Neely - Present day nearly Ely in N

Revolution Ben

Terry, I am really looking forward to seeing Neely, next weekend, at Peterborough. This an absolutely stunning model of a station that I visit every day. I will, of course, be bringing a high-powered microscope to see if I can spot Ely's unique feature - the overflow pipe in the shape of an eel's head! (Tongue firmly in cheek).

Are you considering incorporating the new by-pass as a scenic break on the Cambridge end?

Barry Denyer

Thank you for your kind words.

Is there any chance of an invite for the Ely and District MRC members please. My co-conspirator Neil would be especially interested as he often runs the modern day Ely from the Cambridge box.

Kind regards

Of course. A bit of notice is required so I can man the boxes. I think I met Neil when I was testing Sawston crossing.

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see a modern layout of one of my local stations. I will be in Ely for choral evensong at the cathedral this afternoon.

Give my regards to Neil. I spent a lot of time discussing N gauge with him at shift change time at Downham before he went to Ely and I retired.

Ian T (Tommo)

Great to meet you at Peterborough and the 'behind the scenes' look at Neely. Personally, I think that it looks great as it is and any extension (over the river) will just mean extra work - lugging another baseboard to an exhibition.

Interesting to note the degree of concentration by the two operators. Keeping every thing moving in accordance with the schedule/timetable would be frightening for a novice (like me) but they made it look simple. Very slick and 'professional'.

All in all, Neely was a credit to all of your hard work. I continue to be very impressed with this model and you thoroughly deserve all of the accolades that must surely come your way.

Barry Denyer

(A frequent visitor to Ely and, now, Neely)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am attending yet another Missenden modellers' weekend - my first after my stroke. I am having a great time with lots of help from fellow modellers. My special thanks to Mick Moignard, the tutor on the sound decoder course who has fitted my ESU sound decoder and speaker from Legobiffoman to my Class 365 emu. This emu wll have its first outing at the Cambridge model railway club's 2018 exhibition, 14 April. I also want to thank Alan Edgar who, incidentally, is Cambidge MRC's exhibition manager for kindly giving me a lift to and from Missenden. The railway modellers who attend Missenden really are a close knit and friendly community who have looked after me so well, My thanks also to David and Chris and Pete who have also contibuted so much to enhancing my weekend.

I am grateful to you all.

Regards

Edited by terrysoham

Ran my LegoBiffoman/DC Kits sound decodered Class 365 on Neely today - wonderful! So good that I ordered another ESU sound decoder for the second 365 from DC Kits (with Charlie's help to ensure that I ordered the right one).

I will have to try to fit this one myself as Mick Moignard fitted the first one for me at the Missenden Modeller's Weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately after fitting the second sound decoder received from DC Kits, I managed to short out the amplifier! So, I chatted to Charlie of DC Kits who said that it was likely to be a warranty repair job. Damaged decoder now sent back to DC Kits. Awaiting confirmation of its safe arrival from Charlie.

• 1 month later...

I was at the MRC exhibition yesterday, and whilst waiting for my train, told the (surprised) staff at customer services about the layout. Perhaps dropping by would be an idea? It.could be for charity... (E.g. 'The biggest donor to (station-supported charity) gets a go at playing trains at the Clubrooms'.). That way, the charity gets money and the donor could develop a model rail interest.

• 3 months later...

I have previously been concerned that the introduction of MERG point direction indicators and the combination of PanelPro sensors

resulted in the spurious firing of points in the storage area. So I removed the sensrs from PanelPro which I believe has cured the problem. I have also decided to run a mix of sound decoder fitted stock and non-sound decoder fitted stock. After my stroke, I found that I couldn’t control the sound fitted ones which came with inertia. I wanted to be able to stop sound fitted stock on the proverbial sixpence and I found that I couldn’t due to the inertia.

After several months I hope to commence the exhibition circuit again in 2019 with one day shows at Letchworth, Chelmsford and Ipswich. Hope to see you there.

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words. I have very much enjoyed doing the 25 set sequences that were developed for the exhibition circuit in the privacy of my own home with no pressure just for my own pleasure. Anybody who has had a stroke will know that a big problem is the scary nature of the recovery as a result of loss of confidence. My advice is rely on your mates, let them do the work that you misguidedly thought only you could do.

Here are a few things that I have done during my recovery. Firstly photos of the revamped island platform canopy and waiting room/cafe. Secondly some trees using copper aerial wire to make the armatures and clump foliage super glued to the branches.

post-12703-0-68705200-1535380534_thumb.jpeg

post-12703-0-06984100-1535380561_thumb.jpeg

post-12703-0-03385300-1535380965_thumb.jpeg

Edited by terrysoham
  • Like 10

Just spotted this one for the first time too. I have very happy memories of mooching around Ely station during the holidays when staying with relatives in East Anglia during the '90s and '00s so the layout really strikes a chord with me :)

Fantastic modelling and shows just what can be done when the potential

of 2mm scale is maximised. That station building is superb too!

Inspiring stuff so thanks for sharing,

David