Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Great stuff, David.

Over the May Bank Holiday weekend, I drove a team of mid-30s lads from Witney up to Dumbarton. On the Saturday morning we continued to Ben Nevis then travelled to Scafell Pike and finally Snowdon. All three peaks were climbed within a single 24-hour window. I just did the 460+ miles of driving between mountains in about 10 hours. The lads did the 27 miles of climbing (nearly 10000 feet total ascent over the three peaks). Over 1000 miles driving for the weekend but a LOT of money raised for charity (and lots of tired legs!)

Dave

Edited by daifly
  • Like 7

David, I'm sure we've discussed it before but you know about the two headstone's along side the signal box for the station masters dogs!!post-5983-0-54160400-1502315021_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-24022500-1502315032_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-47890800-1502315042_thumb.jpg

Excuse the picture quality I was taking shots of my TV!! Whilst the DVD was playing

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1

David, I'm sure we've discussed it before but you know about the two headstone's along side the signal box for the station masters dogs!!attachicon.gifIMG_2109.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2110.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2111.JPG

Excuse the picture quality I was taking shots of my TV!! Whilst the DVD was playing

Hi Steve,

Yes I know about the little gravestones, but I was under the impression that they were for the station cats.

I'll have to look back through my literature as I have read about them in there somewhere.

Thanks

Jinty ;)

Been having a weeks recovery and work, but a day in the garage was spent today and I've made some progress on my WB.

I've also made a little progress on Talyllyn Junction too. I've made a start on the substructure of the platforms, and I'm going to use 1mm clear acrylic  as the base for the platforms with the plywood supports underneath. I've cut out where the station starter goes, as well as the hole in the platform support wall for the signal wires.

The acrylic will be having the edge of the platform made up of 0.020" Plastikard cut into individual scale 3' x 1' slabs and laid along the edge. Some 0.020" strip will be added underneath to thicken the edge, and a stroke of a file at the joints should give the illusion of a single slab. The rest of the platform will be painted black before fitting and then very fine black cinders (Woodland Scenics) will be laid on painted PVA  to form the tarmac.

I couldn't resist placing the tunnel commemoration sign and the signal in place (the other piece of furniture here will be a 10 mph speed restriction sign (which I have ready but not painted).

Jon's superb work on the signal really brings things alive, even with no scenery.

post-14906-0-13794800-1502827917_thumb.jpg

It will look much better when the surface is painted and the other bits done.

Jinty ;)

• Like 11

Jinty, what are you using to glue plastic edging to the acrylic? Not had much luck myself sticking stuff to acrylic glazing.

Hi 2MS,

I'm using pure MEK which I bought by the litre (Butanone is expensive) on line.

I find that the acrylic sheet needs a matting with some 600 grit before doing anything with it, or nothing sticks very well.

The Acrylic to the wood is done with Gorilla Glue, which seems to be doing ok on the test piece I did a few weeks ago. 

Expensive but you don't need a lot.

Jinty ;)

Jintyman,

Why acrylic?

1mm is not super rigid, and it's inclined to crack if abused in any way, particularly if there's a notch or other stress-raiser. I'm not sure that it's not prone to stress-corrosion cracking too, like TR7 rear bumpers when they got petrol spilt in them (though they were polycarbonate/lexan, I believe), so gluing may also be an issue.

I'd be inclined to go a bit thicker if possible, will be both stiffer and less fragile.

If you want something thin, very flat and very rigid, PCB is amazingly stiff, though getting it without copper may be a challenge.

Best

Simon

Jintyman,

Why acrylic?

1mm is not super rigid, and it's inclined to crack if abused in any way, particularly if there's a notch or other stress-raiser. I'm not sure that it's not prone to stress-corrosion cracking too, like TR7 rear bumpers when they got petrol spilt in them (though they were polycarbonate/lexan, I believe), so gluing may also be an issue.

I'd be inclined to go a bit thicker if possible, will be both stiffer and less fragile.

If you want something thin, very flat and very rigid, PCB is amazingly stiff, though getting it without copper may be a challenge.

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

The acrylic is being used because I thought it would of given the best rigidity (and I had quite a few A3 sheets of it). I have some Polypropylene sheet in 1mm as well somewhere. I wouldn't want my hard work cracking or becoming problematic, should I use that instead?

1mm is really the limit as I've backed myself into a corner with the platform uprights which were about 1.5mm too high. So rather than making a pigs ear out of the job, I decided to use 1mm plastic/acrylic fully supported underneath and then the cinders and edging flagstones, which would bring the platform surface up to the correct height.

