I can only echo what everyone else is saying Jeremy - superb stuff.

I too have a young family, so I know the difficulties in juggling work, family and railway modelling. I'm pretty certain one day that you will have a series of professionally taken photographs to accompany an article in a well known publication!

cheers

Andy

Seeing the retaining wall in place, even pre-painting, really makes it feel like Euston. Great stuff.

I can only echo what everyone else is saying Jeremy - superb stuff.

I too have a young family, so I know the difficulties in juggling work, family and railway modelling. I'm pretty certain one day that you will have a series of professionally taken photographs to accompany an article in a well known publication!

cheers

Andy

Cheers guys for your comments. I’d love the layout to be in one of the publications one day, would be quite an achievement, that an exhibiting the layout.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeremy. 

Excellent progress on the layout!

I'll be interested to see how you finescale the 68. I've picked up two with an eye on a future project which will be 2FS. 

Tom.  

• Like 1

Hi Jeremy. 

Excellent progress on the layout!

I'll be interested to see how you finescale the 68. I've picked up two with an eye on a future project which will be 2FS. 

Tom.

Cheers Tom. I’ll be sending off the wheel sets from the 68 to be turned down to 2FS standards, and will probably do this when I receive my pendolinos. I’ll be keeping Gordon busy with all 3 pendolinos to reprofile!

What will your 2FS layout be?

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Well, torn between either Reedham or Somerlayton bridges on the Broads. Swinging (!) towards Reedham at the moment as there is more scope for future expansion to include the station area. All a long way off though, plenty to be getting on with at the moment but building up stock in preparation.

Tom.

• Like 1

Hi,

My first bit of OHLE turned up yesterday, and with a day off today, I couldn’t resist getting it out of the packet and taking a look. The etch is fantastic and really reflects the prototype well.

This particular kit is for one of the gantries that spans platforms one and two. I opted for the three track gantry as this offered me the potential to modify it to suit its location. The double track gantry wasn’t quite long enough, however the three track spans 91mm which is more than I require so I went about shortening it to suit.

After a bit of cutting and shutting, it’s now 74mm wide and is the perfect width.

A couple of photos showing the initial etch and then the mods carried out.

post-10222-0-78319400-1520618836_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-56906800-1520618893_thumb.jpeg

The main structure modified, shortened at each end and bent to shape around the bending jig.

post-10222-0-06603100-1520618951_thumb.jpeg

First section soldered together

post-10222-0-39681500-1520619049_thumb.jpeg

I’ve still got the supports to put together and these will need modifying too

More to follow soon

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 15

Looking good there Jeremy. Are you planning on putting actual wires in eventually or leaving just the posts and gantry's? I'm undecided in 2mm whether it looks better with or without!

Cetainly, whenever I see photos taken from a distance of the real thing, which would be the equivalent of viewing a layout in 2mm, you can barely see any wires, if at all.........

*Tin can.........can opener............worms everywhere!*

cheers

Andy

Looking good there Jeremy. Are you planning on putting actual wires in eventually or leaving just the posts and gantry's? I'm undecided in 2mm whether it looks better with or without!

Cetainly, whenever I see photos taken from a distance of the real thing, which would be the equivalent of viewing a layout in 2mm, you can barely see any wires, if at all.........

*Tin can.........can opener............worms everywhere!*

cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

I’m definitely going to include the wires which will most probably be made of fine wire. The pantographs on my locos will all be set to the same height and will run with pantographs just a touch below the wire, which from normal viewing distances, will look like they are touching the wire.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

Brave! It will look amazing though :)

Guitar string wire might help? We go through tons of the stuff :)

Cheers! I have considered the guitar string idea and I'll probably do the wires as one of the final things on the layout. So a bit of time before deciding.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

I’m definitely going to include the wires which will most probably be made of fine wire. The pantographs on my locos will all be set to the same height and will run with pantographs just a touch below the wire, which from normal viewing distances, will look like they are touching the wire.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy.

Have you considered black nylon monofilament for the wires? My worry with metal wire would be expansion & contraction under different temperatures leading to distortion or breakage. I think nylon would also stand up to tensioning better and be easier to repair if it gets broken. When I experimented with OHLE some years back I think the stuff I used was advertised as 'Magician's Invisible Thread'. This was white so needed painting but I've seen the same stuff in black.

post-1467-0-28943900-1520703141.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeremy.

Have you considered black nylon monofilament for the wires? My worry with metal wire would be expansion & contraction under different temperatures leading to distortion or breakage. I think nylon would also stand up to tensioning better and be easier to repair if it gets broken. When I experimented with OHLE some years back I think the stuff I used was advertised as 'Magician's Invisible Thread'. This was white so needed painting but I've seen the same stuff in black.

attachicon.gif300108.JPG

Tom.

I am normally only an admiring lurker on here but I have seen this product recommened for telgraph wire so may be worth considering.

http://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/brands/EZ-Line/EZ-Line-Rope

Some choice of thickness and colour should be available.

The issue with non metal solutions is gluing them on. The wire is a very small surface area for adhesive to fix to and you either end up with blobs of glue or the wires coming off or both. When I did outon roads OHLE I used no10 guitar strings for the contact wire with no9s as the catenary and stripped out layout wire strands for the droppers. This was all routed and tensioned as per the prototype and the pans ran along the wires. Of course that was 4mm scale. In 2mm without the pan touching I think thin wire soldered to the registration arms and the whole thing lightly tensioned with springs (which Outon was) to take up and expansion and contraction and you should be good.

Will you be doing the droppers or just the contact and catenary wires?

Edited by RBE