Neely - Present day nearly Ely in N

Revolution Ben

Saw the layout at the Ely show over the weekend and was most impressed.

A question: Did you consider setting the model in the pre-electrification era? There would have been more variety of freight, including lots of Speedlink traffic, plus locomotive hauled trains to Kings Lynn and the Harwich Boat Train.

Hopefully the Wisbech line will be re-opened soon, so more traffic to include.

Nick

Nick,

No I didn't think about modelling Ely in the pre-electrification phase. But I need to explain that statement more carefully........

When I joined the Ely and District Model Railway Club just less than 5 years ago I had only ever model outdoors in G scale. Some of the club members were building a fictitious N scale layout set "somewhere in the West Country" which was 20 foot long called Westgate Park. After about 3 visits I asked if I could join that group realising the potential that N scale offered with the sort of vistas that I was used to in G scale.

However I thought Westgate Park was "old school" - robust baseboards that you could drive a Landrover over without damaging them which were also so heavy that two fit men were needed to move them about. But, in my eyes, having used and constructed battery powered, radio controlled locos in G scale with sound, lights and uncouplers, worst of all it was still analogue controlled. I could readily appreciate the reason for this because the stock owned by the members were analogue and fitting decoders was/is an expensive proposition.

A year later and I knew that I wanted to build my own exhibition layout but extending my boundaries by going down the DCC route. I had spent many happy hours dining in the Cutter Inn on the quayside in Ely happily watching the present day train movements and I had my Eureka moment when I decided to model the current Ely Station.

So Nick that's why it's modern day. The question now is do I consider putting the overhead catenary in, I am very, very tempted.

Terry

Edited by terrysoham
  • Like 2

Terry

Thanks for the answer.

Before you start building a couple of Class 365 units, don't forget that GTR are planning new(ish) stock for the Kings Lynn service, I think they will be former Thameslink 377 units but not 100% sure.

Nick

Terry

Thanks for the answer.

Before you start building a couple of Class 365 units, don't forget that GTR are planning new(ish) stock for the Kings Lynn service, I think they will be former Thameslink 377 units but not 100% sure.

Nick

Nick,

I've already bought three Farish class 350 EMU Desiros from Rails of Sheffield at a good price in anticipation of running overhead electrics next year. Whether I try to do any conversion of these to something more prototypical depends on whether anyone is prepared to produce any suitable front ends. Otherwise I shall be running Silver Link!

Terry

Super stuff. My own 'model' is of the old layout and covers up to North Junction, slightly beyond and out to Soham, Waterbeach and Sutton. Do you find any constraints with the back platform line trains having to share the up main?

post-12703-0-19030200-1432820854_thumb.jpg

This is a copy of the track plan for Neely showing the main North-South running lines and the single track off to Felixstowe docks (from whence most of the freight originates), platform positions, and position of signal masts.  

You can also see the large storage area at the rear of the layout representing Kings Cross, Kings Lynn, Norwich, Peterborough, Cambridge, Stansted and Ipswich for the passenger stock, four freight roads representing Felixstowe and Peterborough and one representing Middleton Towers/Peterborough for the sand trains.

• Like 3

Super stuff. My own 'model' is of the old layout and covers up to North Junction, slightly beyond and out to Soham, Waterbeach and Sutton. Do you find any constraints with the back platform line trains having to share the up main?

On the contrary, it adds to the fun! You may or may not know that the Ely area is now bidirectionally signalled so just occasionally I've seen down trains in the up platform and sometimes we get a Kings Cross - Ely EMU "parked" on the up side of platform three with the Norwich - Petrborough Dmu at the down end.

I'd love to see some photographs of your layout please.

What a nice looking layout.

This is the infamous Neely underpass! The real Ely one is only 9 feet high and gets regular bridge strikes.

I saw this linked from a thread I was reading on truck net - http://railwayeye.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/britains-best-bridge-bashes-new-feature.html.

Look at the third picture, I wonder when the driver realised that he wasn't going to make it under without losing his head?

Edited by Paul-2mm

On the contrary, it adds to the fun! You may or may not know that the Ely area is now bidirectionally signalled so just occasionally I've seen down trains in the up platform and sometimes we get a Kings Cross - Ely EMU "parked" on the up side of platform three with the Norwich - Petrborough Dmu at the down end.

