Yellow triangle sign

Reorte

• RMweb Premium

Travelling a bit of the way along the Buxton line yesterday I was reminded that I was going to ask about something I'd seen the previous time. Between Middlewood and Disley (IIRC), facing trains going to Buxton but on the opposite side of the line, there was a sign consisting of just an orangey-yellow triangle, on a post. There was no writing or symbol on it. It looked quite new. I'm sure that someone here knows what it means. Unfortunately I've no pictures of it and Google has drawn a blank so far.

• RMweb Premium

Could be an old mile marker, or a warning about poor rail adhesion? Cant be sure on the second one, its been a long time since I saw one.

Without seeing it I couldnt say for sure.

It looked new and modern so I doubt the first one. The second sounds logical (it's in a wooded cutting) but why on the right hand side of the track?

• RMweb Premium

could be a catch point sign?

Doesn't match the one or two pictures I've seen but I suppose it could be a newer version (although the catch points must be something of a relic if they're there). I think I'll need a picture if I'm going to find out, I'll try to remember the next time I'm headed that way (not sure when I'll be on the train there and I doubt that there's any publically accessible point I could see it from).

It was a solid triangle, I think (with an unreliable memory and only seeing it briefly) with a black border.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Gold

ive only ever seen a couple of concrete type catch point signs, one near moore (between acton grange and runcorn east) and the other aproaching hinkley from nuneaton, both are still in situ even though the points are long gone, never seen a modern one but the mention of a yellow triangle immediatly flagged up 'catch point' in my brain!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

are you sure it wasn't closer to chappel-en-le-frith?

have a look at this vid from 1984, approx 23:30 in you can see some catchpoints and an 's' sign, maybe that has been replaced with the triangle sign in the intervening 30 odd years

(of course it was a right pain having to watch that vid start to finish)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was only going as far as Whaley Bridge, so not that far. Thanks for checking the whole video though!

Looks like I'll definitely need to get a picture.

• RMweb Premium

Page 32 of the catalogue has a triangle as described with a ! in the triangle. It is a warning sign for track workers.

• RMweb Premium

I've had a quick flick though those (quick because I'm supposed to be working) and can't see it. I'm starting to think that I'm imagining things.

• RMweb Premium

No, it was much newer-looking, grey metal pole with a solid triangle, black border on it on an ordinary-looking modern sheet sign (I can't remember whether or not it was square with the triangle painted on, or the sign itself was triangular).

• RMweb Premium

No, it was much newer-looking, grey metal pole with a solid triangle, black border on it on an ordinary-looking modern sheet sign (I can't remember whether or not it was square with the triangle painted on, or the sign itself was triangular).

The mystery deepens!!

See my post # 13 above, catalogue page 32.

Page 32 of the catalogue has a triangle as described with a ! in the triangle. It is a warning sign for track workers.

Page 38 under electrical maybe.  RTE6023

post-14408-0-86539500-1431378048_thumb.jpg

Edited by yorkie_pudd

• RMweb Premium

None of those, it was an empty triangle. It's not an electrified line anyway, not that that rules out all sorts of other power cables that might be present in the area of course. Come to think of it a pylon line passes somewhere nearby but a very long way above.

On this Wikipedia page there is a helpfully explained "Triangular with black border and yellow background" sign (yep, that tells me a lot about what its purpose could be and it's talking about roads, not railways) that looks like what I remember, although I'm increasingly wondering about my memory here. Did I mention the train pulled by pink elephants that I saw coming the other way?

Your ok with the pink elephants as they`re solid hard workers.....

it`s the green/blue stripped elephants I stay clear of   :jester:

I thought it was the green/red stripped engine that was scared of elephants?