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Premium

What about the very thin ply they use for model ships and planes? Chaz (Dock Green) uses sheets of it for all sorts. Might be worth asking him for his source and the thicknesses they do. Ply would glue very well.

Polyprop?  As Simon says...  ooooo-eeerrr.

Very difficult to stick PP using the adhesives in most modeller's toolboxes, I avoid PP wherever possible.

Thanks for the warning, I've had a change of plan....................... see below!

What about the very thin ply they use for model ships and planes? Chaz (Dock Green) uses sheets of it for all sorts. Might be worth asking him for his source and the thicknesses they do. Ply would glue very well.

Thanks for the suggestion, it probably would of been ideal but I've already ordered some plain old 0.040" Plastikard to do the job now.

Wish I could construct what you do using the stuff though.................

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the warning, I've had a change of plan....................... see below!

Thanks for the suggestion, it probably would of been ideal but I've already ordered some plain old 0.040" Plastikard to do the job now.

Wish I could construct what you do using the stuff though.................

Jinty ;)

Thanks for the compliment Jinty. What I do with the plasticard is all self taught, mostly from trial and error.

I've had the opportunity to make lots of 4mm buildings before for club and other's private projects and that's helped gain a lot of experience.

Moving up to 7mm has been a whole new experience though and I've had to rethink a lot of my 4mm methods due to the buildings being so much bigger - there are some monsters on Pencarrow. Still learning, still experimenting.

Love what you're doing on Talyllyn.

How are you getting on with the Signal Box? 

Same as everything else at the moment, SLOWLY!!!

I have got around half a day today in the garage (After my other jobs), and I'm hoping to get the first platform in place before dark!

We'll see!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Same as everything else at the moment, SLOWLY!!!

I have got around half a day today in the garage (After my other jobs), and I'm hoping to get the first platform in place before dark!

We'll see!!

Jinty ;)

I'll need a Platform to stand on in November Jint's, I fell through the thing last year, and it was ''O'' so painful, hahah :no:  :no:

Good luck with the Signal Box mate.

I'll need a Platform to stand on in November Jint's, I fell through the thing last year, and it was ''O'' so painful, hahah :no:  :no:

Good luck with the Signal Box mate.

"Well here goes ...... my 2000th post, I'd knew I'd waste it on something non modelling related like the other 99% of my drivel  :sarcastichand: "

Oh here we go Mr P, you will be here again in the Principality in November, drooling over Jinty's slice of the Brecons .........then we will be watching your threads ...... as you will be scurrying back off over the border with those cogs going round in your head with thoughts of another 7mm layout "again" ...  :onthequiet: .... don't know how you put up with all the fiddly small 4mm stuff  :O

Best rearguards

Craig.

• Like 1

"Well here goes ...... my 2000th post, I'd knew I'd waste it on something non modelling related like the other 99% of my drivel  :sarcastichand: "

Oh here we go Mr P, you will be here again in the Principality in November, drooling over Jinty's slice of the Brecons .........then we will be watching your threads ...... as you will be scurrying back off over the border with those cogs going round in your head with thoughts of another 7mm layout "again" ...  :onthequiet: .... don't know how you put up with all the fiddly small 4mm stuff  :O

Best rearguards

Craig.

Good job I'm only coming over ONCE this year then hahhaha :scared:  :scared:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

Edited by Andrew P

A lovely package arrived on my doorstep today from those nice people from Minerva.

The first of my 8750's, well packaged and extremely prompt delivery.

There is a selection of additional bits in the packet, but I thought I'd take a couple of pictures 'in the raw' so to speak before setting it on the rolling road on DC to run in both ways.

This particular one will be 9648 which was an 87A Neath loco ending her days in '64 at Llanelly.

post-14906-0-55350200-1503603766_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-45181300-1503603774_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-16614600-1503603783_thumb.jpg

I have the plates for all of my 8750's already from Narrow Planet who are doing BR (WR) Sets very reasonable (No connection to either Minerva or NP, just a very satisfied customer!).

The two Chris's have made an outstanding job of this loco, capturing the character of these hard working little locos to a tee! Not only that but it is smooth running straight from the box.

Once run in, I will give her an identity, fit vac and steam pipes, fit her with DCC sound, coal and a give her a subtle weathering.

Jinty ;)

• Like 15

Very nice indeed young Jint's they really do look a splendid job mate.

Ey up Jinty ...... Mr P is loitering with intent again .... intent on being drawn back into the world of 7mm ....... come on Andy flog of that fiffy faffy fiddly 4mm stuff  :declare: even I have to admit that little kettle is lovely  :O

Jinty that is a lovely Black err Pannier type steam thingy loco  :angel:

Best regards

Craig.