I'd love to see some photographs of your layout please.

My signature appears on most of the testing documentation for the bidirectional works.. <g> I have no layout as such just a full size simulation using real signalling equipment. I have Ely North junction compressed into a 40 lever frame, Ely Station North with half of it's original lever frame and Ely Dock where due to space constraints I have used a 36 lever Westinghouse L lever frame.

• RMweb Premium

My signature appears on most of the testing documentation for the bidirectional works.. <g> I have no layout as such just a full size simulation using real signalling equipment. I have Ely North junction compressed into a 40 lever frame, Ely Station North with half of it's original lever frame and Ely Dock where due to space constraints I have used a 36 lever Westinghouse L lever frame.

And very pleasant it is to while away some time in them too! Although I do think you need to have more piccys of them up here to drool over....

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The line to Felixstowe is quite interesting as it carries a lot of freight but is only single track south of Ely as fas as Soham I believe. Here is a shot of a Redland aggregate train taken last summer heading south towards, I think, Marks Tey. The hoppers are an interesting mix, most of the wagons are ex-Lafarge liveried (themselves ex Redland aggregates) while there are also some ex-RMC JGAs in the mix - three available as a kit from the NGS and the other version RTR from Farish.

EDIT:  A bit more detail about the wagons.  They are a mix of repainted white Redland PGAs with the higher sides, some later build ones with high angled sides and a couple of the low-side variants that are still in very tatty Redland pale green.  These are probably the closest to the model offered by Farish which has end platforms and discharge gear which can only be described as "representative", at best.

post-420-0-48912000-1432855354_thumb.jpg

The location is just outside Barway, and is quite a good place to photograph as as there is little in the way of lineside foliage, allowing the whole train to be seen.  The train in this picture is travelling South-East, so the sun is best positioned after mid-day for shots in this direction.  Northbound trains are slightly harder to photograph.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks better on the rails rather than sat through the ouse bridge!

There are plans afoot to double to soham, but I keep hearing thats its on, then its off (the embankment will need rebuilding as its not strong enough, alledgedly) and then its back on again.....

Andy G

Andy my fellow signaller a letter went out to all soham residents regarding doubling the line and a station a few week back. So it looks like it's back on the agenda but we know what the railway is like lol. All I can say is Neely runs superbly with out all the hold ups that occur on the real thing.

Neil

Edited by Neil Watson

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

One thing I particularly like about this layout is its depiction of the big Fenland skies; living as I do fairly nearby I know they are a particular characteristic of the scenery in the Ely area.

Here are a couple more prototype shots that may be helpful, not taken at Ely itself but nearby...

First, another shot of one of the attractive mixed aggregate trains that provide some welcome variety.  Looking along the train the variety of wagon types makes a refreshing change...

post-420-0-17995900-1432935760_thumb.jpg

Intermodal services from Felixtowe are the most frequent type of freight traffic by some margin; this photograph shows the difficulties of photographing northbound trains at Barway.... The buildings in the background are, I believe, pig sheds.

post-420-0-31149900-1432935822_thumb.jpg

DBS intermodal...

post-420-0-02246900-1432935825_thumb.jpg

The Middleton Towers sand trains are distinctive and run several times a week.   This photograph was taken at Whittlesey, between March and Peterborough.  They were until recently operated by DBS until GBRf won the contract...

post-420-0-90401100-1432936013_thumb.jpg

Another aggregate train...

post-420-0-06693100-1432935918_thumb.jpg

And a close up of the hopper types that are most similar to the Farish PGA...

post-420-0-54319100-1432935919_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The sands run more than a few times a week Ben. The PAA's run twice a day in each direction (MWF) and once a day (Tu,Th, S), haulled by GBRF 66's. The so called 'Sand Storm' open bogies run on Tu, Th and S, hauled by a DB 66.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the information.

Which ones are the "sandstorm" trains?  I have seen the former Railtrack JNAs (with a few oddballs mixed in) at Whittlesey and Turves, but I thought they might be engineers' trains heading to Whitemoor:

post-420-0-29795000-1432969590_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-11865500-1432969644_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, my trips out taking photographs are few and far between.  I do use Realtime Trains, but it doesn't give freight headcodes, rather irritatingly!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3