Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Two-Coach Passenger Trains

RyanD280

The pic in post 17 is a shunt move so doesn't count! Yah boo sucks... Note shunt signal cleared and no tail light on the rear coach! :O

If you're not limiting it to passenger trains, the Edinburgh portion of the West Coast Postal used to be a Class 47 hauling a single BG. It would get to Carstairs and I think it was tagged on the end of the Electric-hauled Glasgow portion

... I say think because now I think about it I do remember a lot of unloading when it came in the platform before it went up into the siding to get out of the platform line.

A passenger train must always have a vehicle fitted with a handbrake. A BG by its name (Brake Gangway) has a handbrake, so could be with a coach in a passenger train consisting of something like a TSO/FK/whatever.

Whilst there was a DMU shortage Silverlink replaced services between Bletchley and Bedford with two coaches top and tailed by Class 31s supplied by Fragonset. Super power!!! The use of two 31s was to save run rounds.

Malcolm Burgoyne

We used to work the postal workers train between Clapham Junction and Kensington in the eighties, it was called The Kenny Belle" and was formed of two coaches, can't remember the formation. The 33 was worked from Hither Green.

Simon

If you're not limiting it to passenger trains, the Edinburgh portion of the West Coast Postal used to be a Class 47 hauling a single BG. It would get to Carstairs and I think it was tagged on the end of the Electric-hauled Glasgow portion

... I say think because now I think about it I do remember a lot of unloading when it came in the platform before it went up into the siding to get out of the platform line.

It was 1 x BG even after the Edinburgh Line was electrified, I have a shot of it coming of the Cobbinshaw line behind a class 87.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Barnstaple line ("branch" seems incongruous of this former SR main line) saw operation into the 1980s by class 33 with 3, 4 and sometimes 5 Mk1 coaches but seldom 2.  I would have said never but there's always someone with evidence to the contrary ;)

Plymouth - Penzance locals likewise retained some loco-hauled duties with short formations sometimes including vans but often with only 2 or 3 seated passenger coaches.  

The typical SR short-formation loco-hauled rake was a trio of Mk1s such as could be found on the Oxted line duties including (before the required time period) through workings to Brighton via Uckfield.

Moving north I too recall 2-coach trains in the Highlands of Scotland though usually outside the summer seasons when traffic could be sparse indeed.  I have travelled in or noted 2-coach trains on the Glasgow - Oban, Fort William - Mallaig, Inverness - Kyle and the respective portions of Far North trains between Georgemas and Wick / Thurso in the days when they still divided and attached and Georgemas was run like a "proper" junction.

Someone may know better but were not some West Wales trains in the 1980s also formed of 2-coach rakes substituting for DMUs and likewise up the Cardiff Valleys at times?

• Like 1

The 21.45 Bristol - Southampton was always a short train, a coach or two and a van or two.

It returned as a  02.45 Southampton - Bristol parcels service.

Here it is at Southampton with 2 coaches and a van

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/5714832967/in/photolist-611iFL-sXwACL-qyKMD4-64pmGq-daWA2x-dabg94-dgUheT-d1uB9q-cZNb5J-dosF5p-d9iQVW-dquy5H-d7Axcj-d7AAPm-e6wLTL-bpadhW-9H11JT-9J95RY-bxvoyk-bnoZzY-8qMAeH-bAjgCP-bjAvnJ-ovdpdK-e5wCMb-du6m2h-cSLqss-dBipFq-dsG5fz-rabUfg-r8PwNe-rpVVkK-tANsph

cheers

• Like 1

Not a passenger train, but it does fit in your 1980-1990 timeframe

attachicon.gifscan0186a.jpg

31312 passes Lawrence Hill in Bristol with two parcel vans, 2/6/81.

Have you searched Flickr for photos?

The Barnstaple line was worked by various loco and coaches sets over the years,

I  searched for 'Barnstaple 50'  and found 3 coach trains hauled by 50s , there must be two coach trains out there!

cheers

Thanks, I never considered looking on Flickr.  Great photo by the way.

• 2 years later...

The 21.45 Bristol - Southampton was always a short train, a coach or two and a van or two.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/5714832967/in/photolist-611iFL-sXwACL-qyKMD4-64pmGq-daWA2x-dabg94-dgUheT-d1uB9q-cZNb5J-dosF5p-d9iQVW-dquy5H-d7Axcj-d7AAPm-e6wLTL-bpadhW-9H11JT-9J95RY-bxvoyk-bnoZzY-8qMAeH-bAjgCP-bjAvnJ-ovdpdK-e5wCMb-du6m2h-cSLqss-dBipFq-dsG5fz-rabUfg-r8PwNe-rpVVkK-tANsph

cheers

What route did this take?

cheers

Excellent

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I still remember seeing 4 coach main line trains Plymouth Penzance with a 50 on.

Short but main line mix of TSO SK BSK CK, usually 2 seconds CK BSK, but have seen 3 a few times. (3 in total)

Edited by MJI

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, I like the idea of the DMU replacement service, the idea of a class 50 on 2 coaches sounds great!

I once had a terrific main line run in a 5-coach formation with a pair on the front, both running.

The driver was evidently enjoying the 5,400hp on tap greatly, scrupulously sticking to speed limits but early at every stop and having to brake in places where the usual 1+9 formation never required it.........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

If I remember correctly, the last train of the day

from Wadebridge to Padstow was one coach, pulled by

a Westcountry!

Edit: Sorry, just realised its before the era you quoted.

Edited by rab

Mid-1980s saw two or three coach workings from Carlisle to Newcastle, after the withdrawal of the first-generation units, and the laggardly introduction of their replacements. There was also a two or three van postal train which ran from Carlisle, via Newcastle, to Edinburgh.

The "pacer replacers", I think I have seen pics with a 26, 31, 47 doing those turns.

• RMweb Gold

If I remember correctly, there were trains on the Bedford - Bletchley line for a while formed of two coaches with a Fragonset 31 at each end.

31468 and 601 top and tail a Bletchley- Bedford service on 5th July 1999.

post-18087-0-46273100-1524515757_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not a normal 2-coach duty but last week there was a temporary shortage of diesel units on SWR which resulted in the 10.20 Waterloo - Exeter, normally formed of two 159s i.e. 6-car instead offering just a solitary 2-coach class 158 for the journey. Needless to say it was hopelessly overcrowded.

• Friendly/supportive 1