Airfix Class 31 gear problem

I have bought a second hand Airfix class 31 loco which seems to have very noisy gears. I have oiled them but it still sounds very grating. Either the 2 wheel sets need changing and or the worm gears on the motor, any ideas please

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Once they become noisy - that's it....

Usually it's a vibration of the motor faceplates and magnet which transmits to and is amplified by the wheel sets and interaction to the track.

You could try tightening the screws that hold them together - but it's usually a short term fix that will need to be repeated.

Thanks

Hi,

My son has one which belonged to me when I was a child, must be nearly 40 years old, it had a DCC chip hard-wired in about a year ago.  It sounds much like what I imagine a Mirrlees engined Brush Type 2 to sound like, but without the expense of a sound decoder.  I don't ever remember it being quiet and you certainly know when he's running the thing.  But it keeps going, I think that's just how it is!

Alun

All the Airfix five pole open frame motors are a good design, based I believe on the MW005 motor once used frequently to replace the XO4 for upgraded performance. The materials used were good, but they were cheaply manufactured at a low standard of precision, which means slackly toleranced parts. 

If you happen to luck into one where shaft and bearing fit is optimal and the armature happens to be balanced, it can be very sweet running indeed and a close match to the best in can motors now supplied in most RTR. But most sounded like coffee grinders from date of purchase, and graunch on from there. They seem pretty indestructible and the magnets don't lose field strength (or they are not old enough for it to have happened yet!).

The noise is worst on the motor bogie design, which is direct drive to axle, so all the vibration is immediately transmitted efficiently to the rails, and thus to the baseboard acting as a loudspeaker diaphragm. If as I did for outdoor running you make a twin bogie drive and put the metal wheels from the unpowered bogies onto the powered axles, it had about the same noise output as my Flymo lawnmower, which is going some for such a small piece of kit. It would pull the side out of a house though, even on a wet rail. The version for the steam locos (N2, 61xx) at least has a two stage gear train, providing a little isolation.

This is a real greating noise, thinking about it the wheels are not in bearings and I guess they may have work the plastic housing away a bit. I wanted a RTR test loco for hand built track so the noise is neither here of there

• RMweb Gold

This is a real greating noise, thinking about it the wheels are not in bearings and I guess they may have work the plastic housing away a bit. I wanted a RTR test loco for hand built track so the noise is neither here of there

Hi John,

Have a go at striping the loco down - it's farily easy to do.

Once you have it apart there are some things you can chek.

1 - The gears...

Do they have any damage or wear?

Do they have any build up of dirt or other debris in the teeth?

2 - The chassis..

Does it show signs of wear in the axle bearing arches?

Does it show any sign of wear on the keeper plate?

3 - The armature/worm gears...

Does it show any wear on the worms?

Does it still have bearings?

Also - Check out YouTube to see if there is any video guide for this one - I'm sure there was at one time.

See attached Instruction sheet.

post-6887-0-41055400-1431628013_thumb.jpg

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

As others have mentioned, the Airfix Type 2 was, is and always will be a noisy .........(Chose your own non-RMweb word). :shout:  I think I have about 12 to 15 of them at present and cannot recall one running quiet in both directions, I have some that do run quietly in one direction only. :secret:

I have never investgated why they run noisily as they all run well and have very good haulage capacity.

Is it strange what one modeller will acept and another will not.

Thanks for the instruction sheet, I managed to take it apart yesterday and only had a quick look and gave the gears a quick oil. Will take it apart again and have a better look now I have had all the advice and thought through the problem, initially just thought it was dry gears, but it sounds like a football rattle.

Must also give the Mainline class 45 a clean and oil

Clive thanks for the info, but this one is a real noisy thing.

• RMweb Gold

Must also give the Mainline class 45 a clean and oil

Hi John,

If it's an original Mainline one...

Completely pull apart the power bogie.

There will be a fairly thick white/grey layer of grease - it gets darker as it ages and the motor is run.

First - Remove it all - from everywhere!

Then- Reassemble with only the smallest amount of oil on the bearing areas - include the armature ends where they show through the motor casing.

Do not try to clean the commutator copper surfaces.

Doing so will put tension on the fine wires to the motor windings and probably break them.

This will mean the motor is ruined - it's a serious issue!

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Thank you both for the replies, I will give the Mainline loco a quick service service and will follow the advice re the grease

The Airfix loco's chassis/motor seems intact and not split, the motors armature seems to be sprung, so cannot be tested once the wheels are off. The gears look to be un-damaged, but the motor is a bit sluggish so I guess its very knackered. I guess its needs the motor bogie replacing, but is it work it as the centre wheel is a plastic dummy mounded on to the chassis, Is there a more recent replacement? Still only lost £11.50 and could be something I could repaint and or detail

Archived