The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Modern Dilemmas No.59

Arthur

So, you're just about to have lunch at the hotel, to be shortly followed by two seven hour flights.

Is the Seafood Vindaloo a wise choice?

Discuss amongst yourselves, I'll give you a definitive answer tomorrow......

Can the seafood be tasted through vindaloo sauce?

You do not mention where you are.

If the hotel is The Dorchester or Claridges, you might be ok, but if it is The Deevana in Phuket you may wish to refrain.

• RMweb Gold

So, you're just about to have lunch at the hotel, to be shortly followed by two seven hour flights.

I know what my Indian relatives consider to be appropriate food for travelling and it isn't like the OP's.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

We don't have enough data to decide. The other options might be even worse.

But given that it is 7-hour flights, I would expect to get fed on the plane and, as grim as airline food can be, would probably give the vindaloo a miss.

Well, thanks for the considered discussion chaps, most enlightening.

Now home after a journey approaching 24 hours in total.

The hotel was a small 4 star hotel in Mauritius where the food had been very good so I approached the 'experiment' with a degree of optimism. Bit of a Mars/Venus thing going on, my wife had a salady/fruity kind of lunch, Seafood Vindaloo for me despite her incredulity, 'you're not really going to have that are you'. It's a man thing.

Result, total success......almost. Have to say that after a journey of 6,000 miles, I did have 'the pedal to the metal' for the last couple of miles......

So, wise choice? This time, yes, but, you're playing with fire, bit like Russian Roulette, one day there'll be a bullet in the chamber, Your Choice.

Now home after a journey approaching 24 hours in total.

The hotel was a small 4 star hotel in Mauritius where the food had been very good so I approached the 'experiment' with a degree of optimism. Bit of a Mars/Venus thing going on, my wife had a salady/fruity kind of lunch, Seafood Vindaloo for me despite her incredulity, 'you're not really going to have that are you'. It's a man thing.

Result, total success......almost. Have to say that after a journey of 6,000 miles, I did have 'the pedal to the metal' for the last couple of miles......

So, wise choice? This time, yes, but, you're playing with fire, bit like Russian Roulette, one day there'll be a bullet in the chamber, Your Choice.

24 hours to go 6000 miles!?? You could get to Singapore and back in roughly the same time!

Yeah, long journey in total. 3 hours between leaving the hotel and take off, 7 hours in the air, 4 hours between flights at Dubai, 7 hours in the air again, 3 hours Gatwick to home.

• RMweb Gold

... Bit of a Mars/Venus thing going on, my wife had a salady/fruity kind of lunch, Seafood Vindaloo for me despite her incredulity, 'you're not really going to have that are you'.

Mother in Law informs me that it is usually the fruit or salad that causes "problems". So you were both lucky!

Yeah, long journey in total. 3 hours between leaving the hotel and take off, 7 hours in the air, 4 hours between flights at Dubai, 7 hours in the air again, 3 hours Gatwick to home.

God Almighty, no wonder it risked being squeaky bum time.

• RMweb Premium

Mother in Law informs me that it is usually the fruit or salad that causes "problems". So you were both lucky!

Wasn't it Michael Palin on one of his forays who said never touch uncooked food and only drink hot drinks in the hotter parts of the world.

I'm not sure that playing Russian Roulette in that way would be appreciated by my digestive system. But, each to his own I suppose.

I tend to take the view that if I treat it kindly most of the time, it will return the complement when I over indulge.

However, I can get the almost immediate effects associated with dodgy prawn vindaloo by a far more simple eating choice - just by eating cheese, any cheese; but especially uncooked. Presumably the bacteria in cheese and my inner pipework do not get on at all.

Archived