WD Austerity Fire Iron Holder

Theakerr

Did all the BR 2-8-0 Austerity locomotives, except those on the WR, have fire iron holders on the right hand side of the tender?  

Thanks

Even some of the WR ones got them, there's a picture in the large book on WDs which shows that the 'Swindon' tunnel was pretty narrow and awkward, it also restricted access to one of the lubricators or sand boxes, not got my copy to hand to check

Even some of the WR ones got them, there's a picture in the large book on WDs which shows that the 'Swindon' tunnel was pretty narrow and awkward, it also restricted access to one of the lubricators or sand boxes, not got my copy to hand to check

Many thanks for this - it helped me to twig that, because I bought the WR version of the WD by Farish, I need to remove the Swindon tunnel which sits in front of the cab on the RHS. A quick look at some North Eastern Region examples confirmed that only the tender location seems to have been used up here.

Thanks Gentlemen, but my question was did ALL WDs have them (except the Western)?  I am in the process of weathering and detailing a couple of my Bachmann WDs, so if some did not have the holder I will not put it on - I am lazy!.  My question is because there are some photos where the storage unit appears not to be there with the fire irons simply laid on the side of the tender.  However, in most cases the definition in these photos is not brilliant so i am really not sure.  

• RMweb Premium

I once modelled 90561 from a photo and DJH kit, that had two sets of lamp irons - the "normal" type and the WR set at 90 degrees. It also has both the tunnel on the footplate and brackets on the tender - complete with a wooden "plank" alongside the tender top. All done from photos - which I can't find at the moment.

post-408-0-95581300-1431893978.jpg

post-408-0-74429100-1431893979.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

The 'Ozzies' as we knew them are an absolute minefield, lots of little detail differences, much to do with those which were at some time allocated to the WR.

Not only was there the fire iron tunnel but a different top feed arrangement usually with a 'Swindon' cover, perhaps with the feed pipes taken under the boiler cladding as well.

It's well worthwhile picking up the Book Law Publications Book of the WD 2-8-0s, they're selling it at shows for £15 a copy, considering the cover price is £34.99 quite a bargain, but be warned it's heavy if you're carrying it far!

Several got 'Swindonised' even though they only spent a relatively short time allocated to the WR.

As an example I was looking for one allocated in the Nottingham area, preferably Colwick between about 1955-65, which had the WR additions, there is only one that fits the bill, but found it by cross-referencing the various lists in the above book, by good fortune there's also a picture so I'm looking to build up the entire train it's working.

As for were they all fitted, with the fire iron rack eventually I can't say but depending on your time period, there would quite likely be some without as it must have taken quite some time to do them all. A photo is your best guide.

As said a bit of a minefield.  However, Great Central and Mick you have made em feel a bit better.  By mistake I purchased a Swindonised WD and I model ER  I could renumber it and figured I could get the fire iron holder on the footplate removed but could not find a source for the top feed (someone else was looking for said top feed on the forum).  So even though as a friend said when I pointed out my mistake, no one else will know and not to worry, I would know and was about to get rid of it.  Now I can keep it and it just happens to be the best runner of my three.  Will probably try to get the Booklaw Book sent over but Great Central can you tell mech which one it was you are referring to.

Thanks Gentlemen, but my question was did ALL WDs have them (except the Western)?  I am in the process of weathering and detailing a couple of my Bachmann WDs, so if some did not have the holder I will not put it on - I am lazy!.  My question is because there are some photos where the storage unit appears not to be there with the fire irons simply laid on the side of the tender.  However, in most cases the definition in these photos is not brilliant so i am really not sure.  

Re your last comment here - definition - the tender version doesn't always stand out well, witness this detail of a NE WD:

post-24552-0-97251100-1432031257.jpg

As said a bit of a minefield. However, Great Central and Mick you have made em feel a bit better. By mistake I purchased a Swindonised WD and I model ER I could renumber it and figured I could get the fire iron holder on the footplate removed but could not find a source for the top feed (someone else was looking for said top feed on the forum). So even though as a friend said when I pointed out my mistake, no one else will know and not to worry, I would know and was about to get rid of it. Now I can keep it and it just happens to be the best runner of my three. Will probably try to get the Booklaw Book sent over but Great Central can you tell mech which one it was you are referring to.

It's title is WD 2-8-0s, the BR record bby John Hooper. I know they have it reduced at shows, not sure if they do online, probably worth a phone call to the shop otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

As said a bit of a minefield.  However, Great Central and Mick you have made em feel a bit better.  By mistake I purchased a Swindonised WD and I model ER  I could renumber it and figured I could get the fire iron holder on the footplate removed but could not find a source for the top feed (someone else was looking for said top feed on the forum).  So even though as a friend said when I pointed out my mistake, no one else will know and not to worry, I would know and was about to get rid of it.  Now I can keep it and it just happens to be the best runner of my three.  Will probably try to get the Booklaw Book sent over but Great Central can you tell mech which one it was you are referring to.

I had done exactly the same as you, but in N Gauge - bought a Farish WD and plumped for the weathered one, but I hadn't researched WDs in this area at that point and always meant for it to be a 51C allocation. I sourced a top feed from nbrasslocos.co uk. I don't think they do a OO version, but the N Gauge is new, so it might be in preparation. One other variation up here was that some of the replacement boilers were stayed differently and had hand holes above the crown of the inner firebox, instead of washout plugs. This resulted in the handrails (both sides) and the vacuum ejector pipe (LHS) being doglegged to suit. Most of these rebuilds of the original boilers were done at Darlington, but a few were done at Crewe and Gorton. I'm not going to attempt this in N, but it's a possibility in OO.

post-24552-0-10080200-1433195552.jpg

Archived