most photographed and provides vehicular access down to platforms 2 and 3. A bit of time carefully measuring on google earth was undertaken first and the measurements duly converted to 2mmFS.

The angle of the access to the ramp over the twin tracks leading into platforms 1 and 2 was crucial so the ramp angle matched that of the prototype and arrived in the centre of platforms 2 and 3.

Here is the first sections cut from 0.5mm plastic sheet and then glued together.

post-10222-0-49109600-1527626428_thumb.jpeg

A couple of photos of the basic structure. 4mm square plastic strip were added for the horizontal supports which were measured on the prototype alongside the adjacent brick walling to get as accurate as possible thickness.

The upright supports were built from 2mm plastic channel strip glued back to back to create the H section.

post-10222-0-68963500-1527626693_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-19038000-1527626738_thumb.jpeg

Still plenty to do on the underside detailing and the ramp down to the platform will be the next bit.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

Looking really good mate. I would think that the prototype road surface was thicker than 0.5mm (75mm) though not that anyone would ever tell of course.

Hopefully I’ll get away with it! Probably use sandpaper for the road surface like you have done with Burton.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Yeah fine painted sandpaper works well for road surfaces. Don't leave it bare though or it pick up white marks as it sands your skin off every time you touch it.