Neely - Present day nearly Ely in N

Revolution Ben

• 2 months later...

Well a very important and exciting development for Neely. We now have a working great northern / fcc 365 emu. Terry just needs some help with an Aerial view of a 365 pantograph and working light clusters. I will ask a fellow signaller who may be kind enough to help from his box. This is a 3D printed model from shape ways I believe on a Bachmann farish desiro 150 chassis. Terry will correct if this is wrong. All I can say is well done and this looks very smart and ran brilliantly on Neely tonight.

post-23658-0-26629700-1455055685_thumb.jpeg

post-23658-0-42184600-1455055695_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The pantograph on the Electrostars is in my view the one thing that lets this otherwise superb model down. It's generic, very heavily sprung and in my view the detailing is clumsy. I think suspect it's just an off-the-shelf Somerfeldt or similar unit, possibly obtained via Lilliput which is part of the same company.

I believe the pantographs on the 321s are as good as identical to those on the 365s, and as Revolution is going ahead with the 321 we may look at offering the pantograph as a spare if there is demand.

With that in mind, maybe the Farish panto you already have is a decent enough placeholder.

If you want something finer now, I think your best bet is the Dapol high speed pantograph, although unfortunately the dimensions aren't right and the support arms are too long.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I haven't looked into it, but I am pretty sure some of the older Mk3 units (ie Class 313) have the older style pantograph with the wider framing which Dapol also do - I think their panto pack contains one of each. The older panto that Dapol do is actually a pretty decent representation in my view.

The problem with doing spares - especially in the volumes used in the N gauge market - is that while it costs very little to run a few additional mouldings they then need assembling and putting in specially designed packaging. This can escalate the cost considerably where production runs are small. We will certainly look into it though.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

That could be a really useful spare.  What's the chance that the 321 panto would be a match for units such as the 313, 317, 318, 319 etc - all built in a relatively similar timeframe?  Could be a good one for scratchbuilders.

Hi Paul

IIRC the 321 all had a Brecknell Willis highspeed, some of the 319s did from new but some had Stone Faiveley (which Dapol also do). 317s Stone Faiveley from new, some refurbished with Brecknell Willis.  313s Stone Faiveley from new, not sure if any have ever had a Brecknell Willis put on.

Cheers, Mike

Hi,

I have done some research and have come up with the following....

The Dapol Pantograph Twin Pack contains one Brecknell Willis (I believe that this is the right hand image) and one Stone Faiveley (left hand image I believe) pantograph.

From Wikipedia…….Class 365…….When they transferred to West Anglia Great Northern for use with 25 kV AC overhead line traction supply, the shoes and associated equipment were removed and a Brecknell Willis high speed pantograph was installed…………..

Unless you know otherwise!!post-12703-0-25693100-1455107918_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Terry,

That's aboslutely right.

Incidentally, I just passed through Hornsey and all the 313s I could see still have Stone Faiveley's - those were the ones I meant when I referred to "older pantos" in my post above - I couldn't recall the manufacturer name!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

And the 317's still have the SF version.

I'll take the camera to work tomorrow and see if I can get a good shot out of the box windows.... I'll also see if I can get pictures of the roof details as well for you. As for the odd looks I will get.....

(sadly I can't get details of the NRN pod, as they have all been removed now, and odd little conduit thingys have appeared instead (presumably the GSM-r ariels)).

The light clusters on the front should be easy enough. But if you are doing them since the start of the re-ferbs, you will have to choose your unit numbers. Some had the ring around the large Hi-beam lamp painted light yellow on the blue units (which had the older golden yellow panels) and some of the units had the dark yellow ones while the panel was the lighter colour, and all looked odd.

I'll see which units pass tomorrow.

Andy G

Thanks Andy for offering.

I am planning on painting the model to represent the Thameslink Great Northern livery.

In terms of the running lights all I really need to know are which front lights illuminate during day time running. I understand that the two outer most lighting pods are the red tail lights but I do not know which of the four front lighting pods are illuminated. With this information I then can commence planning the details for the 0603 LED lighting.

Kind regards

Edited by terrysoham

• RMweb Gold

Hi Terry,

This pic should answer your question: https://flic.kr/p/reRGkn

Outers red, centre bright white marker, inner golden white main headlight, lit on right side of cab (from driver's position) for day running.

I think these are the light clusters you have on your print, though it's hard to make out on the white.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Terry,

You'll have to carve the NRN pod off the front and rear cars roof then, NRN went about 18 months before GTN exisited... ;-0

And I forgot the camera today, I'll try harder for tomorrow!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

The headlights are lit (looked at as the train is heading towards you): red (off) white marker (off) yellow halogen (lit, daytime), yellow halogen (unlit nighttime), white marker (lit), red (off).

