Fowler diesel loco in 4mm ?

Hallo there !

Since the end of last but one year I have that very fine 7mm-scale model by Ixion of the Fowler diesel loco.

After painting the rods, the crankshaft and the buffers housings red I am now very pleased with it.

As I intend to build a small shunting layout in 4mm-scale and I do not have a lot of knowledge of the 4mm scene and the offers of the small manufacturers in that scale I would like to ask if there is such a kit available or possibly announced.

I have noticed the two kits of rod driven diesels by High Level Kits.

They already have some character but not that of the Fowler diesel.

The announced rod driven version of the Sentinel by Hornby is noticed.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Best wishes

Dirk

I think that High Level have a 4mm kit in development for the 'Ixion' style Fowler.  Have a word with Chris to see how it is progressing.  When it appears an example may well find its way into my stash!

Judith Edge Kits have a good range as well.

Impetus Models made a kit for the 1960's 040 rod coupled Fowler. It has a resin bonnet and is a decent kit. The problem is if one comes up on ebay, the bidding will be intense!! It always is for Impetus kits 'cos they are the only way you will get a model of a particular prototype short of scratch building!

If you don't have to have a Fowler then have a look at Judith Edge kits. Very eclectic range!! Well thought out and pleasant to build.

Chris.

Impetus Models made a kit for the 1960's 040 rod coupled Fowler. It has a resin bonnet and is a decent kit. The problem is if one comes up on ebay, the bidding will be intense!! It always is for Impetus kits 'cos they are the only way you will get a model of a particular prototype short of scratch building!

If you don't have to have a Fowler then have a look at Judith Edge kits. Very eclectic range!! Well thought out and pleasant to build.

Chris.

You mean this one -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28335-impetus-fowler-diesels-different-ways-to-build-a-collectible/

Perhaps I should have sold it rather than build it!

• 3 weeks later...

That is the beast. Another half completed kit in my store!!

Get on with it!

And show us how you did it please.

Oh, and if you're in Manchester, then come to Expo EM North in September and see mine in action.

• RMweb Premium

Chris.

We are doing development work on the 150hp Fowler but it's still some way off.

Mike and Judith

We are doing development work on the 150hp Fowler but it's still some way off.

Mike and Judith

Which one is that Mike?  There's so many Fowler variants I get confused.

Not difficult to do these days....................

• RMweb Premium

That's the problem, the most popular would probably be the LMS/BR ED2-7 but none of the ones I have measured match the LMS weight diagram. I may have to settle for measuring and drawing the most complete survivor I can find (ED series all scrapped of course). I've never seen any Fowler drawings of these.

That's the problem, the most popular would probably be the LMS/BR ED2-7 but none of the ones I have measured match the LMS weight diagram. I may have to settle for measuring and drawing the most complete survivor I can find (ED series all scrapped of course). I've never seen any Fowler drawings of these.

Some of us are not so purist on prototype exactitude and will accept anything ;) as long as it looks about right and goes together.

Anyway if none can find original drawings or a surviving example to measure who is going to prove it to be wrong?

Some of us are not so purist on prototype exactitude and will accept anything ;) as long as it looks about right and goes together.

Anyway if none can find original drawings or a surviving example to measure who is going to prove it to be wrong?

You just know that as soon as the kit comes out the official drawings will come to light somewhere! :ireful:

John.

You just know that as soon as the kit comes out the official drawings will come to light somewhere! :ireful:

I can live with that remote event. Just like I can live with someone who says I've built it wrong or not in their shade of rust (as if I cared). Meanwhile some are champing at the soldering bit in anticipation of anything even remotely representative.

• 9 months later...

Hello there !

Quite a while ago I opened this thread with asking for that Fowler (or a kit of it).

Just had a look at the High Level page.

And: It is announced !

See: http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/ and then 'locos' last row right.

(I haven't managed to get the direct link...)

I must say that I am very pleased and look forward for that kit now.

Best wishes

Dirk

Hello there !

Quite a while ago I opened this thread with asking for that Fowler (or a kit of it).

Best wishes

Dirk

Chris has had this on his list for some time now but last I heard he was having a problem with a couple of aspects of the design.  Next time I see him I'll be asking the question!

• RMweb Gold

Hello there !

Best wishes

Dirk

Looks great. I do like the fact that when you click on the image of the loco, Chris has posted a photo of a drawing office with some old fashioned chaps hard at work!

Archived