The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Modern Dilemmas No.59

Arthur

Yeah, I am fortunate in being pretty robust in the digestive department, about the level of a dog according to my wife.

Even so, seafood +vindaloo+24 hour journey was still pushing the envelope.

I hope you took plenty of lager on board.

Lager - the only thing that can kill a vindaloo!

Let's see how many RMWeb members recognise the quote.

Oh no - it's Red Dwarf....and the interesting bit about a 'White Hole.....' :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Lager - the only thing that can kill a vindaloo!

Let's see how many RMWeb members recognise the quote.

Oh, smeg, yes! The Vindaloo Monster! Why did Lister take the time to flip the bird through the porthole of the door he just slammed between him and the monster chasing him and his mates?

In my experience, those two might be more appropriate the other way round?

Similar experience in Newcastle where the vindaloo comes with a side dish of Savlon. Just replace 'Ring Of Fire' with 'Silence Is Golden' on the musak machine!

• RMweb Gold

Similar experience in Newcastle where the vindaloo comes with a side dish of Savlon. Just replace 'Ring Of Fire' with 'Silence Is Golden' on the musak machine!

Many years ago we lads in the Control were learning about curry strengths. You know the sort of progression - Korma, Bhuna, Madras, Vindaloo, Bangalore Phal etc.  On Friday after late turn we would head for a restaurant, while the following Friday we'd be nights, so one of us would head out for a takeaway about 11.

[i try to forget the night we came back up the road and there was a distressed colleague leaning out of the window with the dreary message "We're all in the sh1t - off the road at New Cross Gate!" At least it was inside clear, but it did beggar the ballast programme a bit, I think.]

Anyway, some of us were more experienced than others, but I recall Keith trying a Vindaloo for the first time. He took one mouthful, then rushed off saying "%^*+ing Vindaloo - where's that water!" Worse, next day he and his lady were at a wedding. His digestive tract had been obedient earlier in the day, and he now found walking actually quite uncomfortable. So he located a warm radiator and stood for quite a long time with his back to it, basking in some relief.

• RMweb Gold

Vindallo is nothing - when I was working in Sydney the office developed a habit of going out to lunch en masse on a Friday, working our way through variety of Asian restaurants.  Anyway one week we duly called into a Japanese deli on the way back and one of our number - a Singapore Chinese chap  - decided to get some wasabi ice cream.  That was amazing stuff, one tiny spoonful and it felt like drinking a river wouldn't quench the result in your throat.

I went to one back street Thai restaurant and ordered something which was apparently hot from the menu which I couldn't make much sense of; but the waiter flatly refused to write it down on his order pad saying it was much too hot for me. I tried to insist but there was no way he was going to allow me to have it, so eventually I gave in and asked him what he would recommend and had that instead.

I often wondered what it was that I never had.

On a cycling trip in E. Europe in 1990, a group of us had a 'Goulash' in Hungary - it was just a watery 'soup' with a large knuckle of some animal, not much meat on it and some veggies of various colours. I picked up a small part of a red vegetable, said "do you think this is Tomato" to which the response was "Try it"!

I managed a couple of chews before 'it' hit me and by golly, did that burn my taste-buds completely out or what???

I did a fair impression of the guy who steps in as a judge at a chilli eating contest!

The burning started to fade after about an hour or so but my mouth didn't completely recover for a couple of days.

Vindaloo is easy to deal with - just take a couple of mouthfuls, savour the flavour and allow the spices to 'burn out' your taste buds and away you go - DON'T drink anything until you've finished!

I couldn't have do that in Hungary!

Cheers,

John E.

Archived