The markers tend to look almost as bright (if not brighter) than the Halogens.

It's not unusual to see the night halogen on (with the white marker on the other side on too) in the daytime, owing to bulb failures, and it has happened more than once where the unit has arrived with whites on both front and rear...

Andy G

• Like 1

Well done everyone for the help, I shall help terry with updates on this model for all to see. If you want to see it in the flesh we had discussions for it to be running at Nottingham exhibition next month. Come and see it and terry excellent layout.

Well done everyone for the help, I shall help terry with updates on this model for all to see. If you want to see it in the flesh we had discussions for it to be running at Nottingham exhibition next month. Come and see it and terry excellent layout.

Having primed the Class 365, I debated with Paul (bigP on RMweb) who did all the CAD work and Neil (my fellow conspirator on Neely) about whether I was going to rub them down to get rid of the print lines on the sides.

Well I have taken their advice and, having rubbed down both of the driving cars, I am delighted with the improvement.

However, next time I prime a 3D print I will just do a couple of coats so that I can see what needs rubbing down rather than the four I have applied. Four coats means a lot of rubbing down!!

post-12703-0-98830800-1455295144_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

I'll tell you its quite difficult to get action shots of the pan even at low speeds, its taken many attempts even with burst mode to get these!

post-8375-0-19722000-1455445447.jpg

post-8375-0-42386700-1455445472.jpg

post-8375-0-08928000-1455445506_thumb.jpg

post-8375-0-07458400-1455445530_thumb.jpg

post-8375-0-28796400-1455445543.jpg

Then heres some pictures of the cab roof. You can see the vent and the round thingy over the cab ok here, but it you follow the roof ridge back you will see the ariel too, I haven't managed to get a clear picture of it yet!

post-8375-0-77800400-1455445580.jpg

post-8375-0-78067000-1455445599.jpg

Here's what I meant about the led side light being brighter than the halogen one:

post-8375-0-90295000-1455445640.jpg

Also look at the roof, you will see the three bits I'm talking about above the cab.

Andy G

• Like 1

Thanks Andy. Very, very helpful. Especially the lighting pix. You've also helped me sort out the roof (dark grey) and the ends (black or is it very dark grey?) colours.

I have played with my IWata airbrush today for the first time. My wife suffers from paint and other allergies so I had to get her special dispensation to use it in the model railway room (upstairs spare bedroom) with the door firmly closed and acrylic paint so as to minimise the smell. She has agreed that it doesn't smell so I may be ok for further practise this afternoon. Going to Missenden in three weeks' time to learn how to use it properly.

Half term this week so Grandson and I are going to Kings Lynn by train on Wednesday for a treat. Me to look at 365s close up. He to visit a toy shop to look at Hot Wheels model cars and, more than likely, cajole Grandad into buying him something. Weatherspoon's for lunch. This family knows how to live!!

Once again thanks for your pix.

Kind regards

• RMweb Premium

Stewart, that is indeed, my trusty steed that gets me back and forth to work everyday.

The ends are (waiting for a train to arrive to be able to tell) is the same colour as the roof, a dark grey.

Also 365 553 is running around with the new livery but has on the south end a golden yellow bezel around the RHS halogen lamp..

Don't forget to remove those NRN pods on the roof Terry!

Andy G

• 2 weeks later...

Neely will be appearing at the Nottingham Exhibition on 12 & 13 March with two brand new and, probably, seen for the first time ever, models! Come along and see if you can spot them. To give you a clue one of these often gets held up at the level crossing gates at Ely and the other is sometimes the cause.

Busy now vacuuming the track, cleaning the rail heads and the wheels using IPA, checking the back to backs so as to, hopefully, result in a trouble free weekend (fingers crossed).

Due to ill-health there has been a change of operating personnel with our Chairman, Andy Wilkinson, making his debut on a dcc layout. Come and say hello.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The photograph is of a Shapeways Class 365 emu designed by bigP (Paul).

The coaches have been fitted to slightly modified GF Class 350 chassis.

The livery is Thamelink Govia's Great Northern and is my first attempt at airbrushing and lining (thanks to Ian Rathbone's recent course at Missenden). The front and rear units are fitted with GF Voyager lighting units utilising Zimo stay alives (to remove the light flickers) and function only decoders. The pantograph is a modified Dapol version.

The photograph shows a down unit shortly to enter Neely station.

post-12703-0-29922200-1461670804_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11